Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:35 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by wvanderbilt
I was offered DEN-HNL-SFO on a DEN-SFO ticket last month, with a long layover.
I've seen this during IRROPS - western US to western US via HNL.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 12:56 pm
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Originally Posted by wvanderbilt
I was offered DEN-HNL-SFO on a DEN-SFO ticket last month, with a long layover.
Was back in 2012, booked on a EWR-LHR was offered and took JFK-SFO-(Overnight)-LAX-LHR, mainly because I could UG with a GPU/(SWU?), and also it gave me the chance to visit friends for dinner in SF.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:23 pm

Thx for feedback

Last edited by coplatsat; Jun 22, 2018 at 2:31 pm
Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please do not discuss and seek input on doing things like that. Engaging in and openly publicising such behaviour only risks getting legitimate uses of SDC curtailed.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Is it possible that UA allows these changes from direct to weird indirect routings under circumstances where they think they can actually charge a major premium over the existing fare to someone else last-minute on the direct routing?

And BTW, the idea that this is some kind of secret, and UA doesn't know that people are changing from SAT-IAH to SAT-IAD-IAH if we don't talak about it, is absurd. Of course they know this goes on, and for whatever reason haven't seen fit to curtail it.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I doubt the routing changes offered are offered with hope for a positive revenue differential.

And of course it's impossible that no one at UA knows things like SAT-IAH to SAT-IAD-IAH that have been done, but if people start crowing that they are doing things that appear abusive, I can't imagine that the risk of added SDC limitations doesn't go up.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA Gld, UA 1K
I've been offered EWR to SFO to BOS on more than one occasion as a SDC from EWR to BOS. Maybe at the end of the year if I am short PQM....
Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fumje
Please do not discuss and seek input on doing things like that. Engaging in and openly publicising such behaviour only risks getting legitimate uses of SDC curtailed.
Didn’t you just let the cat out of the bag? @:-)
Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite

Didn’t you just let the cat out of the bag? @:-)
How do you figure?
Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I've had some interesting options given, but I just want to get home. I cannot imagine the amount of people interested in longer flights via SDC is more than a few per day. United doesn't need to fix anything, because most want quicker options, not longer. The few FT nuts (me included on occasion) is in the minority.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I've had some interesting options given, but I just want to get home. I cannot imagine the amount of people interested in longer flights via SDC is more than a few per day. United doesn't need to fix anything, because most want quicker options, not longer. The few FT nuts (me included on occasion) is in the minority.
And that, specifically, will be the justification that they'll use when they curtail the feature due to abuse by a select few.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by findark
In that case, the app will offer SDC onto flights where PN is available. I would not involve an agent - this is about the best you can do. It is not uncommon for one of the last two seats to be available in PN on the day of departure.
so i did the SDC on my app and chose the earlier flights, SFO-LAS-EWR. It only offered me the first class availability for SDC which I wasn't expecting! It wasn't lay flat seats but at least i flew in first for both legs.. surprisingly, i just got credited for double the PQM and 1.5 PQS even though it was upgraded with GS's RPU! SCORE!
Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
SDC with rules

Noting that N. America to SIN on K fare basis stipulates no quick turnarounds, with minimum stay of 12 hours. Could SDC from the SFO- bound flight to LAX-bound flight leaving SIN shortly after arrival from LAX, hence less than 12 hours stay, be possible? If so, and same K fare basis is available, how best to do this? UA transfer desk in SIN, 1K desk by phone or by app?
Thanks
Old Jun 22, 2018, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cagcag
Noting that N. America to SIN on K fare basis stipulates no quick turnarounds, with minimum stay of 12 hours. Could SDC from the SFO- bound flight to LAX-bound flight leaving SIN shortly after arrival from LAX, hence less than 12 hours stay, be possible? If so, and same K fare basis is available, how best to do this? UA transfer desk in SIN, 1K desk by phone or by app?
Thanks
Yes; if there is K space available, you could SDC to the LAX flight. I’d do it on the app, personally, but you’ll likely need to stop by the UA transfer desk anyway to pick up boarding passes.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I think this is right. Even though I'm trying to get to 1MM, when I'm actually on a trip, my number one priority is either 1. get to my destination ASAP, or 2. get home ASAP. I doubt more than a handful of people a day do SDC for extra PQMs.

Originally Posted by jsloan
And that, specifically, will be the justification that they'll use when they curtail the feature due to abuse by a select few.
I think UA would be justified to limited SDC routing options to any valid routing in any published fare basis (including full-Y) between the city pairs in question. I much rather see illogical SDC routing options go away, than SDC itself be limited or curtailed somehow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.