Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
That is mostly false. Only those (Gold and lower) who get upgraded into "RN" or GS who get upgraded into "PN" will incorrectly keep the upgraded fare class.
And 1Ks on YBM fares (has been useful for me sometimes)

I'm skeptical even PN -> PN was intended, but at least that perk is applied to the top of the pyramid.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by RobOnLI

And remember, "RN" is not meant to be SDC'able to "RN". It's a bug that United introduced once they started upgrading people to "RN" class. So basically Plats & 1Ks are screwed by this. And specifically how are 1K's and Plats harmed by this? Thanks

-RM
I'm a platinum and confused by what you're saying. Can you make it a little clearer for me I'm just not grasping. Are you saying if I got a CPU into RN I can't change that flight via SDC?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I'm a platinum and confused by what you're saying. Can you make it a little clearer for me I'm just not grasping. Are you saying if I got a CPU into RN I can't change that flight via SDC?
Plats and 1Ks don't clear into RN, they clear into R.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
And specifically how are 1K's and Plats harmed by this? Thanks
Originally Posted by Kacee
Plats and 1Ks don't clear into RN, they clear into R.
Right.

I think there was an error in the quoting with the original question, so I've pulled it out to answer it directly.

The short answer is that any ability to SDC and preserve a CPU will screw over Premiers on that flight unless UA is careful not to open RN space without clearing the upgrade list (hint: they're not). So, a 1K waiting for an upgrade that didn't clear at the window could get sniped by an SDC from a silver who was on some relatively empty flight and did clear.

Compound that with the fact that Plat and 1K don't clear into RN and so can't avail themselves of this privilege, and Gold and Silver do clear into RN and can, and you start to think it's an error, not a policy.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Can I run through a similar situation and get some advice?
  1. If I have a GPU confirmed (cleared into R), and then I make a same day change to a flight which has R availability, will I automatically preserve the upgrade? Presumably I should do this by phone to ensure the intended result
  2. Does this answer change if the SDC is to a combination of flights, one of which has R space?
  3. If I SDC to a flight which has no R space, and the upgrade doesn't clear, will I get it back?
Looking at doing some combination of the above this weekend.
Thanks
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by david_oz

If I have a GPU confirmed (cleared into R), and then I make a same day change to a flight which has R availability, will I automatically preserve the upgrade? Presumably I should do this by phone to ensure the intended result ...
Online no, but an (phone) agent can easily do this
Does this answer change if the SDC is to a combination of flights, one of which has R space?
No
If I SDC to a flight which has no R space, and the upgrade doesn't clear, will I get it back?
If no cleared segments, yes. If a Polaris marketed segment does not clear but non-polaris segments do, you will also get the GPU back.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. If I have a GPU confirmed (cleared into R), and then I make a same day change to a flight which has R availability, will I automatically preserve the upgrade? Presumably I should do this by phone to ensure the intended result
  2. Does this answer change if the SDC is to a combination of flights, one of which has R space?
  3. If I SDC to a flight which has no R space, and the upgrade doesn't clear, will I get it back?
Looking at doing some combination of the above this weekend.
Thanks
1 - Yes, if you call and get a good agent.
2 - You should be able to preserve it on the flight with open R, again with a good agent
3 - Yes, although it might not happen automatically.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:11 am

thanks very much
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If I SDC to a flight which has no R space, and the upgrade doesn't clear, will I get it back?
Note that if you SDC to a flight with no R space, the waitlist request will not be transferred unless you get a very accommodating agent.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:44 pm

So, to close the loop. Called CS, initially was given quite a bit of AIR (*), including "connection can't be more than 12 hours" but fortunately agent then agreed to call and check, presumably with someone who has a clue, returned somewhat surprised, confirming that up to a 24 hour stopover is fine, and SDCed the ticket as intended.

There also was R space on the SFO-WAS, so I was able to use an RPU as well, which is nice - otherwise they were just going to expire.

*) AIR - agent invented rules

Originally Posted by jsloan
Not quite. The rule is that transfers on domestic fare components are limited to 4 hours. Transfers on international fare components may be up to 24 hours. So, assuming that the NRT-WAS fare prices as a through fare -- almost always true, especially in the context of an SDC, presumably from the nonstop -- the 24-hour rule applies to embedded domestic transfers as well.

You can see this on matrix.itasoftware.com by specifying a high value for minconnect. For example, with minconnect 1080 (18 hours), I was able to generate an NRT-LAX-IAH-AUS itinerary with overnight stays at both LAX and IAH for the same fare as a "normal" transfer. (You do end up with extra TSA charges, but that's it).

I agree that agents may not see things this way when you try to SDC, but if you were pricing the fare from scratch, these are the rules that would apply.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Note that if you SDC to a flight with no R space, the waitlist request will not be transferred unless you get a very accommodating agent.
thanks for pointing this out. I think all the flights I am looking at have R space but I will definitely check this
Old Aug 30, 2018, 6:23 pm

I have a roundtrip flight where I need to cancel the 1st leg. I spoke with a phone rep who suggested that I wait and use the SDC fee of $75 (instead of the normal $200 rebooking fee) to cancel that leg without dropping the return leg. Is this a thing? Can I actually do this?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alsaire
I have a roundtrip flight where I need to cancel the 1st leg. I spoke with a phone rep who suggested that I wait and use the SDC fee of $75 (instead of the normal $200 rebooking fee) to cancel that leg without dropping the return leg. Is this a thing? Can I actually do this?
No... I'm trying to understand what the agent thought they were describing and I still just don't..
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by alsaire
no. SDC won’t allow you to cancel a leg. Not sure why it would.

Also, just so you are prepared, $200 change fee is just the start. If you are dropping a segment, itinerary will also have to be re-priced for your new route. So flying A-B-C-B-A as a round trip, where B is a connecting city and priced as a round trip A-C, the itinerary will need to be re-priced as B-C-A. While common sense might make one think that would be cheaper, in most cases with air travel, that will make it more expensive, potentially significantly more so.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe

no. SDC won’t allow you to cancel a leg. Not sure why it would.

Also, just so you are prepared, $200 change fee is just the start. If you are dropping a segment, itinerary will also have to be re-priced for your new route. So flying A-B-C-B-A as a round trip, where B is a connecting city and priced as a round trip A-C, the itinerary will need to be re-priced as B-C-A. While common sense might make one think that would be cheaper, in most cases with air travel, that will make it more expensive, potentially significantly more so.
Well, the agent gave me the initial option of paying the $200 change fee and then getting the 1st leg back as a credit. I'm not sure why she'd be so wrong about this? It sounded like many people do the initial option. I was just surprised that she offered me the latter option with the SDC fee.

Last edited by alsaire; Aug 30, 2018 at 8:19 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.