Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2017]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2016]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Related thread - Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

VDB -- Voluntary Denied Boarding -- is when the flight is overbooked and the airline is looking for volunteers to change their travel plans. It is voluntary and you do not need to participate. The compensation is 100% negotiable. It could be $100's in future travel vouchers, it might be food vouchers, a different routing (perhaps more direct or for MR's more indirect ), perhaps lodging if overnight and sometimes a bump in cabin. It all depends on how desperate the airline is and how flexible you are.

The standard UA policy is after you have agreed to a voucher amount and additional VDBs are still needed, if those passengers get a higher amount, you will also get the higher amount.

The are no DoT requirement for VDB compensation, it is whatever you and the airline agree to. The DoT does require the airline to try VDB before moving to IDB.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The changing story of IDB on UA since the merge and post-Dao
source: BTS Data

Code:
IDB/VDB data for UA (w/o UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 8,214 27
 2017 15,917 900
 2016 14,380 929
 2015 17,373 1,817
 2014 21,469 4,395
 2013 14,095 2,592

IDB/VDB data for UA (w/ UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 16,973 51
Print Wikipost

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Old Jun 8, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
The only other option, besides a mistake, is a super deceitful GA, which, like others, I just don’t believe. However it’s less implausible than some of the other theories bouncing around here.
Which is why I asked if anyone knows how the system functions when someone VDBs for free after another volunteers for free. Does it 'force' you to revoke the voucher? I recall watching her change C's itinerary and then have a quick convo with another GA at the podium before calling B back. I don't think she was trying to intentionally defraud B, as I said she looked rather young and was having difficulties not only with the system but their language. On the other hand it was obvious even to me, standing 10' away, that these two were friends travelling together even though they were on a separate PNR.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by AugustusM
Which is why I asked if anyone knows how the system functions when someone VDBs for free after another volunteers for free. Does it 'force' you to revoke the voucher? I recall watching her change C's itinerary and then have a quick convo with another GA at the podium before calling B back. I don't think she was trying to intentionally defraud B, as I said she looked rather young and was having difficulties not only with the system but their language. On the other hand it was obvious even to me, standing 10' away, that these two were friends travelling together even though they were on a separate PNR.
Yes perhaps the system locked her out somehow. But then the super should have corrected it. This is all making sense now.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Took a VDB last week CMH-EWR.

Gave up my seat to get OAL'd to AA CMH-LGA leaving 15 minutes later.

Landed at LGA, took a quick Uber to Penn Station, hopped right on a 20 minute NJ Transit train ride to EWR, and I was in my car driving home.

$1000 voucher.

I'll do that anytime!
jsloan, haroon145, jjmoore and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold

This is exactly correct, and I assume what UA intends in this (rare) instance. All these other UA apologists, for which I generally am one, is a bunch of rubbish.
United does not at all "intend" to get two volunteers for two needed seats and then accommodate a third change for free for a person who suddenly insists he can't be separated from one of the first two.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by joe_miami
United does not at all "intend" to get two volunteers for two needed seats and then accommodate a third change for free for a person who suddenly insists he can't be separated from one of the first two.
Yes, and if GA had said to B and C "hey, I can move both of you, but then VDB comp, ok?", we wouldn't be having this conversation. And if GA had said "sorry, C, I have my two volunteers you can either board or get marked as a no show", we also wouldn't be having this conversation.

It also would have been acceptable for UA to say "ok, never mind, you two board and we'll find another volunteer" at any point in this process. What's not ok is for C to be rebooked with no comp and B to be on original flight. C did not agree to move to the new flight alone for free; he agreed to move with companion. The only way GA isn't a total a-hole here is if they didn't understand / there was some confusion (which seems likely).

In my mind, if GA knew C was agreeing to move to B's flight, and C got moved to a flight B wasn't on, then C wasn't given his VDB comp properly.

The tricky part here is B was then moved to new flight. So C got what he was offered (flight with B) and B was given a chance to board original flight and so is not due a voucher or other comp since he was not denied boarding.

If B had boarded original flight as requested by GA, and C was not allowed to board, then there might be some DOT-style justice for C (he agreed to be moved in exchange for staying with B; was not moved to stay with B; therefore VDB agreement was violated).

If GA had said "hey B, come over here...since your friend C is offering to move for free, I'm going to have to take that voucher form back and move you both to the new flight, or you can both unvolunteer and board now", that would have been fine. Instead GA said "ok C, I'll move you to be with B....ok B come please hand that voucher form back and board the flight without C". This indicates total deceit or a genuine misunderstanding.
txaggiemiles likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:00 am

They certainly don’t “intend” for their agents to be deceitful
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:13 am
Suspended

They certainly don’t “intend” for their agents to be deceitful
We're going in circles. Without an audio tape, we'll never know if the GA was deceitful or if there was a miscommunication.

However, since it makes no sense whatsoever that the GA would have changed C's flight for the express purpose of allowing him to fly with B, only for the GA to tell B to board the original flight, "miscommunication" seems a lot more likely here than "deceit."
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
They do if that's the only way for them to get the two volunteers they need, right?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SamOF
They do if that's the only way for them to get the two volunteers they need, right?
Right, but that wasn't the only way here (and that's apparently not the deal Passenger B struck with the GA). The GA could have told Passenger A he was no longer needed and rebooked B and C for the same $1,000 voucher cost to United, but that's not what happened. That tells me this wasn't just a GA looking out for United's bottom line.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Right, but that wasn't the only way here (and that's apparently not the deal Passenger B struck with the GA). The GA could have told Passenger A he was no longer needed and rebooked B and C for the same $1,000 voucher cost to United, but that's not what happened. That tells me this wasn't just a GA looking out for United's bottom line.
I feel like we are talking in circles here. There are too many variables in play here that likely influenced this situation, and too many of us are trying to decipher how these variables came into play in this situation without being there to see it. I think there are a couple learning opportunities here for all:

1) Understand your rights - a GA cannot strong-arm you into off-loading without compensation that is agreed upon (and signed documentation) before. I have had a GA tell me in a couple instances when I VDBed a few years ago that my protection flight will arrive within 2 hours of my originally scheduled flight and that I was not eligible for compensation. I did not agree to this, and told the GA that if I was not compensated, I would not agree to off-loading from my original flight (which was then followed by the GA compensating me for the advertised amount every time).

2) If you are traveling with a friend or significant other and only 1 seat is needed... Negotiate!! On 2 occasions while traveling with my wife, we were on flights oversold by 1 person. I was able to walk to the gate and negotiate that we would both move to a protection flight under the condition that one of us received compensation for the seat that was needed. This conversation was very clear and effective, and we got what we wanted. I believe this advice pertains very well to this case and customers B and C did not partake in an effective conversation / negotiation here... they muddied up the water and created a situation that confused the gate agent, which resulted in the situation that has consumed half of this year's' VDB thread.

3) Be quick to act in VDB situations, but only accept an offer if it makes sense and feels right. Always be quick to approach a GA if a VDB situation occurs. You do not commit to off-loading until you sign the VDB document. If you get up to the desk and then learn that the delay is significant and / or not worth the compensation, you can always walk away without losing anything.

This is all you really need to know... you can pore through this thread and the threads from previous years for other hints and suggestions. If you follow these simple tips above, many situations like what has been described the last couple days can be avoided altogether.
jsloan and txaggiemiles like this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Yes perhaps the system locked her out somehow. But then the super should have corrected it. This is all making sense now.
I don't think the super had any empathy for the situation, at least while I was still on line for BG1 prior to boarding, and said (paraphrasing), 'Nope, you're not on the same itin so you cannot get a voucher'. She could have inquired as to their travelling plans, which I still insist was fairly obvious, but at that point it was board quickly or get another EWR ATC hold so she told them to make up their minds on the travel arrangements.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:16 pm

We're going in circles. Without an audio tape, we'll never know if the GA was deceitful or if there was a miscommunication.

However, since it makes no sense whatsoever that the GA would have changed C's flight for the express purpose of allowing him to fly with B, only for the GA to tell B to board the original flight, "miscommunication" seems a lot more likely here than "deceit."
yes I agree and I have stated that multiple times.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
And finally... the Moore family scored a VDB yesterday for the first time in 15 months! UA4581 on 6/25 took 2 volunteers at $700... CRJ-200 was oversold by 2 people and every single person checked in. Not a bad score for Mrs. Moore, and we got to spend another night together in the bay area before sending her home this morning.

Bonus: The XN booking turned into a Y booking, and since she is UA Gold, she was able to instant upgrade into first class on today's flight.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Gold, Krisflyer Gold, HHonors Gold
In the case of either an IDB or a VDB, does United ever issue UA miles as compensation or only ETC's (or cash in the case of IDB's)?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by robbo135
In the case of either an IDB or a VDB, does United ever issue UA miles as compensation or only ETC's (or cash in the case of IDB's)?
VDB is always an ETC (in the form of a TCVA, which is like cash but only for use on UA and UA Express). IDB is always cashier's check, which you can deposit directly into a checking / savings account, or cash in for real $$.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.