Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Burn a RPU/GPU to avoid baggage fees...worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond

I'm flying my non-status daughter back and forth through ORD for college to avoid 14 hours of driving in one day. Flights from CLE-ORD are easy to find below $100 cash. I have so many RPUs and GPUs (24) that I doubt I will ever use them all this year, especially with most of my international flights seemingly to be Polaris where there isn't even a first class any more.

Is it insane to them for a one hour flight but knowing that if she gets upgraded I avoid probably for 2 or 3 bags almost $100 in baggage fees? Just curious as to the collective thoughts of the group. Thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by happytobeme
I'm flying my non-status daughter back and forth through ORD for college to avoid 14 hours of driving in one day. Flights from CLE-ORD are easy to find below $100 cash. I have so many RPUs and GPUs (24) that I doubt I will ever use them all this year, especially with most of my international flights seemingly to be Polaris where there isn't even a first class any more.

Is it insane to them for a one hour flight but knowing that if she gets upgraded I avoid probably for 2 or 3 bags almost $100 in baggage fees? Just curious as to the collective thoughts of the group. Thanks!
Nothing is insane if it helps you. Insane would be for them not being used before the end of the year (2 GPUs can be extended to the next year if you attain again 1K but the RPUs are lost).
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Is it insane to them for a one hour flight but knowing that if she gets upgraded I avoid probably for 2 or 3 bags almost $100 in baggage fees? ...
If you think some will go unused, then getting $100 in value seems very sane. Best to use RPUs as they are less flexible than GPUs and of lower intrinsic value.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

If you're not going to use 'em, why not? F gets two bags.

Amtrak is $58 and allows up to 4 bags - 2 free and 2 at $20/bag.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 3, 2018 at 12:16 pm
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Not insane at all. You're simply monetizing something that could be worthless.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
I think it's a great idea. Like many others, I still have two instruments I can't use before the end of the month. If memory serves:
  • 2 bags at 70lbs, 62 linear inches. They charge for the third bag, so do only two. The biggest I've ever done is 18x18x24 (=60in) cardboard moving box (~$2 at Walmart). I used disposable nylon straps to make sure it stays closed.
  • As long as one segment clears, baggage fees are waived for the entire itinerary. So in theory, you only need to apply one RPU to wipe out the baggage fees. In theory, you could even do multiple round trips on a single itinerary. However, if you have that many, then why not make use of them?
  • Until at least one segment clears, baggage fees are still in effect. If first flight fails, and second flight is still waitlisted, that would hurt. Return flight would be free once it clears, but I'm guessing there won't be any bags.
  • You'll get back any RPU that doesn't clear, anyways.

BTW, when I moved OGG-IAD, the books were going to be a bit heavy, so I shipped them via USPS using the "media mail" rate, which is ridiculously cheap.
drewguy likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
Another alternative would be to buy coach and see what kind of buyup offer you get. For a flight that short it maybe less than 100.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
If anything, letting them go to waste would be insane. I have friends who use GPUs on transcons (which can be difficult to clear with RPUs) because they are always buying paid international J and would have no use for them otherwise.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
$100 in value is a good, rational use for them to me
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by mdbe
Another alternative would be to buy coach and see what kind of buyup offer you get. For a flight that short it maybe less than 100.
A third option is to take a mileage/segment run with her and double your bag allowance for her use. If you're driving her to the airport, it's only a few extra hours.

But agree that with 24 RPUs it's well worth the burn for this purpose, unless you can find saver F and use miles.
BThumme and happytobeme like this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy
A third option is to take a mileage/segment run with her and double your bag allowance for her use. If you're driving her to the airport, it's only a few extra hours.
Actually, more than double, since Plat/1K gets 3 bags...even in Economy.

And ironically, putting the RPU on your own ticket bumps your daughter down, and may be the difference that makes paying for bags necessary. (Of course, you can avoid this and other issues by putting her on a >R0 flight to begin with.)
Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
During boarding of a flight a couple of years ago, some friends of a person sitting in first class were chiding her for sitting in first class as they passed by on the way back to economy. Her reply was that it was cheaper to upgrade to first class than to pay for checked bags.

That is when I realized that complimentary upgrades were about to get scarce.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by wh6cto
Actually, more than double, since Plat/1K gets 3 bags...even in Economy.

And ironically, putting the RPU on your own ticket bumps your daughter down, and may be the difference that makes paying for bags necessary. (Of course, you can avoid this and other issues by putting her on a >R0 flight to begin with.)
1) I meant double whatever the Plat allowance is (I'd forgotten it was 3) if he were accompanying the daughter they'd get 6 bags total.
2) On second, that's true, but if OP's going just to get the bag allowance there's no need to apply RPU just for the bags.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1K
Will United let you use RPUs for your daughter?

Are you flying with your daughter or just using your miles to fly her by herself?
If the latter, better check with United to see if the upgrades are transferable to her: I doubt they are.
1K status perks - such as economy plus seating, priority boarding - no longer transfer to tickets purchased with 1K miles if the person flying is not 1K, so I'd be surprised if she could use your RPUs.

If you are flying with your daughter, she can be upgraded as your companion for purposes of seating and boarding priority. (Probably baggage allowance as well - we rarely check bags so I'm not sure of that.) But in that case, as drewguy pointed out, you don't need to use upgrades as your status will take care of the bags.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by optimom
If the latter, better check with United to see if the upgrades are transferable to her: I doubt they are.
RPUs and GPUs can be used by anyone. The only restriction is that you're not allowed to sell or barter them. Using them for a family member's travel is 100% fine, both by the letter of the law and in practice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.