Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions -Free STBY for all, SDC for all elites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: leftysauce
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Present Eligiblity policy 2023

Same day changes

Premier members may be able to get another flight for free. If your original cabin isn’t available, you may have to pay a price difference.

All other travelers may be able to get another flight within 24 hours of the original flight. You may have to pay a price difference even if the same cabin is available.
Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • Not available for Basic Economy (N class) tickets
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • Must be issued on UA ticket stock (ticket number begins with 016)
  • Award tickets are eligible, but an award change may be a better option (not restricted to 24 hours)
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in a single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can, therefore, be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for non-Premiers Only premier members as of 1 Jan 2021
  • No fee for Premier (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full. The practice of fare leveling all fares for all flights at a specific time appears to no longer be in effect.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)

Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24 is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying, "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours after the original flight, if the original flight has been delayed: Y (at least in the app)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A*
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potentially dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a PointsPlus-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available PZ space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available PZ space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: A - 60 minutes prior to both flights required
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: A - 60 minutes prior to both flights required
  • Change a bulk fare: A*
  • Stand-By to later flight, then SDC after original flight departs to flight within 24-hours of new Stand-By flight: Y

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE

The practice of fare leveling all fares for all flights at a specific time appears no longer in effective -- it does happen in some case but appears to be more variable

Standby
For all fare classes other than Basic Economy (N class) you may standby if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. There is no longer a fee for Standby. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested up to 24 hours of original departure on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport or UA app. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
Yes No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

Standby Nuances and Loose Rules

All nuances assume request is made within 24 hours of scheduled departure to a flight within 24 hours of the request.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
K = Perhaps not officially permitted, but kiosk will allow.
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • To a flight the previous calendar day: A*/N*/K (app allows this)
  • To a flight after your ticketed flight, on the same calendar day: Y
  • To a flight the following calendar day: N*
  • Request Standby at an airport other than departure airport: Can now request Standby via app 24 hours in advance
  • Make request calendar day before scheduled flight to flight same day as scheduled departure: K

Mileage Credit after SDC
SDC is considered a voluntary change, so your credited PQM & PQS will be credited based on the route you actually fly. Your PQDs should not change and therefore for your RDMs will not change. Occasionally if you fly a fewer number of segments, your PQD will credit wrong, but a call to MPSC should correct that.

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions -Free STBY for all, SDC for all elites

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2023, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by leftysauce
so it'll be an additional 20 on top of the 40 that had already cleared?
Unfortunately.

David
Old Apr 18, 2023, 7:13 pm

Worried about EWR connection SDSB Question

I'm travelling in Polaris from Chicago to Cape Town, I booked the tickets a long time ago it was a P fare. Im united gold.

I am just now realizing our connection of 2 hours in EWR is not the best. If there is any hiccups or delays in EWR ( Which is likely) we are toast. There's no other flight out that day that would let us make this connection. I have called UA to request an earlier departing flight from Chicago but they want $7000 per person to take a earlier connection out of ORD which is insane. The problem is there are no P class fares for that first segment for flights the entire day unless we leave at 6AM which is also not feasible.

Is there any way around getting them to put us on an earlier connection? Quite confused as the fares for the earlier connection are infact showing lower than our original, additionally there are much more seats open. I was thinking to try the SDSB confirmed with united but I read that I can only do that in my same travel class? My concern is that since its HUB-HUB there's going to be alot of upgrades and all those seats are gone.

Are we not able to even take a coach ticket on an earlier flight and keep the Polaris on the international? Just dont want to stress about this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA1K
Show up to the airport early and ask to be put on standby at the gate or in the Polaris lounge

Or are there any options when you try to change online? They should let you choose something in Economy and give you a small refund
Old Apr 18, 2023, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Or 2 hours being plenty plus the built-in pad scheduled time.

I wouldn't stress about this at all. If you really need to get to EWR earlier, there are tons of other flights you can move yourself into after check-in. You may have to be in coach cabin based on availability.
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by airchina981
Is there any way around getting them to put us on an earlier connection? Quite confused as the fares for the earlier connection are infact showing lower than our original
What exactly does this mean? You can book brand new tickets for your travel dates with the earlier ORD-EWR flight and they price less than what you paid previously? If that's the case you can cancel your existing tickets for free and apply that value to the new tickets. The rest will be in the form of a Future Flight Credit. However, I doubt this is what you meant so please clarify and we can help further.

Otherwise, the advice to show up at the airport and standby for an earlier flight is the best bet. When you do standby on United you are generally only standing by for coach. A lounge or gate agent should be able to list you for first but it's more complicated. However, the chances of getting out in coach on ORD-EWR are far better if you're willing to accept the downgrade. And do note you will not be owed any compensation if you choose to go standby in coach on an earlier flight to EWR.

-RM
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I am just now realizing our connection of 2 hours in EWR is not the best. If there is any hiccups or delays in EWR ( Which is likely) we are toast.
If there are delays in EWR, your EWR-CPT flight might be affected also.

There's no other flight out that day that would let us make this connection. I have called UA to request an earlier departing flight from Chicago but they want $7000 per person to take an earlier connection out of ORD which is insane.
I mean, it doesn't sound like a great value, but it's not insane. It's just a fare difference.

The problem is there are no P class fares for that first segment for flights the entire day unless we leave at 6AM which is also not feasible.
Well, that's part of it. By changing fare classes on ORD-EWR, you either have to change fare classes all the way to CPT or break the fare at EWR; both of those are likely to be extremely expensive. However, you're also talking about changing your outbound flight, which typically triggers repricing the ticket at the current fare (all the way to CPT and back).

Is there any way around getting them to put us on an earlier connection? Quite confused as the fares for the earlier connection are infact showing lower than our original, additionally there are much more seats open.
Without getting into the weeds on the details -- none of this is relevant for pricing a change on a larger itinerary. That's just not the way airfare works.

I was thinking to try the SDSB confirmed with united but I read that I can only do that in my same travel class? My concern is that since it's HUB-HUB there's going to be alot of upgrades and all those seats are gone.
Actually, there might not be any upgrades at all, and all of the F seats will be gone. But you can absolutely stand by for economy (in fact, it's hard to stand by for anything else, as mentioned). In the relatively unlikely case that there are F seats available on the day of departure, if EWR is having a bad day, you may be able to convince a customer service rep to move you directly into them (at no charge).

Are we not able to even take a coach ticket on an earlier flight and keep the Polaris on the international?
If you buy a separate ticket and use it to get to EWR, your EWR-CPT ticket would be canceled.

Originally Posted by unitedwildcat
Or are there any options when you try to change online? They should let you choose something in Economy and give you a small refund
No, they shouldn't. In fact, the fare is likely to be much more expensive with ORD-EWR in Y instead of J.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
What exactly does this mean? You can book brand new tickets for your travel dates with the earlier ORD-EWR flight and they price less than what you paid previously? If that's the case you can cancel your existing tickets for free and apply that value to the new tickets. The rest will be in the form of a Future Flight Credit. However, I doubt this is what you meant so please clarify and we can help further.

Otherwise, the advice to show up at the airport and standby for an earlier flight is the best bet. When you do standby on United you are generally only standing by for coach. A lounge or gate agent should be able to list you for first but it's more complicated. However, the chances of getting out in coach on ORD-EWR are far better if you're willing to accept the downgrade. And do note you will not be owed any compensation if you choose to go standby in coach on an earlier flight to EWR.

-RM
I meant the domestic fare is showing $1300 per person in the class yet the earlier flights its $600-700. The polaris leg is considerably more so I guess thats what is causing it.

This is what I see on the united website, my apologies as I have never switched to different flights

"Premier members have extra flexibility for flight changes made within 24 hours of departure. Premier members may be able to confirm a seat on another flight within 24 hours of your originally scheduled departure time for no cost at all.* If a Premier member’s original ticketed fare class isn’t available on the new flight, a fare difference may apply. If your original ticketed fare class isn’t available, you can always standby for free"

Basically it is saying I can only get on an earlier flight that day CONFIRMED if there are other first class fares avail? When it comes to 24 hours prior will it allow me at all to use a coach ticket instead?
Old Apr 18, 2023, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Wait until the day of and SDC to something earlier.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Basically it is saying I can only get on an earlier flight that day CONFIRMED if there are other first class fares avail? When it comes to 24 hours prior will it allow me at all to use a coach ticket instead?
Actually, it's a little worse than that. It's saying that you need seats available in P class in order to change -- and, depending upon the mood the app is in, you may need P space on EWR-CPT also, even though you're already on that flight.

If you attempt to change to a confirmed seat on an economy flight, it's likely to charge a substantial fare difference. (If the fare seems to be lower, be careful -- it may be changing your return flight to economy).

To reiterate: if problems are already apparent on the day of travel, an agent may be willing to confirm you onto an earlier flight regardless of availability.

Also, if there has been a schedule change that's reduced your layover any, you may be able to get an agent to move you to an earlier flight, again regardless of P inventory.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Actually, it's a little worse than that. It's saying that you need seats available in P class in order to change -- and, depending upon the mood the app is in, you may need P space on EWR-CPT also, even though you're already on that flight.

If you attempt to change to a confirmed seat on an economy flight, it's likely to charge a substantial fare difference. (If the fare seems to be lower, be careful -- it may be changing your return flight to economy).

To reiterate: if problems are already apparent on the day of travel, an agent may be willing to confirm you onto an earlier flight regardless of availability.

Also, if there has been a schedule change that's reduced your layover any, you may be able to get an agent to move you to an earlier flight, again regardless of P inventory.
you are positive I need P fares open for the 24 hours SDC and not just any seat open in first
Old Apr 18, 2023, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you are positive I need P fares open for the 24 hours SDC and not just any seat open in first
Yep. There is a huge bank of knowledge on SDC here:
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Yep. There is a huge bank of knowledge on SDC here:
Thanks I will take a look!

One more question I appreciate all your feedback. What are the chances in the next 48 hours a P fare becomes available on one of the earlier flights? Is that even possible. There were multiple yesterday but today they all changed J, Z, D etc.

or is it generally they will not lower the fare classes from this point? The flight departs in 5 days
Old Apr 18, 2023, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

One more question I appreciate all your feedback. What are the chances in the next 48 hours a P fare becomes available on one of the earlier flights? Is that even possible. There were multiple yesterday but today they all changed J, Z, D etc.
Inventory is dynamic,. A couple of cancellations, or just fewer people booking last-minute tickets than expected, and P inventory can reopen.

Note that P inventory and P fares are not the same thing. You should activate Expert Mode to see the actual inventory. Domestic first class fares depend upon a combination of first class and economy inventory, so just looking at the fare for sale can be misleading.

Assuming you’re talking about April 23, I see P inventory on the 8:45 AM departure, but the rest of the day is looking tight.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Inventory is dynamic,. A couple of cancellations, or just fewer people booking last-minute tickets than expected, and P inventory can reopen.

Note that P inventory and P fares are not the same thing. You should activate Expert Mode to see the actual inventory. Domestic first class fares depend upon a combination of first class and economy inventory, so just looking at the fare for sale can be misleading.

Assuming you’re talking about April 23, I see P inventory on the 8:45 AM departure, but the rest of the day is looking tight.
that’s great! I got that to work. Let’s hope some open up tomorrow lol🙏🏼 really appreciate your help ser
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
that’s great! I got that to work. Let’s hope some open up tomorrow lol🙏🏼 really appreciate your help ser
EWR-CPT is currently J0 on 4-23-23 which I believe is your departure date. That means that you need the 'computer' to only want to SDC the first leg and leave the second in tact. That can sometimes happen but not all the time. You're better off calling United and asking for them to SDC you within the 24 hour period of your original flight check-in time. And ask them to leave the EWR-CPT segment alone. This should work. But the airport has a far better chance of making this happen. The chances of P being open (especially 2) for ORD-EWR within 24 hours is basically 0.

-RM
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.