Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Sdc for a mileage run

post deleted

Last edited by fearless2357; Dec 10, 2018 at 3:32 pm
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fearless2357
I did something interesting in lieu of a end year mileage run.
This is a fantastic way to prevent people from getting upgrades and to encourage UA to limit the SDC feature. Calling was a particularly nice touch.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
One caveat to add: toward the end legs of my trip, I was not able to choose all valid routing seen on expert mode booking; I could only book what was available on the app / United's website with the button 'Switch to an earlier flight'. I called UA and asked why I couldnt sdc to BOS and transcon for example, even with the booking page for ORD to SFO showing Z was available and that was valid routing. They said the ''pricing dept' claimed the computer would not allow it and was beginning to charge a fare difference, since I had made "too many" changes already. However any options on the app or online were allowed. Moral of the story, if youryo gunning for a nice flight (i.e. lay flat transcon route), do this earlier in your sdc sequence.
PHX to SFO via ORD and BOS?

This is why we can’t have nice things.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by STS-134
I don't think the upgrade affected anything. EWR-BQN had been upgraded, but I wasn't looking to replace the upgraded segment, I wanted to fly it. I simply wanted more time between the inbound segment to EWR and the upgraded segment -- enough to visit NYC. In doing the SDC, I was trying to replace one T fare with another, and leave the upgraded segment alone, which I wasn't allowed to SDC anyway.
Key thing to understand about SDC --- you can not SDC a single segment, you must SDC the entire itinerary until the next stop. And SDC rules must be met by every segment until the next stop -- even if you want to leave that segment unchanged. All or nothing --- no partial changes. To stay on the same flight for some segments, there needs to be SDC availability for that segment also.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joe_miami
PHX to SFO via ORD and BOS?

This is why we can’t have nice things.
As an aside, not all routings that appear during a search are valid routings for a through fare. United will happily show you some search results that require a fare break (two fares priced end-on-end). I can assure you that ORD-BOS-SFO is not a valid routing. ORD-EWR-SFO is actually valid, but not in J (or Z); the fare rules for the first-class fares on most domestic routes, including ORD-SFO, explicitly forbid nonstop travel on the premium transcontinental fares. The app won't necessarily enforce that restriction, but phone agents have been known to do so -- especially when you appear to be gaming the system.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by jsloan
As an aside, not all routings that appear during a search are valid routings for a through fare. United will happily show you some search results that require a fare break (two fares priced end-on-end). I can assure you that ORD-BOS-SFO is not a valid routing. ORD-EWR-SFO is actually valid, but not in J (or Z); the fare rules for the first-class fares on most domestic routes, including ORD-SFO, explicitly forbid nonstop travel on the premium transcontinental fares. The app won't necessarily enforce that restriction, but phone agents have been known to do so -- especially when you appear to be gaming the system.
Honestly not trying to prove you wrong but this is only "generally" correct.

You can absolutely by a "J" fare ORD-SFO that has zero flight restrictions. For example the "JUA" fare ($3021 one-way for tomorrow) has absolutely no restrictions filed. You can take any flight you want including BOS-SFO, EWR-SFO, etc. So while your point is 99% valid because almost no one will ever buy that fare, there are fares filed that allow the lie-flats on premium transcon routes for a "simple" ORD-SFO.

Of course the more reasonably priced coach fares that book into a first/business class code specifically restrict the flights as you mentioned. And 99.9999999% of us would be on those fares.

-RM
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
You can absolutely by a "J" fare ORD-SFO that has zero flight restrictions. For example the "JUA" fare ($3021 one-way for tomorrow) has absolutely no restrictions filed. You can take any flight you want including BOS-SFO, EWR-SFO, etc.
This is only half true. Even for full fare, you have to follow the routing rules. You obviously can't fly ORD-HKG-SFO, but you couldn't do ORD-BOS-SFO either. I am surprised to note that both EWR and WAS are valid connection points:

Code:
    V FARE BASIS     BK    FARE   TRAVEL-TICKET AP  MINMAX  RTG
  2   JUA            J‡X  3721.01     ----      -    -/  -  620
PASSENGER TYPE-ADT                 AUTO PRICE-YES              
FROM-SFO TO-CHI    CXR-UA    TVL-10DEC18  RULE-2000 DFR/11
FARE BASIS-JUA               NORMAL FARE  DIS-N   VENDOR-ATP
FARE TYPE-FU      OW-FIRST CLASS UNRESTRICTED
USD  3461.40  0620  E03APR12 D-INFINITY   FC-JUA  FN-11   
SYSTEM DATES - CREATED 09NOV18/1918  EXPIRES INFINITY

PUBLISHED RTG SFO-CHI/UA620 /TAR-DRG1    EF-09NOV18 DIS-INDEF

MAP CONSTRUCTED LEFT TO RIGHT AND RIGHT TO LEFT
 1. SFO-WAS/LAX/HOU/EWR/DEN/CLE-CHI
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:02 pm

I can assure you that ORD-BOS-SFO is not a valid routing. ORD-EWR-SFO is actually valid, but not in J (or Z); the fare rules for the first-class fares on most domestic routes, including ORD-SFO, explicitly forbid nonstop travel on the premium transcontinental fares. The app won't necessarily enforce that restriction, but phone agents have been known to do so -- especially when you appear to be gaming the system.
I respect your viewpoint on this and I think it is a bit bad that I take a seat in F for every sdc I make. It's certainly not something I do regularly and it was more of a way of testing the system, especially since I did not plan to travel during the holiday weeks this year.

That said, when I called UA I did not mention anything about doing this for the PQMs and respectfully said it is fine if they could not change my flight. Despite this, if anyone believes UA is not aware of the loopholes in the system, that would be a naive statement; all customer agents at airports I flew thru were actually very positive and eager to help me with the flight change claiming they see people do this all the time... I only posted this as food for thought and avoided to rub it in when I talked with UA agents via phone or in person.

Note I've also done the same on Economy tickets because it's actually available via app (Phx to sfo thru ORD twice in Jan). Is that less bad karma since I flew coach?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note I've also done the same on Economy tickets because it's actually available via app (Phx to sfo thru ORD twice in Jan). Is that less bad karma since I flew coach?
Absolutely. UA is much less likely to care about Y inventory, and it's a much lower impact on other travelers. Forget upgrades for a moment -- UA makes a considerable about of ancillary revenue on buy-ups to F. That's not something they're going to be happy to see disappear.

I know that UA is aware that this happens, but the more often it occurs -- and the more social media posts there are about it -- the more likely they are to restrict it. UA used to be much more liberal with the stopover policy on awards; it was replaced with the "Excursionist Perk," likely as a matter of eliminating what UA felt was abuse.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:28 pm

I know that UA is aware that this happens, but the more often it occurs -- and the more social media posts there are about it -- the more likely they are to restrict it. UA used to be much more liberal with the stopover policy on awards; it was replaced with the "Excursionist Perk," likely as a matter of eliminating what UA felt was abuse.
Yeah definitely. I'm always on board with preserving perks and small loopholes that can make a big difference for others' flying experience. I guess it's better to keep on the quiet side about these types of things and also don't overdo it for the greater good. The same argument can be made for every type of loophole on flyertalk and we all should think more about the long instead of short game
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by findark
This is only half true. Even for full fare, you have to follow the routing rules. You obviously can't fly ORD-HKG-SFO, but you couldn't do ORD-BOS-SFO either. I am surprised to note that both EWR and WAS are valid connection points:

Code:
V FARE BASIS BK FARE TRAVEL-TICKET AP MINMAX RTG
2 JUA J‡X 3721.01 ---- - -/ - 620
PASSENGER TYPE-ADT AUTO PRICE-YES
FROM-SFO TO-CHI CXR-UA TVL-10DEC18 RULE-2000 DFR/11
FARE BASIS-JUA NORMAL FARE DIS-N VENDOR-ATP
FARE TYPE-FU OW-FIRST CLASS UNRESTRICTED
USD 3461.40 0620 E03APR12 D-INFINITY FC-JUA FN-11
SYSTEM DATES - CREATED 09NOV18/1918 EXPIRES INFINITY

PUBLISHED RTG SFO-CHI/UA620 /TAR-DRG1 EF-09NOV18 DIS-INDEF

MAP CONSTRUCTED LEFT TO RIGHT AND RIGHT TO LEFT
1. SFO-WAS/LAX/HOU/EWR/DEN/CLE-CHI
Thanks for the clarification! I missed that line. I just looked under FLIGHT APPLICABILITY RESTRICTIONS on EF. True, BOS would not be a valid connection point but the EWR-SFO premium transcon still is.

-RM
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Well, not exactly. While there have been problems with upgraded segments and in-app SDCs, I don't think that was the case here. In fact, it looks like a confluence of issues.

1 - In-app SDC doesn't always provide options for connecting flights when only one of the two legs is changing.
2 - The United computer isn't correctly* pricing itineraries that fit the exception to the four-hour transfer rule
3 - The agent didn't understand this exception and wasn't able to price what was, in retrospect, a valid change under that exception.

* I'm having a hard time proving that this exception exists, though. I'm quite certain that it did at one time, but neither United.com nor ITA Matrix will price an overnight transfer on a domestic itinerary (using a through fare) at this point. I can't find any notice of it on the APTCO website, either, so I'm not even sure what I'd point to if I were trying to prove the point. I can say that I successfully SDC'ed to an overnight transfer in March '17 by feeding the specific flights I wanted to the agent, but that may have been luck or just somebody who knew the old rules and didn't question them.

FWIW, the SFO-BQN fares appear to allow a free stopover at EWR, so it would have been possible to book it with the long layover initially. However, adding a stopover after the fact probably triggered a re-fare using the current (no-advance-purchase) fares, which would have led to the fare difference.
Yes, I think I remember seeing this when I originally booked the trip. In fact, I booked two of these trips, on two consecutive Sundays. I was fairly certain that on ONE of these weekends, I'd have something to do on Saturday night, but I wasn't sure which one it was, so I booked both of them with an early Sunday morning departure, with intention of SDCing the "other" trip. Except I was never permitted to do it without paying a $400 fare difference.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Key thing to understand about SDC --- you can not SDC a single segment, you must SDC the entire itinerary until the next stop. And SDC rules must be met by every segment until the next stop -- even if you want to leave that segment unchanged. All or nothing --- no partial changes. To stay on the same flight for some segments, there needs to be SDC availability for that segment also.
I think what happened may be due to lack of SDC availability on the EWR-BQN leg. In fact, this leg was in a possible oversale condition and the GAs were offering up to $1000 compensation to give up our seats. I volunteered, but they told me to board at the last moment because there were enough cancellations and/or no shows that they didn't need volunteers. One SBY pax even cleared. But the other strange thing is I was searching for fares from SFO-EWR (only) the day before, and I saw that the lowest fare they were selling was "H" and later "E". This matches what the UA agent told me over the phone -- that I'd have to buy up to an "H" fare. So although the website was showing T9, only "H" fares were available for sale. Note that the EWR-BQN segment would not affect sale of one-way tickets for SFO-EWR only.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:54 am
Suspended

I think what happened may be due to lack of SDC availability on the EWR-BQN leg. In fact, this leg was in a possible oversale condition and the GAs were offering up to $1000 compensation to give up our seats. I volunteered, but they told me to board at the last moment because there were enough cancellations and/or no shows that they didn't need volunteers. One SBY pax even cleared. But the other strange thing is I was searching for fares from SFO-EWR (only) the day before, and I saw that the lowest fare they were selling was "H" and later "E". This matches what the UA agent told me over the phone -- that I'd have to buy up to an "H" fare. So although the website was showing T9, only "H" fares were available for sale. Note that the EWR-BQN segment would not affect sale of one-way tickets for SFO-EWR only.
There’s no separate SDC bucket, though. If you searched the entire itinerary and found T availability in expert mode, as I believe you said earlier in the thread, then you should have been able to SDC, assuming no other rules were being broken. Searching individual segments is useless, for reasons others have mentioned.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Yes, I think what happened may be due to lack of SDC availability on the EWR-BQN leg
Since UA only flies to BQN from EWR it is logical they can never offer SDC since there are no other flights to offer
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by anandrag
Since UA only flies to BQN from EWR and only flies once per day it is logical they can never offer SDC since there are no other flights to offer
Added the bolded part, which is the key thing. You’re right about that, but I don’t believe the OP wanted to change that flight, just an earlier connecting flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.