How to max out PQM + MPM for BOS-BNE

Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

How to max out PQM + MPM for BOS-BNE

Trying to plan and max out PQM (+ lifetime miles) + MPM on upcoming biz class flight from BOS-BNE, so far in my search, I've found a few routings via SFO, LAX to SYD or MEL and then Qantas domestic in Australia to BNE. I've also found PEK, TPE on Matrix but United website doesn't want to list it. AKL via NZ on United is listing at full fare, so out of range for me.

Any recommendations for routings and pointers on where to look greatly appreciated!
Thank you.

p.s. will be great if there're routings with 777-300ER segments in real polaris vs the other 2-2-2 or 2-4-2 lie-flats
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Is this OPM and you don't care about $$$? Just looking for most miles on UA metal to BNE? What are your limits? You can try the flights via PVG/PEK and see if google flights prices them with a link back to United.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I think BOS-LAX-MEL (10,533 miles each way) on UA and then QF/VA to BNE would be the ideal route for accumulating lifetime miles. BOS-SFO-SYD (10,122 miles o/w), then QF/VA to BNE would be the most comfortable given you'll have a fully-flat seat all the way to Australia.

I suppose you can also fly UA metal to SIN which would maximize lifetime mileage earnings and then make your way to BNE on EK/QF/SQ but that doesn't seem practical in my mind.

All scenarios above would involve the 787-9 on the TPAC segment.

Last edited by 764toHI; Jan 3, 2018 at 5:50 pm
Old Jan 3, 2018, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If you are plating with a UA fare, then here are your routing rules for full C. Other fares would be similar:

Code:
/VIA THE PACIFIC/
MAP CONSTRUCTED LEFT TO RIGHT AND RIGHT TO LEFT
1. BOS-WAS/NYC/HOU/EWR/DEN/CHI-WAS/NYC/HOU/EWR/DEN/CHI-SFO/
LAX/LAS/HOU-SFO/LAX-UA-SYD-UA/QF-MEL-UA/QF/JQ-BNE
2. BOS-WAS/NYC/HOU/EWR/DEN/CHI-WAS/NYC/HOU/EWR/DEN/CHI-SFO/
LAX/LAS/HOU-SFO/LAX-UA-SYD-UA/QF/JQ-BNE
3. BOS-WAS/NYC/HOU/EWR/DEN/CHI-WAS/NYC/HOU/EWR/DEN/CHI-SFO/
LAX/LAS/HOU-SFO/LAX-UA-AKL-UA/NZ-BNE
4. BOS-WAS/NYC/HOU/EWR/DEN/CHI-WAS/NYC/HOU/EWR/DEN/CHI-SFO/
LAX/LAS/HOU-SFO/LAX-UA-AKL-QF-BNE
Generally speaking, ua.com won't offer non-UA fares. You can call and get them plated, but I don't see any likely candidates as airlines who allow more interesting routings tend not to allow off-plating (e.q. SQ).
Old Jan 3, 2018, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

@cfischer yes it's OPM (biz trip, had to look the term up, wasn't familiar.) most miles on UA metal. Limits? Did you mean on spend? Good idea on Google flights, although most show regular routing via SFO/LAX

@764toHI yes saw BOS-LAX-MEL as a good option, for max PQM/lifetime miles distance, annoying part 787 (i guess direct aisle access on polaris is a spoiler) and also the domestic first non lie-flat (esp if early flight).

@findark thanks for posting the routing rules, where do i go to look for that?

still new to all this but learning quickly, thanks for the pointers.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by dnotes
@findark thanks for posting the routing rules, where do i go to look for that?
I don't believe there is a free way to get them. The fare rules text also restricts you to 2 transfers each direction in Area 1 (Americas), so I think the maximal UA metal routing is BOS-IAH-LAX-MEL-BNE and v/v. The 789 is a perfectly acceptable aircraft IMO; if you care a lot about direct aisle access take a seat in the middle block.

BOS-IAH-SFO-AKL-SYD-BNE is slightly more *A miles, and BOS-IAH-SFO-SYD-MEL-BNE is probably the most total miles.
dnotes likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

@findark for BOS-IAH-SFO-SYD-MEL-BNE, the domestic Australian sectors are non *A which means you don't get UA PQM nor RDM right? At least that's my understanding when I spoke with CS.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@findark for BOS-IAH-SFO-SYD-MEL-BNE, the domestic Australian sectors are non *A which means you don't get UA PQM nor RDM right? At least that's my understanding when I spoke with CS.
Correct. I don't recommend it unless for whatever reason you're also chasing Oneworld status or just wanted to fly more miles

If you want the most PQM, you should go via SFO-AKL-SYD with the last segment on NZ, and if you want UA lifetime miles, LAX-MEL is the way to go.

Oops, I was reading too fast. It's SFO-AKL-BNE direct, not with a stop in SYD.

Last edited by findark; Jan 3, 2018 at 7:24 pm
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
It's not ideal for lifetime miles, but otherwise you could do BOS-EWR-NRT/HND-SYD, then on to BNE on a local carrier of your choice. I don't know if UA will ticket it with a connection to BNE after SYD or not. That gets you the Polaris 77W EWR-NRT and then NH to SYD which is neutral to UA in terms of PQM. (note, that would not be the case with economy on HND-SYD, but business class matches up regardless of destination). NH flys the 789 on that route which is all aisle access pods in C.

Depends on which you value more, maximizing PQMs and getting the Polaris seat trans-pac or maximizing Lifetime Miles and tolerating a UA 787 ultra-long haul. Doing the UA to NH route does involve changing airports in Tokyo but you have loads of time to do it and it's not difficult. There is a direct train or you could do a direct bus. The only other 200% PQM option all the way to Australia is AC.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

@findark thanks for clarification @dvs7310 yes saw the AC routing BOS-YYZ/YUL-YVR-BNE, apparently it's a PITA with in-out of intl customs + security. The NRT/HND routing sounds interesting, going to see if I can get that to work.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by findark
I don't believe there is a free way to get them. The fare rules text also restricts you to 2 transfers each direction in Area 1 (Americas), so I think the maximal UA metal routing is BOS-IAH-LAX-MEL-BNE and v/v. The 789 is a perfectly acceptable aircraft IMO; if you care a lot about direct aisle access take a seat in the middle block.

BOS-IAH-SFO-AKL-SYD-BNE is slightly more *A miles, and BOS-IAH-SFO-SYD-MEL-BNE is probably the most total miles.
Why BOS-IAH-LAX-MEL-BNE instead of BOS-SFO-LAX-MEL-BNE, when the latter is more miles and lie-flat cross-country?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GBadger
Why BOS-IAH-LAX-MEL-BNE instead of BOS-SFO-LAX-MEL-BNE, when the latter is more miles and lie-flat cross-country?
I forgot about overflying LAX Too used to SFO-IAH-LGA to change coasts for more miles.

You're right of course, BOS-SFO-LAX is a superior routing. In reverse though BOS-IAH-SFO is longer than BOS-LAX-SFO and I think that's where I started before shifting to LAX-MEL because it overflies BNE by more miles.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:25 pm

@findark thanks for clarification @dvs7310 yes saw the AC routing BOS-YYZ/YUL-YVR-BNE, apparently it's a PITA with in-out of intl customs + security. The NRT/HND routing sounds interesting, going to see if I can get that to work.
Canada isn't a PITA at all anymore, especially if you only transit one airport, I'm assuming AC does BOS-YVR? (don't have my Expertflyer open now). Even in the case where you went BOS-YYZ-YVR-SYD, your bags would be tagged as international transit and you don't pick them up at YYZ for Canadian customs. The only thing you'd take through customs is your carry on bags, but for US passport holders, both immigration and customs in Canada is a complete non-issue. They are far friendlier than their US counterparts and we use the kiosks there just like in the US. I'd also add that it's a lot more pleasant to use pre-clearance in Canada to return to the US than it is to enter the US directly.

Personally I'd do the NRT/HND route but don't let Canadian immigration shy you off of that route. Their 777 and 787 seats are every bit as comfortable as UA's in my opinion.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:06 am
Original Poster

@dvs7310 wasn't able to price out BOS-EWR-NRT-HND-SYD on matrix, would you mind sharing where you get it priced?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:24 am

@dvs7310 wasn't able to price out BOS-EWR-NRT-HND-SYD on matrix, would you mind sharing where you get it priced?
yes, if that' how you entered it, it wouldn't price because NRT and HND are the same city, different airports.

Best way on Matrix is BOS-SYD
then open advanced codes and add UA UA NH

that will get it as well as many other UA hubs, but obviously you want EWR or SFO for the polaris product. (I'd.do EWR well over SFO because PS is nice but nowhere as nice as Polaris). I tried a random date and it prices as a Z fare, so assume no P available on that route.

Edit:
I played around with it a bit more, depending on the dates, you can force the SYD-BNE leg as well for the same price. Books into D on VA. To get that, enter BOS-BNE and in advanced codes insted of airlines, enter EWR TYO SYD then reverse on the return. Should come up to $9500 and change with or without the SYD-BNE tag.

Last edited by dvs7310; Jan 4, 2018 at 12:34 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.