Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
SDC is not "available" for a mixed carrier routing per SDC rules.
However, as an award ticket, you can make a change to the ORD-EZE all UA routing (and you can waitlist for such a change).
An agent can make this change anytime if the ORD-EZE space opens up, there will be a change fee and if within the 24 hours of travel window the SDC ee if lower will apply.

Also if the the rest of the ticket is business, you can waitlist for ORD-YYZ segment, not SDC but an option.
Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Gotcha, thanks.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
An SDC on a broken fare will require a supervisor override. You shouldn't count on getting it.
still not clear to me this is a broken fare. OP refers to ‘broken segment’, and I’m not too sure what that means.

If ticketed as XXX-YYY and YYY-ZZZ, all in one fare class, and within the window for it to be a connection (I.e, <4 hours for domestic/transborder, <24 hours for international) then SDC should be available, provided the space is. If it truly is a broken fare than yes, you are correct.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:02 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by emcampbe

still not clear to me this is a broken fare. OP refers to ‘broken segment’, and I’m not too sure what that means.

If ticketed as XXX-YYY and YYY-ZZZ, all in one fare class, and within the window for it to be a connection (I.e, <4 hours for domestic/transborder, <24 hours for international) then SDC should be available, provided the space is. If it truly is a broken fare than yes, you are correct.
OP has twice said something along the lines of not being able to get .bomb to price XXX-ZZZ outright and thinks they bought XXX-YYY and YYY-ZZZ separately just on a single PNR, so while I agree your interpretation is still *possible* I'm not sure why you're trying so hard to sell it but w/o knowing the original fare construction I guess all we can do is speculate.

And as long as we're being technically correct (the best kind of correct! ) isn't it possible to have to a broken fare where the two fare components just coincidentally happen to have the same rbd? (Although in that case loosey-goosey IT might let you SDC it as if it were a single fare anyway)
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by emcampbe
It seems pretty clear to me. There was no applicable throughfare, so OP's ticket was constructed end-on-end.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zorak
And as long as we're being technically correct (the best kind of correct! ) isn't it possible to have to a broken fare where the two fare components just coincidentally happen to have the same rbd? (Although in that case loosey-goosey IT might let you SDC it as if it were a single fare anyway)
Yes, that is 100% possible, on both counts — you can have a broken fare that happens to book into the same RBD on both segments, and UA’s IT might get confused.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
It is my understanding to be a broken fare too. I’ll see what happens and report the results. Worst case I’ll call in and plead my case.
They’re both in the same RBD (P class) FWIW. I also checked expertflyer and there does not seem to be a fare published for that route.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 31, 2018 at 1:30 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I think you can SDC a broken fare now. At least I could last week when I booked one sort of last minute and then saw my SDC options. It was a one-way flight with a connection in ORD. First segment booked into "E" and the second segment booked into "G". SDC options appeared normal and gave me all options where the first leg had "E" and the second leg had "G" open. This was booked as a one-way, not a multi-city.

Again, all done through the app with no agent intervention required.

-RM
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I think you can SDC a broken fare now. At least I could last week when I booked one sort of last minute and then saw my SDC options. It was a one-way flight with a connection in ORD. First segment booked into "E" and the second segment booked into "G". SDC options appeared normal and gave me all options where the first leg had "E" and the second leg had "G" open. This was booked as a one-way, not a multi-city.

Again, all done through the app with no agent intervention required.

-RM
Did it allow you to change the connection point? When I’ve seen that — with PZ on one leg but not the other — it limited me to connections through my current point.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by jsloan

Did it allow you to change the connection point? When I’ve seen that — with PZ on one leg but not the other — it limited me to connections through my current point.
I didn't play close enough attention but I want to say it was the same as we see when we're upgraded on some legs...same connection point only unless you call.

-RM
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
That's what I would expect. The real block is when you want to change a connecting itinerary to a nonstop. E.g., EWR-LAX-SFO to EWR-SFO.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA Plat
I've got an award flight booked later this month (AKL to SMF via SFO, all UA metal). I booked it when there was a sale in the fall for 32,000 miles instead of 40,000. Would like to get it changed to leave a day later (same departure time, just next day). Each time I try changing it on the phone, the agent tries to charge me the 8,000 miles difference. Would I be able to SDC this without paying extra so long as the same fare classes were available on the next day's flights?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by therossinator
I've got an award flight booked later this month (AKL to SMF via SFO, all UA metal). I booked it when there was a sale in the fall for 32,000 miles instead of 40,000. Would like to get it changed to leave a day later (same departure time, just next day). Each time I try changing it on the phone, the agent tries to charge me the 8,000 miles difference. ...
Yes, that is to be expected -- the sale is finish and fare difference is due on changing flights even if you are exempt from change fees.

Originally Posted by therossinator
Would I be able to SDC this without paying extra so long as the same fare classes were available on the next day's flights?
SDC has no fare difference if the original fare class is available BUT SDC will not work for once a day flight -- does not meet the 24-hour rule since the doors closed before meeting 24-hour window.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Don't think I've ever tried this before. I have round-trip itinerary BKK-SFO. There's one UA segment, NRT-SFO. The return (in February) is NH operated (ticketed as UA codeshares). Will I be able to SDC the single UA segment NRT-SFO with two NH segments still on the ticket, albeit nearly two months in the future? My guess is "no" since UA would have to reissue the ticket, which will still contain partner flights, in connection with the change. But curious if others have experience with this scenario.
I believe that, at least if you use SDC in the app, it somehow "ignores" the return. It doesn't seem to mess with applied upgrade certificates, for example. But as I heavily favor UA metal, I don't think I've ever tried with non-UA metal on the return.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:04 pm

I have round-trip itinerary BKK-SFO. There's one UA segment, NRT-SFO. The return (in February) is NH operated (ticketed as UA codeshares). Will I be able to SDC the single UA segment NRT-SFO with two NH segments still on the ticket, albeit nearly two months in the future?
Originally Posted by raehl311
I believe that, at least if you use SDC in the app, it somehow "ignores" the return. It doesn't seem to mess with applied upgrade certificates, for example. But as I heavily favor UA metal, I don't think I've ever tried with non-UA metal on the return.
So I can now answer this . . . the App is showing me full SDC options, despite two NH segments still on the ticket. Unfortunately, tomorrow's NRT-SFO flight is heavily oversold in Y, with 12 J blocked, which means they are not opening any Z (or even D). So I can do an intermediate SDC, but don't think I can push back a full 24 hours to tomorrow's UA838. I could route NRT-EWR-SFO for an additional 8000 PQM though
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC 35K, SPG GOLD
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki)

I have YYZ-EWE-NRT coming up. The YYZ-EWR is very early in the morning. Can I SDC just that leg to fly the previous night. I never tried this and wanted to see if anybody did this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.