Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2017]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2016]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Related thread - Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

VDB -- Voluntary Denied Boarding -- is when the flight is overbooked and the airline is looking for volunteers to change their travel plans. It is voluntary and you do not need to participate. The compensation is 100% negotiable. It could be $100's in future travel vouchers, it might be food vouchers, a different routing (perhaps more direct or for MR's more indirect ), perhaps lodging if overnight and sometimes a bump in cabin. It all depends on how desperate the airline is and how flexible you are.

The standard UA policy is after you have agreed to a voucher amount and additional VDBs are still needed, if those passengers get a higher amount, you will also get the higher amount.

The are no DoT requirement for VDB compensation, it is whatever you and the airline agree to. The DoT does require the airline to try VDB before moving to IDB.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The changing story of IDB on UA since the merge and post-Dao
source: BTS Data

Code:
IDB/VDB data for UA (w/o UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 8,214 27
 2017 15,917 900
 2016 14,380 929
 2015 17,373 1,817
 2014 21,469 4,395
 2013 14,095 2,592

IDB/VDB data for UA (w/ UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 16,973 51
Print Wikipost

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by segiddins
Took $2000 for de-planing UA1796 SFO-EWR on 2018-08-30. They were over by 4, 2 people got $700 and business on the 6am. Got offered the 11:30am departure the next day, tried standing by for the 1am (missed it by 3 minutes when the last passenger arrived), and took the 5am to DEN and then connected onward to EWR. Spent the night in the terminal working, and my one meeting the next day got moved, so I'm very happy with that outcome.

The irony is, I had put myself on the list at check-in, but didn't hear them call my name since I was in the lounge! Probably netted me $1000!
So you flew in coach, not business/domestic first? Was overnight hotel offered to you?

When I volunteer, I always make a point to check with gate agent at T-60 to make sure I am on the volunteer list.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
So you flew in coach, not business/domestic first? Was overnight hotel offered to you?

When I volunteer, I always make a point to check with gate agent at T-60 to make sure I am on the volunteer list.
yeah, flew in coach and slept the whole time. They gave me a hotel voucher but since I wanted to make dinner in NY, I was happy to work in the airport all night with another passenger who was playing standby roulette.

fun other tidbit: people on the 777 were applauding me as I walked up to L2, I’m guessing it was all families traveling for Labor Day weekend.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
At the last step during check-in for a flight tomorrow on a CR2, I got a VDB form. First time I see one of those. Form asked me to check one of $100, $200, $300, $400 or name my own price. I declined to volunteer.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 9:23 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
At the last step during check-in for a flight tomorrow on a CR2, I got a VDB form. First time I see one of those. Form asked me to check one of $100, $200, $300, $400 or name my own price. I declined to volunteer.
I had my first on-line VDB offer last weekend flying SFO-LAS. Chose $400. Gate agent said the flight was over by 1 but missed it because of a mis-connnecting pax
Old Oct 13, 2018, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I always write in $1000 .... and then try to be the first in line when the GA arrives. It's pretty rare these days in VDB situations that it is worth less than $500 (with the exception of some rare occasions where you can get in an hour or two late). Many of mine this year have involved taking flights to alternate airports, which has been a saving grace, but definitely not convenient for most.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: United 1K
Ms. Resonant Programer was travelling SFO-BOS on Wednesday. She was booked in Y, but I gave here an RPU. As expected, she was hopelessly far down the upgrade list.

GA asked for volunteers due to oversold flight. Ms. Resonant Programer accepted and was rebooked on the next flight. The GA rebooked her on a C fare in business class. Ms. Resonant Programer was told she was being upgraded since there were no Y seats left on the next flight. The RPU was returned to my account. The flight left with a lengthy uncleared upgrade list.

BThumme and jjmoore like this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Resonant Programmer
Ms. Resonant Programer was travelling SFO-BOS on Wednesday. She was booked in Y, but I gave here an RPU. As expected, she was hopelessly far down the upgrade list.

GA asked for volunteers due to oversold flight. Ms. Resonant Programer accepted and was rebooked on the next flight. The GA rebooked her on a C fare in business class. Ms. Resonant Programer was told she was being upgraded since there were no Y seats left on the next flight. The RPU was returned to my account. The flight left with a lengthy uncleared upgrade list.
Wait - was "The flight left with a lengthy uncleared upgrade list" - the original flight or the "next" flight?

David
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:12 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by DELee
Wait - was "The flight left with a lengthy uncleared upgrade list" - the original flight or the "next" flight?

David
The flight on which she was rebooked left with a lengthy uncleared upgrade list.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Resonant Programmer

The flight on which she was rebooked left with a lengthy uncleared upgrade list.
At that point, she was a J customer; no upgrades involved. That was part of her compensation for the bump. Well done. ^
Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jjmoore
I always write in $1000 .... and then try to be the first in line when the GA arrives. It's pretty rare these days in VDB situations that it is worth less than $500 (with the exception of some rare occasions where you can get in an hour or two late). Many of mine this year have involved taking flights to alternate airports, which has been a saving grace, but definitely not convenient for most.
At the gate just now they are offering $1,500.
jsloan, Buzzman and jjmoore like this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
With the increased PQD requirements coming into play next year, earning some 'free' PQD via VDB will be more important than ever!
Old Oct 14, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
With the increased PQD requirements coming into play next year, earning some 'free' PQD via VDB will be more important than ever!
Do you mean the ETCs are "free" PQD? Just wanting to clarify your comment (for my simple mind).
Old Oct 14, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Do you mean the ETCs are "free" PQD? Just wanting to clarify your comment (for my simple mind).
They basically are. You can use, say, a $500 ETC for a $1000 ticket ($900 airfare + $100 tax), and you will be credited 900PQD having only spent $500 out of pocket.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I certainly agree, but unfortunately I find VDB opportunities are rare in my experience, and much less frequent than years ago.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Took a bump from IAD - BNA and got $500. Was rerouted DCA - ORD and ORD - BNA.
jsloan and jjmoore like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.