Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions -Free STBY for all, SDC for all elites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: leftysauce
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Present Eligiblity policy 2023

Same day changes

Premier members may be able to get another flight for free. If your original cabin isn’t available, you may have to pay a price difference.

All other travelers may be able to get another flight within 24 hours of the original flight. You may have to pay a price difference even if the same cabin is available.
Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • Not available for Basic Economy (N class) tickets
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • Must be issued on UA ticket stock (ticket number begins with 016)
  • Award tickets are eligible, but an award change may be a better option (not restricted to 24 hours)
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in a single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can, therefore, be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for non-Premiers Only premier members as of 1 Jan 2021
  • No fee for Premier (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full. The practice of fare leveling all fares for all flights at a specific time appears to no longer be in effect.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)

Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24 is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying, "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours after the original flight, if the original flight has been delayed: Y (at least in the app)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A*
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potentially dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a PointsPlus-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available PZ space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available PZ space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: A - 60 minutes prior to both flights required
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: A - 60 minutes prior to both flights required
  • Change a bulk fare: A*
  • Stand-By to later flight, then SDC after original flight departs to flight within 24-hours of new Stand-By flight: Y

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE

The practice of fare leveling all fares for all flights at a specific time appears no longer in effective -- it does happen in some case but appears to be more variable

Standby
For all fare classes other than Basic Economy (N class) you may standby if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. There is no longer a fee for Standby. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested up to 24 hours of original departure on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport or UA app. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
Yes No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

Standby Nuances and Loose Rules

All nuances assume request is made within 24 hours of scheduled departure to a flight within 24 hours of the request.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
K = Perhaps not officially permitted, but kiosk will allow.
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • To a flight the previous calendar day: A*/N*/K (app allows this)
  • To a flight after your ticketed flight, on the same calendar day: Y
  • To a flight the following calendar day: N*
  • Request Standby at an airport other than departure airport: Can now request Standby via app 24 hours in advance
  • Make request calendar day before scheduled flight to flight same day as scheduled departure: K

Mileage Credit after SDC
SDC is considered a voluntary change, so your credited PQM & PQS will be credited based on the route you actually fly. Your PQDs should not change and therefore for your RDMs will not change. Occasionally if you fly a fewer number of segments, your PQD will credit wrong, but a call to MPSC should correct that.

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions -Free STBY for all, SDC for all elites

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2023, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
I no longer see option to book an earlier or later flight in app (same day flight change), 1k, travel in F, first flight of the New Year!
Old Jan 30, 2023, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFOBayFlyer
I looked through the FAQ, but didn't see an exact answer, so here goes:

I am booked on a paid nonstop from SFO to RDM tomorrow on the morning flight (there's a morning and evening flight each day). Would like to SDC (or standby) for the same flight exactly one day later (same time, flight number, etc, just 1 day later). Is the correct strategy to wait until it's <24 hours to tomorrow night's flight, SDC for that and then wait until it is <24 hours to the following morning's flight (Wednesday morning flight -- the one I want) and SDC a second time for that? Thanks!
Yes, that's the only approach that will work for SDC, although note that there's no guarantee you'll find space on both of your target flights.

Originally Posted by navatwal
I no longer see option to book an earlier or later flight in app (same day flight change), 1k, travel in F, first flight of the New Year!
Is there an alternative flight with inventory in your fare class? Connecting? Any non-UA segments?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
Are these still the current/officially allowed? I think the language may have been modified in https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...t-changes.html or am I misremembering:

-Can I change my routing on the same day of travel?
Yes, you can do so when a change can be confirmed, but only if the fare allows for the new routing and there are no changes to the origin or destination airports.
T&C:
-Changes are only available for the same origin and destination airport. Your connection points can be changed if the fare you’ve bought allows for the new routing.
I was flying DEN-DFW-ORD and DFW-ORD cleared PZ. At DFW, the app and kiosk offered no SDC option for PZ or my ticketed fare class as usual when segment is upgraded. Did a flight search in the app and saw DFW-EWR-ORD was selling for V-W class with my ticketed fare class at 8. Went to the gate and GA said confirmed changes were not allowed (even though I showed her the website above) but she would try putting me on standby. I instantly cleared standby into my original ticketed fare class and she was puzzled. She called over a supervisor and the supervisor said "direct" flight cannot be changed to flights with connections. She deleted the cleared-standby segments and told me to call reservations.

I called reservations and the onshore agent said she couldn't see DFW-EWR-ORD option in her system even though flight search in the app was displaying the option. She also said that changing from non-stop to connections will require fare difference.

My question is :
If my fare only allows DEN-HOU-CHI, does that mean if I'm at IAH and see IAH-IAD-ORD, I'm not allowed to change to that? or was the agents simply unfamiliar with the SDC policy?
per
  • All remaining unflown segments in a single fared itinerary are considered together.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
The weird thing is that the routing rule was DEN-HOU-CHI but I was still able to change to DEN-DFW-ORD.

On a side note, Kirby was sitting a few rows ahead of me on DFW-ORD and I got to talk to him for a sec lol
Old Jan 30, 2023, 9:08 pm

Noted the same last week. Has the system changed?
Old Jan 30, 2023, 10:23 pm

Thanks for the feedback! No alternative ways to get there from SFO. Just SDC'd for the later flight on the same day (step 1) and it rebooked me into Y! Now, I need to wait until tomorrow morning and I should be good for the following day SDC. Assuming it keeps my Y fare, I would assume it would be easy to confirm if a single seat is available for sale on the following day's flight.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by leftysauce
Are these still the current/officially allowed? I think the language may have been modified in https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...t-changes.html or am I misremembering:
What you've quoted has always been the rule. It's just that the app used to ignore routing rules willy-nilly, and it seems that it no longer does.

Originally Posted by leftysauce
My question is :
If my fare only allows DEN-HOU-CHI, does that mean if I'm at IAH and see IAH-IAD-ORD, I'm not allowed to change to that?
That is always how the system was supposed to work, yes. Certain fare rules (advance purchase, minimum / maximum stay, day of week / time of day / seasonal restrictions) were ignored by policy, but the fare was always supposed to be valid for the new routing. It's never been the case that you were supposed to be able to turn IAH-ORD into IAH-HNL-NRT-EWR-AUS-DEN-ORD just because UA flies all of those sectors.
SPN Lifer and findark like this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 7:36 am

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by asovse1
I asked this question upthread about a month ago and got no responses: "Who's higher on the standby list, non-UA *G or Premier Silver, since I am both?"

I attempted to answer the question myself by swapping both numbers at check-in (of course, that's really hard to do on this airline for some reason, as noted on plenty of other threads...lol)

So I didn't. I simply stayed with my non-UA *G number.

On Saturday I flew LAX-SFO, I assume this route is elite heavy because of the 70+ on the upgrade list for CPU. There were 25 on standby. My name was #1 for the full 24h I had checked in, and I checked that list often. I assumed the other 24 people had no status and were doing the free standby.

I was bored and waited at the gate for my new boarding pass and chatted with someone who ended up telling me his name, and I asked if he was the guy #2 on the waitlist. He had 1K bag tags and said that he had "status" which I assume was current.

So there you go, I don't know how, but I was ahead of UA's home Premier members on the waitlist. It was an O/D flight and booked on 014 stock and they even let me choose an Y+ seat which I didn't think was still offered to *G flyers.

Is this surprising (that as a foreigner I was atop the list)? I found it so! Only three people cleared I believe.
Originally Posted by hoangtri1
I think it has more to do with the fact that it was 014 stock ticket and not 016. If you didn't fly, UA would get $0 revenue. On a 016 ticket, they could just rebook you. It's more difficult to do that when ticketed outside UA.
​​
Also my experience with the upgrade list. Recently, I was the one passenger upgraded on an MCO-DEN leg. It was an 014 stock, G-bucket fare, so not a chance other than for the 014 ticket. The ticket was purchased only ~30 hours in advance, was way cheaper than the UA options and also gave much higher PQM's than the $$$ paid would have implied. The same impact on the upgrade list was not evident on the DEN-YVR leg. A good experience except for the futility of trying to standby on an earlier DEN-YVR flight operated by AC.

Last edited by NY-FLA; Jan 31, 2023 at 7:44 am
Old Jan 31, 2023, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NY-FLA
Also my experience with the upgrade list. Recently, I was the one passenger upgraded on an MCO-DEN leg. It was an 014 stock, G-bucket fare, so not a chance other than for the 014 ticket.
There is zero reason to believe that a 014 ticket has any better upgrade possibilities than a 016 ticket.

Rather, I suspect you were not the only passenger upgraded; you were just the last passenger upgraded. Unless you saw a ton of 1Ks walk past you on the way to the back, I'm not buying this. The only other thing I can think of is that AC messed up the fare (see below) and put you into Y.

was way cheaper than the UA options and also gave much higher PQM's than the $$$ paid would have implied
Flights operated by UA earn PQPs based upon the fare paid to UA. If you got a large bonus, it might be that AC somehow messed up its fare table in a way where they paid UA for a more expensive ticket.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Originally Posted by ShagU
Checked in for flight tomorrow, no options for same day flight change! Definitely something has changed.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Checked in for flight tomorrow, no options for same day flight change! Definitely something has changed.
Need cities and fare class to help figure out if SDC isn't available because of fare inventory or because there might be an issue. But I'll bet right now it's simply your fare class not being available for flights within 24 hours of check-in.

-RM
Old Jan 31, 2023, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ShagU
Fully missing, or when used no options offered?
Old Jan 31, 2023, 9:07 pm

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by jsloan
There is zero reason to believe that a 014 ticket has any better upgrade possibilities than a 016 ticket.

Rather, I suspect you were not the only passenger upgraded; you were just the last passenger upgraded. Unless you saw a ton of 1Ks walk past you on the way to the back, I'm not buying this. The only other thing I can think of is that AC messed up the fare (see below) and put you into Y.

Flights operated by UA earn PQPs based upon the fare paid to UA. If you got a large bonus, it might be that AC somehow messed up its fare table in a way where they paid UA for a more expensive ticket.
Believe whatever you want, but there were at least 2 that boarded as Global Services. I recall one "GS" whose boarding pass gave the exit row beep, and the owner headed back into coach. I initially concluded that maybe the GA wasn't monitoring pre-boarding closely until a woman behind me came barging out of the zone 1 line claiming to be 1K and got turned back as a non-1K by the same GA. All in all just a regular day at MCO. I paid little attention to where the others behind me claiming 1K pre-board ended up, because to be honest, I don't care that much. I do know that only one pax, me, showed as cleared on the upgrade list, but I also know I often don't show up on that list after an upgrade has processed a few days earlier.
As for the PQP's earned, you may recall there were many posts on this board when PQP's were first introduced about the possibility of "gaming" the system by flying UA metal on partner airlines to get a higher PQP yield. An error with this ticket seems likely, as I've done the itinerary on 014 stock several times this month, with upgrades and PQP results all over the map. Plus there was the instance where irrops occurred and I ended up with a "J" bucket ticket. So
Old Feb 1, 2023, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Believe whatever you want, but there were at least 2 that boarded as Global Services. I recall one "GS" whose boarding pass gave the exit row beep, and the owner headed back into coach.
The GS could be on a BE ticket (but wouldn't likely get an exit row) or traveling with multiple companions and not willing to use instruments. Otherwise, there's no realistic scenario that holds water.

I do know that only one pax, me, showed as cleared on the upgrade list, but I also know I often don't show up on that list after an upgrade has processed a few days earlier.
Exactly. Upgrades ahead of the gate haven't appeared on the list in years.

As for the PQP's earned, you may recall there were many posts on this board when PQP's were first introduced about the possibility of "gaming" the system by flying UA metal on partner airlines to get a higher PQP yield. An error with this ticket seems likely, as I've done the itinerary on 014 stock several times this month, with upgrades and PQP results all over the map. Plus there was the instance where irrops occurred and I ended up with a "J" bucket ticket. So
AC almost certainly screwed something up and put you into Y. That would put you first on the list ahead of other 1Ks, and waiting for PN, but wouldn't put you ahead of a GS. The only way you'd be ahead of a GS is if they listed you as a paid J customer, which seems borderline impossible since you'd have been on a Y ticket and SHARES should have tried to validate when AC pushed the record across. As for the PQP -- the calculation should have been based upon the fare stored in the ticket. So, if AC pushed across a Y fare in order to match your Y seat, then that might have gotten stored, but I assume AC is going to have to make that good with UA when they reconcile. Maybe if enough people are in the same boat, AC will decide to prioritize fixing its systems….

Considering the regularity with which people post complaints about AC screwing up AC-operated segments, I guess I'm not surprised that they're screwing up UA-operated segments too. I'm not sure it's some panacea, but for people who have the option to book 014, it's a shot at a jackpot. (The price, of course, is having to deal with AC customer service if anything goes wrong with the ticket. ) In general, there's no point to trying to "game" the system by putting UA segments on non-UA tickets, because they routinely get it correct. There are posts about once a month from someone who says "I used the calculator for my ticket and I didn't get the right number of miles," and, when people investigate, it's often UA on non-016 giving a fare-based, rather than distance-based, result.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SDC with checked bag -- allowed?

I am getting some limited SDC options with checked bags. It lets me move to earlier flights, not later. However, maybe related, maybe not: I already had seemed to be cut off from pushing to later flights before I checked a bag (already did several SDC). So basically I am getting all the same SDC options before and after checking bag.

Is this normal now? I do not actually want to move to an earlier flight, but if I did would I have to wait for my bag when I arrive?
Old Feb 1, 2023, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fumje
I am getting some limited SDC options with checked bags. It lets me move to earlier flights, not later. However, maybe related, maybe not: I already had seemed to be cut off from pushing to later flights before I checked a bag (already did several SDC). So basically I am getting all the same SDC options before and after checking bag.

Is this normal now? I do not actually want to move to an earlier flight, but if I did would I have to wait for my bag when I arrive?
SDC with checked luggage has always been allowed, provided you have at least one hour before the flights to move your bag. SOP for domestic travel would be to deliver your bag on the next flight anyway, whether you're ticketed on it or not. Whether or not UA would agree to deliver it after an SDC? I've had them do so in the past, after SDCing DEN-IAH-AUS to DEN-AUS after rechecking my bag upon arriving from NRT. My bag went to IAH anyway (I wasn't thinking -- I should have made the change at the recheck counter), and UA delivered it to me the next day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.