Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
Had an interesting SDC failure recently. I was booked DEN-IAH-LHR on Sunday, with almost a 3 hr connection time in IAH. When I went to check in at T-24, I was interested to see if the later flight from DEN-IAH (which would give me only a 1.5 hr connection) was available. Not thinking it through very well, I didn't notice that the flight I was looking at the flight on Saturday (of course, because I wasn't within T-24 of the later flight). But, before confirming the change, I backed out of the flight change. When I went back in a minute later to complete the check-in process, the app said I couldn't check-in online, and needed to proceed to the airport to complete check-in. When I brought up the reservation in the app, it somehow had me listed on the DEN-IAH-LHR flight on Saturday (departing a little over an hour from the current time I was trying to check in), as well as a DEN-EWR-LRH flight on Sunday. I have no idea what happened, but somehow the reservation got messed up. I called UA to get the problem sorted, and he said that my original flight was booked for Saturday, not Sunday, according to their record. I double checked my confirmation email from when I booked the ticket, and it definitely said I was booked for Sunday. After being on hold for quite some time, they were finally able to get me back on the original flights that I had booked myself on. I ended up not SDCing to the later flight (partially because there were no good seats available, and partially because I didn't really want to run the risk of another failure! haha). Any idea what could have happened there?
I've had it happen before. It switches the flight before actually confirming. I don't have an active reservation to play with, but the process goes (to my knowledge) like this:

1) see other flights
2) click to view the flights and or seat maps
3) At this point, if you continue, it will move you to the new flights (no warning or confirm dialogue).
4) a final confirmation and agree to the change and check in - but it's already been changed, just you (in general, not you personally) aren't checked in. This is where you would think you are going to actually confirm the change.

My guess is you got to step 4 thinking you hadn't made a change, but the system already changed. The system is very non-nonchalant about the process. I had that happen before and had to call back in to get it reverted. This has happened twice to me before, but both times the agent had no issue putting me back on my original.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:46 am

Does using SDC change the ticket number? I know the record locator remains the same, but is the reservation technically reticketed by the backend system? Reason I ask is to understand whether SDCing twice (once from AAA-CCC to AAA-BBB-CCC then back to AAA-CCC to maintain original routing) would change the ticket number and therefore allow additional award miles accrual above the 75,000 cap?

I couldn't find anything from the thread search and the agent didn't know.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cshaw
Does using SDC change the ticket number? I know the record locator remains the same, but is the reservation technically reticketed by the backend system? Reason I ask is to understand whether SDCing twice (once from AAA-CCC to AAA-BBB-CCC then back to AAA-CCC to maintain original routing) would change the ticket number and therefore allow additional award miles accrual above the 75,000 cap?

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

UA seems to have the ability to add or remove transfers without reissuing the ticket. I looked back at a recent SDC that removed a segment, and the ticket number didn't change.

If there's space available, it can't hurt to try it, but I don't see any immediate evidence that it would be successful.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
UA seems to have the ability to add or remove transfers without reissuing the ticket. I looked back at a recent SDC that removed a segment, and the ticket number didn't change.

If there's space available, it can't hurt to try it, but I don't see any immediate evidence that it would be successful.
I checked one as well, and mine had a new ticket number.

PNR remains the same though, and I'm quite skeptical this would negate the 75k cap.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by cshaw

I don't get the question honestly. If you're booked to fly AAA to CCC, it doesn't matter if you change it to a non-stop, a one-stop, a transfer, etc. The value of the ticket is still the value of the ticket and you will earn miles based on whatever you paid in the fare of the ticket. Let's say the fare on the ticket cost $7,000 before taxes (which for a 1K would put you over the 75,000 mileage earning limit). You then SDC to AAA-BBB-CCC which still leaves the fare paid at $7,000. It makes zero difference whether the ticket number changed or not because the fare paid is still the same.

Possibly what you are asking is whether this works on a round trip ticket? Your post does not say that and simply says you're flying AAA to CCC. Or possibly what you are asking is if you SDC mid-trip does that change the ticket number? The answer is no.

Note that SDC does not cause a ticket re-issue (hence a new ticket number) in 99.99999% of the time. The ticket is simply re-validated which does not affect the ticket number or mileage earnings.

-RM
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
It makes zero difference whether the ticket number changed or not because the fare paid is still the same.
There have been multiple reports of people circumventing the 75K cap (which, incidentally, is the silliest part of the entire fare-based earning structure) by making changes to their itinerary that require a ticket re-issue, provided the re-issue occurs after the first set of earnings have already posted. It's not a 75K cap per PNR, but rather a 75K cap per ticket.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:18 am

There have been multiple reports of people circumventing the 75K cap (which, incidentally, is the silliest part of the entire fare-based earning structure) by making changes to their itinerary that require a ticket re-issue, provided the re-issue occurs after the first set of earnings have already posted. It's not a 75K cap per PNR, but rather a 75K cap per ticket.

Yep, this is exactly why I asked. Previously, I had accidentally circumvented the cap when I changed the return for a new date / new flights (same AAA-CCC) after the outbound had occurred, but that required paying a change fee and switching dates. However, the change fee / new date scenario more clearly requires a ticket reissue than simply a SDC via the app or similar. I'll see what happens later this week and update then!

Last edited by cshaw; Nov 28, 2018 at 12:26 am
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, National EE
SDC and variable priced YN awards?

Have not seen this answered upthread (apologies if I missed it), but how are YN tickets treated for SDC now that the mileage pricing is variable?

Example: I book a YN domestic one way at 15k, and at the SDC window others are still 32.5k. Would SDC on the app allow the switch without any additional miles since YN>0 inventory, or would it collect a mileage difference? If procedure is unknown, I'll report my experience after.

Last edited by Scuba2P; Nov 29, 2018 at 5:04 pm
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:18 pm

SDC potential? Is it always available?

I am considering booking a flight on a date about a week earlier than I actually can fly because it's roughly $1600 cheaper for my SO and I.

SDC Ninjas: I realize that it's risky, but do you think 7 SDC's in a row is possible? There are multiple routes and times to my destination. How big of a risk am I taking with this?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 001

I am considering booking a flight on a date about a week earlier than I actually can fly because it's roughly $1600 cheaper for my SO and I.

SDC Ninjas: I realize that it's risky, but do you think 7 SDC's in a row is possible? There are multiple routes and times to my destination. How big of a risk am I taking with this?
It's $1600 cheaper due to a difference in airfare, or it's $1600 cheaper due to some unrelated expense?

If it's airfare, I have to imagine it's unlikely that your (inexpensive) fare class is going to open up on a flight that seems much more heavily loaded.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:25 pm

It's $1600 cheaper due to a difference in airfare, or it's $1600 cheaper due to some unrelated expense?

If it's airfare, I have to imagine it's unlikely that your (inexpensive) fare class is going to open up on a flight that seems much more heavily loaded.
Difference in airfare. L fare so that makes sense.

Very tempting because of the cost savings, but even with the T-3 fare class zeroing out explained in the wiki this may be a bit to risky.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by 001

A week for 2 people seems highly unlikely. If you have flex that you could potentially fly 2-4 days later than do it, else big risk
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 001

Very tempting because of the cost savings, but even with the T-3 fare class zeroing out explained in the wiki this may be a bit to risky.
Is your target flight a nonstop? You can basically ignore the fare class leveling at/around T-3 for connecting flights; it doesn't happen.

What's the inventory on the target flight?

How is your SO going to feel if you can't take the flight you want? If you're both in separate middle seats in the back?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 001

I'll admit I have moved a two-person hub-hub domestic K fare four days, but it was an intense annoyance. Can you afford to fly early if you get stuck? If so, with a reward of $1600, I might be tempted to try.

(I assume this is not international—if it is, that will be very difficult.)
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by anandrag

A week for 2 people seems highly unlikely. If you have flex that you could potentially fly 2-4 days later than do it, else big risk
Is it possible to split the SDC at a certain point? i.e. split the reservation and keep SDC'n one of them? I have flexibility, but my SO doesn't. I have status and she does not so even if we can split - i'm guessing she loses ability to SDC?

Is your target flight a nonstop? You can basically ignore the fare class leveling at/around T-3 for connecting flights; it doesn't happen.

What's the inventory on the target flight?

How is your SO going to feel if you can't take the flight you want? If you're both in separate middle seats in the back?

This is what it is right now.
I can book direct or with a connection. This is the direct load.

Middle seats would be unpleasant. May not be worth it strictly for that.

Originally Posted by fumje
I'll admit I have moved a two-person hub-hub domestic K fare four days, but it was an intense annoyance. Can you afford to fly early if you get stuck? If so, with a reward of $1600, I might be tempted to try.

(I assume this is not international—if it is, that will be very difficult.)
It is international. I could fly early, but not my SO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.