Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:31 pm

I couldn't find this scenario in a couple possible threads, but figure it has been brought up. So, sorry for the duplicate.

I'm flying BKK-SIN on SQ today, then going SIN-SFO-ORD on UA. If SQ interlines my bag to UA, my understanding is the checked bag makes SDC difficult if not impossible. But does the travel waiver at ORD change things at all? My plan has been to just pick up my bag after SFO customs and carry it on for SFO-ORD anyway.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by venomtrilogy
I'm flying BKK-SIN on SQ today, then going SIN-SFO-ORD on UA. If SQ interlines my bag to UA, my understanding is the checked bag makes SDC difficult if not impossible. But does the travel waiver at ORD change things at all? My plan has been to just pick up my bag after SFO customs and carry it on for SFO-ORD anyway.
Travel waiver by itself doesn't impact that, but if your SFO-ORD flight were delayed or cancelled, you would likely get IRROPS rebooking options. And if that doesn't happen, with bag in hand you could likely SDC on the ground at SFO. You'd probably have to see an agent to do it though.

Why not just carry on the whole way?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... If SQ interlines my bag to UA, my understanding is the checked bag makes SDC difficult if not impossible. But does the travel waiver at ORD change things at all? My plan has been to just pick up my bag after SFO customs and carry it on for SFO-ORD anyway.
Will require an agent but tell the agent you have your bag and it should be possible -- may take a bit as the software with try to to prevent it.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Travel waiver by itself doesn't impact that, but if your SFO-ORD flight were delayed or cancelled, you would likely get IRROPS rebooking options. And if that doesn't happen, with bag in hand you could likely SDC on the ground at SFO. You'd probably have to see an agent to do it though.

Why not just carry on the whole way?
SQ leg is Y, UA is J/F. There was a comment in SQ forum a while back that an SQ agent upgraded a passenger to J who did this same interlining. I am selfishly hoping for that. But I may just carry on all the way since that seems way easier.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SQ leg is Y, UA is J/F. There was a comment in SQ forum a while back that an SQ agent upgraded a passenger to J who did this same interlining. I am selfishly hoping for that. But I may just carry on all the way since that seems way easier.
It was either a coincidence or a troll. SQ isn’t going to upgrade you because you’re flying J on UA. I’d just carry the bag if you want to keep SDC options.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Doesn’t make any sense that SQ would care that you’re in J on UA
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
It was either a coincidence or a troll. SQ isn’t going to upgrade you because you’re flying J on UA.
+1. Zero chance.

If SQ ever gives a free upgrade to a non-PPS, it's because Y is oversold. Even PPS don't get upgraded. The "free" upgrade is foreign to SQ's DNA.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
I had a 1-way ticket, RNO-DEN-EWR-BUF. Even though my fare class was available, app didn't show me any SDC options. Is there a 'segment limit' on app displaying SDC? Surprisingly, I didn't see SDC options at any of my layovers.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
The past 36 hours provided an excellent lesson of the importance of persistence with SDC. When I checked in with my family yesterday morning for the 9:47 a.m. BOS-IAD flight, I saw about eight E+ seats unassigned on the 2:43 p.m. flight--but the app didn't show that as an option, the site said it would cost $74 extra per ticket plus a $200 change fee, and a phone rep quoted me the $74 fare difference. By yesterday evening, the app still didn't suggest the 2:43 p.m nonstop, while the site was quoting several hundred dollars per ticket to change flights. And at 7:30 this morning? I could move the three of us to the afternoon flight for free.

Our original flight had picked up four people on the standby list, so in theory we could have gone to BOS and hoped to get bumped. But am I going to bet on a scenario where the good outcome involves spending four hours in an airport with an eight-year-old? Nope!
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hokiebuy
I had a 1-way ticket, RNO-DEN-EWR-BUF. Even though my fare class was available, app didn't show me any SDC options. Is there a 'segment limit' on app displaying SDC? ,,,.
Yep, the app can not handle that, you will have to call and feed the desired routing to the agent.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Some new SDC experiences for me last week flying EWR-NRT-SIN and back. Flights to SIN on ANA and PZ on the UA flights.
On way there I could do OLCI but no SDC was offered on app or online since there was non-UA metal in routing.
On way back couldn’t do OLCI since first flight on ANA. Therefore no SDC options either. Nothing changed when landed in NRT but interestingly at some point could do the flight options on app and offered me SDC for the NRT-EWR flight. 2 options but in PZ. Didn’t take as would land much later with stop in either DEN or ORD
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by DCA writer
The past 36 hours provided an excellent lesson of the importance of persistence with SDC. When I checked in with my family yesterday morning for the 9:47 a.m. BOS-IAD flight, I saw about eight E+ seats unassigned on the 2:43 p.m. flight--but the app didn't show that as an option, the site said it would cost $74 extra per ticket plus a $200 change fee, and a phone rep quoted me the $74 fare difference. By yesterday evening, the app still didn't suggest the 2:43 p.m nonstop, while the site was quoting several hundred dollars per ticket to change flights. And at 7:30 this morning? I could move the three of us to the afternoon flight for free.

Our original flight had picked up four people on the standby list, so in theory we could have gone to BOS and hoped to get bumped. But am I going to bet on a scenario where the good outcome involves spending four hours in an airport with an eight-year-old? Nope!
Seat map is no indication of what fare buckets are available on the flight. You need the same fare bucket you're booked into to be available (and within 24 hours) to be able to SDC. So when you tried the first two times and were quoted the $74 fare difference that means your fare bucket was not available and the next available fare bucket cost $74 more to move into. The following morning more fare buckets opened up so you could make the free change. Absolutely normal and how SDC is designed to work. You're free to keep checking SDC options as long as you'd like.

Four people on the standby list is also zero indication of a flight being oversold. Just because there were people on the standby list does not mean UA would be soliciting volunteers for your flight. Just FYI in case you really feel you missed out on a VDB opportunity. 99% chance you didn't.

-RM
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by DCA writer
When I checked in with my family yesterday morning for the 9:47 a.m. BOS-IAD flight, I saw about eight E+ seats unassigned on the 2:43 p.m. flight--but the app didn't show that as an option, the site said it would cost $74 extra per ticket plus a $200 change fee, and a phone rep quoted me the $74 fare difference. By yesterday evening, the app still didn't suggest the 2:43 p.m nonstop, while the site was quoting several hundred dollars per ticket to change
To SDC, both your current flight and the flight you want to take must be within T-24. Even if the appropriate fare bucket had been available on the PM flight, SDC would not be an option until 2:43pm the day before. That’s the reason for the $200 change fee when you first looked.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Seat map is no indication of what fare buckets are available on the flight. You need the same fare bucket you're booked into to be available (and within 24 hours) to be able to SDC. So when you tried the first two times and were quoted the $74 fare difference that means your fare bucket was not available and the next available fare bucket cost $74 more to move into. The following morning more fare buckets opened up so you could make the free change. Absolutely normal and how SDC is designed to work. You're free to keep checking SDC options as long as you'd like.
Yup. But I wanted to spell that out for any SDC skeptics--I was able to make this work not just for myself but for all three of us, and on the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend.

About the seat map, agreed that it doesn't mean those seats are really free. Especially if you're trying to gauge if a GPU will clear! But it's still better than seeing the seat map maxed out.

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Four people on the standby list is also zero indication of a flight being oversold. Just because there were people on the standby list does not mean UA would be soliciting volunteers for your flight. Just FYI in case you really feel you missed out on a VDB opportunity. 99% chance you didn't.
They did list the flight as being full in both cabins, but that was not enough to make me think we'd be able to cash in. I mean, it's been over three years since I even had a VDB offer, and I passed on that because I didn't want to risk being late for my friend's wedding the next morning in Vegas.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Had an interesting SDC failure recently. I was booked DEN-IAH-LHR on Sunday, with almost a 3 hr connection time in IAH. When I went to check in at T-24, I was interested to see if the later flight from DEN-IAH (which would give me only a 1.5 hr connection) was available. Not thinking it through very well, I didn't notice that the flight I was looking at the flight on Saturday (of course, because I wasn't within T-24 of the later flight). But, before confirming the change, I backed out of the flight change. When I went back in a minute later to complete the check-in process, the app said I couldn't check-in online, and needed to proceed to the airport to complete check-in. When I brought up the reservation in the app, it somehow had me listed on the DEN-IAH-LHR flight on Saturday (departing a little over an hour from the current time I was trying to check in), as well as a DEN-EWR-LRH flight on Sunday. I have no idea what happened, but somehow the reservation got messed up. I called UA to get the problem sorted, and he said that my original flight was booked for Saturday, not Sunday, according to their record. I double checked my confirmation email from when I booked the ticket, and it definitely said I was booked for Sunday. After being on hold for quite some time, they were finally able to get me back on the original flights that I had booked myself on. I ended up not SDCing to the later flight (partially because there were no good seats available, and partially because I didn't really want to run the risk of another failure! haha). Any idea what could have happened there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.