Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2017]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2016]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Related thread - Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

VDB -- Voluntary Denied Boarding -- is when the flight is overbooked and the airline is looking for volunteers to change their travel plans. It is voluntary and you do not need to participate. The compensation is 100% negotiable. It could be $100's in future travel vouchers, it might be food vouchers, a different routing (perhaps more direct or for MR's more indirect ), perhaps lodging if overnight and sometimes a bump in cabin. It all depends on how desperate the airline is and how flexible you are.

The standard UA policy is after you have agreed to a voucher amount and additional VDBs are still needed, if those passengers get a higher amount, you will also get the higher amount.

The are no DoT requirement for VDB compensation, it is whatever you and the airline agree to. The DoT does require the airline to try VDB before moving to IDB.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The changing story of IDB on UA since the merge and post-Dao
source: BTS Data

Code:
IDB/VDB data for UA (w/o UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 8,214 27
 2017 15,917 900
 2016 14,380 929
 2015 17,373 1,817
 2014 21,469 4,395
 2013 14,095 2,592

IDB/VDB data for UA (w/ UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 16,973 51
Print Wikipost

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by zymm
So, I have a red-eye SFO-ORD tonight which prompted for volunteers at check-in. I'm connecting to a trip ORD-IAD-ZRH-BOM which is also booked with UA but on a separate PNR (I booked this before moving from ORD to SFO, cheaper to buy surrounding flight than pay change fee/fare difference) with about 4 hours in between. Looking at SFO-ORD flights for late tonight/early tomorrow, they all seem pretty full (F=0, Y = 5 or fewer). If they do end up needing volunteers for my flight, would they be willing/able to combine the PNRs and bump me to some routing that gets me to IAD? How desperate would they have to be to consider this? :P
Unless you are trying to run miles, you should try for SFO-EWR-BOM ... and see if they will give you J on the P.S. flight. As long as I would get a decent E+ seat on the EWR-BOM in making that change, I would be very happy to take any offer for this routing.

Besides, you can fly all UA metal with this reroute.
zymm likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjmoore
Unless you are trying to run miles, you should try for SFO-EWR-BOM ... and see if they will give you J on the P.S. flight. As long as I would get a decent E+ seat on the EWR-BOM in making that change, I would be very happy to take any offer for this routing.

Besides, you can fly all UA metal with this reroute.
They can do anything when sufficiently motivated. The key here is to have them change SFO-ORD to SFO-EWR and ORD-BOM to EWR-BOM. (or SFO-IAD and IAD-BOM). Neither of those are insane changes, so there's a possibility that it would work out. However, you'd need a fairly experienced agent and they'd probably have to really need your seat.

My advice is to arrive at the gate early, and be prepared if they need volunteers. Validate that there's a seat available on the flights that you want, and be ready to explain the situation as well as exactly what you want. They will take volunteers who don't need hotel rooms ahead of those who do, so if you can get onto another redeye, that will help.
zymm likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by zymm
So, I have a red-eye SFO-ORD tonight which prompted for volunteers at check-in. I'm connecting to a trip ORD-IAD-ZRH-BOM which is also booked with UA but on a separate PNR (I booked this before moving from ORD to SFO, cheaper to buy surrounding flight than pay change fee/fare difference) with about 4 hours in between. Looking at SFO-ORD flights for late tonight/early tomorrow, they all seem pretty full (F=0, Y = 5 or fewer). If they do end up needing volunteers for my flight, would they be willing/able to combine the PNRs and bump me to some routing that gets me to IAD? How desperate would they have to be to consider this? :P
you problem is JPM not the willingness of UA to do anything. During JPM they don't overbook nearly as much as they usually do. And yes, they can certainly work with a 2nd ticket if they are desperate.
zymm likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by cfischer
you problem is JPM not the willingness of UA to do anything. During JPM they don't overbook nearly as much as they usually do. And yes, they can certainly work with a 2nd ticket if they are desperate.
JPM??
Old Jan 11, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Flying Machine

JPM??
https://www.jpmorgan.com/country/US/...ces/healthcare
Old Jan 11, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
never would've figured that out! Thank you
Old Jan 11, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Offered to volunteer LHR-IAD this past Sunday which was way oversold (EWR storm). Was going to process the voucher at check in, but because I had a connecting IAD-SFO segment it was a no go. The agent was actually very competent, but could literally find no availability to SFO/SJC on UA in Y/J and ANY airline in Y for the next 2 days, by when I had to be back. I checked myself to make sure, and everything was indeed sold out. There was availability to the east coast for those days, but nothing connecting to SFO/SJC. Bummer.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by zeer0
Offered to volunteer LHR-IAD this past Sunday which was way oversold (EWR storm). Was going to process the voucher at check in, but because I had a connecting IAD-SFO segment it was a no go. The agent was actually very competent, but could literally find no availability to SFO/SJC on UA in Y/J and ANY airline in Y for the next 2 days, by when I had to be back. I checked myself to make sure, and everything was indeed sold out. There was availability to the east coast for those days, but nothing connecting to SFO/SJC. Bummer.
Like I have said before, standby usually works out well in these cases.... especially weather disruptions as there are many no-shows. Even though no availability shows, most flights go out with standbys taken. If you had a day to spare, you would probably be fine (if not out on one of the first flights you stand by for)..... this only works well if you have status.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by zeer0
welcome to JPM. You picked a poor date to volunteer for SFO flights sell out months in advance
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
They can do anything when sufficiently motivated. The key here is to have them change SFO-ORD to SFO-EWR and ORD-BOM to EWR-BOM. (or SFO-IAD and IAD-BOM). Neither of those are insane changes, so there's a possibility that it would work out. However, you'd need a fairly experienced agent and they'd probably have to really need your seat.

My advice is to arrive at the gate early, and be prepared if they need volunteers. Validate that there's a seat available on the flights that you want, and be ready to explain the situation as well as exactly what you want. They will take volunteers who don't need hotel rooms ahead of those who do, so if you can get onto another redeye, that will help.
They combined PNRs for me this past weekend with the travel waiver. Then I did a VDB so not exactly the same thing. Regardless, they were very accommodating. With all of it, I ended up with a better routing, a night at a great hotel and travel vouchers.
zeer0 and zymm like this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Like I have said before, standby usually works out well in these cases.... especially weather disruptions as there are many no-shows. Even though no availability shows, most flights go out with standbys taken. If you had a day to spare, you would probably be fine (if not out on one of the first flights you stand by for)..... this only works well if you have status.
Have status, although there were 2 of us. Maybe should have pressed a little harder but the check in agent spent a good 15 minutes looking for alternatives.

Would they even cover hotel if we got moved to stand by and didn't clear?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
welcome to JPM. You picked a poor date to volunteer for SFO flights sell out months in advance
I've done SFO-LHR direct twice in the past 2 months and all flights were half empty. Both during holiday breaks.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
For the first time ever, I think I regret vdb’ing.

due to the weather waiver in iah I was able to reroute sfo-ewr-iah-qro, in business. I was in paid business class and it was going to be my first time trying a domestic premium product. They announced they needed a volunteer for the 1040pm redeye starting at 500 and a hotel. I jumped on it since I was going to have a 1hour layover in iah anyways due to flight cancellations today to queretaro.

at the very end, they let me board, then came running back down to grab me because they did need me. I was rerouted sfo-mex-qro, mex-qro on Aeromexico. I had to fight for compensation because they said I was getting in four hours earlier.

i said I would only volunteer my seat for compensation, since J in a 772 overnight to a 4 hour a320 flight is a pretty big downgrade, and a 10 hour layover in Mexico City now.

I tried to ask for more since Ua wouldn’t need to get a hotel, but they wouldn’t budge, and I think we’re frustrated at me to begin with since I was still going for compensation despite getting in earlier.

so business from sfo-ewr-iah-qro to biz sfo-mex and economy mex-qro, $500, and a $20 food voucher that I don’t even know if it works in Mexico’s t2.

I Would think needing a biz class seat for a premium route would go for at least 1k. I now have 8 hours to kill in mex, and kind of regret doing this. I could really use the voucher though.

i guess the silver lining is not laying over in Newark and Houston? And Maybe I will have avoided more
Houston weather problems.

Last edited by BThumme; Jan 16, 2018 at 6:22 am
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by BThumme

due to the weather waiver in iah I was able to reroute sfo-ewr-iah-qro, in business. I was in paid business class and it was going to be my first time trying a domestic premium product. They announced they needed a volunteer for the 1040pm redeye starting at 500 and a hotel. I jumped on it since I was going to have a 1hour layover in iah anyways due to flight cancellations today to queretaro.

at the very end, they let me board, then came running back down to grab me because they did need me. I was rerouted sfo-mex-qro, mex-qro on Aeromexico. I had to fight for compensation because they said I was getting in four hours earlier.

i said I would only volunteer my seat for compensation, since J in a 772 overnight to a 4 hour a320 flight is a pretty big downgrade, and a 10 hour layover in Mexico City now.

I tried to ask for more since Ua wouldn’t need to get a hotel, but they wouldn’t budge, and I think we’re frustrated at me to begin with since I was still going for compensation despite getting in earlier.

so business from sfo-ewr-iah-qro to biz sfo-mex and economy mex-qro, $500, and a $20 food voucher that I don’t even know if it works in Mexico’s t2.

I Would think needing a biz class seat for a premium route would go for at least 1k. I now have 8 hours to kill in mex, and kind of regret doing this. I could really use the voucher though.

i guess the silver lining is not laying over in Newark and Houston? And Maybe I will have avoided more
Houston weather problems.
I would doubt the food voucher work's in Mexico's T2. Don't forget to claim ORC! (And possibly even get double credit if you credit SFO-MEX to Skyteam)? Don't be afraid to say "no" next time if you think you're getting the short end of the stick.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BThumme

due to the weather waiver in iah I was able to reroute sfo-ewr-iah-qro, in business. I was in paid business class and it was going to be my first time trying a domestic premium product. They announced they needed a volunteer for the 1040pm redeye starting at 500 and a hotel. I jumped on it since I was going to have a 1hour layover in iah anyways due to flight cancellations today to queretaro. ...
You regret it from the air-travel perspective, the possible lack of ORC, or because you feel you were lowballed? $500 to avoid a needless transcon and getting there early seems like a win.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.