Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2017]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2016]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Related thread - Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

VDB -- Voluntary Denied Boarding -- is when the flight is overbooked and the airline is looking for volunteers to change their travel plans. It is voluntary and you do not need to participate. The compensation is 100% negotiable. It could be $100's in future travel vouchers, it might be food vouchers, a different routing (perhaps more direct or for MR's more indirect ), perhaps lodging if overnight and sometimes a bump in cabin. It all depends on how desperate the airline is and how flexible you are.

The standard UA policy is after you have agreed to a voucher amount and additional VDBs are still needed, if those passengers get a higher amount, you will also get the higher amount.

The are no DoT requirement for VDB compensation, it is whatever you and the airline agree to. The DoT does require the airline to try VDB before moving to IDB.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The changing story of IDB on UA since the merge and post-Dao
source: BTS Data

Code:
IDB/VDB data for UA (w/o UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 8,214 27
 2017 15,917 900
 2016 14,380 929
 2015 17,373 1,817
 2014 21,469 4,395
 2013 14,095 2,592

IDB/VDB data for UA (w/ UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 16,973 51
Print Wikipost

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by prometa
It's a lot easier for me to believe B & C coming up to the podium separately combined with the language barrier misled the GA into thinking B & C weren't travelling together, and by the time the GA realized what had happened, the system wasn't going to allow a new $1000 ETC to be generated for a third unnecessary VDB, the pilot was pushing to board, so they just persuaded B & C to take what already happened as the way it is and started boarding.
Sorry if my description may have been unclear but the both approached the podium together, they both had their laptops open and were checking something (schedules I'm assuming) and were going back and forth in another language with each other when B then opted to take the voucher.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
I know some here will disagree, but if B and C truly were insisting on flying together, there was really no need to compensate either of them, especially if the free change for C wasn't part of B's original deal with the GA.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joe_miami
If B and C truly were insisting on flying together, there was really no need to compensate either of them, especially if the free change for C wasn't part of B's original deal with the GA.
I disagree. One of their seats was still needed. Without the compensation, they wouldn't have moved their flights to the next day, and you'd still be looking for a volunteer. Now, to be clear, I don't think they should have both been given $1000 vouchers; you either give B $1000 and C $0, or you give them each $500 while still giving A $1000. But, if the GA didn't like plan α or plan β, plan ɣ was to tell B, "I'm sorry, you either have to split up or I can't offer you compensation to move," and when B presumably declined that (non-)offer, proceed to solicit another volunteer. End of story.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jsloan
I disagree. One of their seats was still needed. Without the compensation, they wouldn't have moved their flights to the next day, and you'd still be looking for a volunteer.
Maybe, maybe not. In my pre-status days, there were plenty of times I would have been thrilled with a free change so I could stay another day. But that aside, once C insisted he had to fly with B, B and C were changing the deal. This is why I initially speculated the GA felt they were playing games.

Unless the OP missed some subsequent theatrics, it doesn't sound like B and C objected very strenuously (if at all) when the original flight started boarding without them despite neither of them being compensated. This suggests they were okay with spending an extra day in CVG, and were simply trying to hit a home run by getting $1,000 (or $2,000) on top of it.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Unless the OP missed some subsequent theatrics, it doesn't sound like B and C objected very strenuously when the original flight started boarding without them despite neither of them being compensated.
They looked very befuddled at that point, that's when the pilot came up for the second time and the GA said B had to make a call on whether he wanted to stay on the flight or VDB for free with C.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by AugustusM
They looked very befuddled at that point, that's when the pilot came up for the second time and the GA said B had to make a call on whether he wanted to stay on the flight or VDB for free with C.
A Hobson's Choice at that point.

Clearly if the choices had been:
1) B & C stay on original flight, or
2) B & C fly the next day with no compensation for either, or
3) Fly separately (with or without B getting compensated)

...the choice likely would have been #1 . If B & C were only given Choices #2 & #3 , that is clearly a problem.
jsloan and jjmoore like this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by SS255

...the choice likely would have been #1 . If B & C were only given Choices #2 & #3 , that is clearly a problem.
It was indeed choice #2 or #3 .
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SS255

They couldn't have only been given choices 2 and 3 — the GA doesn't have the authority to change people's flights without comp and without consent. They clearly had choice 1 until Passenger C went up and muddied everything up by trying to change Passenger B's deal after the fact.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

There's simply no excusing the GAs' (and supervisor's) behavior here. They essentially defrauded one of their customers out of a $1000 voucher. The fact that they may have taken advantage of a language barrier to do so puts it further beyond the pale. From the bottom of my heart, I hope that this was a misunderstanding and not a deliberate attempt to take advantage of the passengers, but still, there were only two reasonable options: VDB B with comp and allow C to change for free, or refuse VDB comp to B and solicit another volunteer.
What possible reason would a GA or even the supervisor have to be deceptive here - unless that gets them personally excited? That's what I don't understand about some of the posts - it isn't like the supervisor or GA share some windfall if comp isn't given. They could care less - probably even happy for you.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat
II'm not entirely sure why you're mocking my words, because you're right -- no reasonable person would act that way, either.
If I mocked you, it was certainly in jest

Sorry if my description may have been unclear but the both approached the podium together, they both had their laptops open and were checking something (schedules I'm assuming) and were going back and forth in another language with each other when B then opted to take the voucher.
Well that changes things! While the GA should have realized they likely wanted to stay together, I still think B and C need to work on their communication (with each other). Why would B take the deal when C was still (presumably) undecided? This whole problem could have been avoided if B and C made it clear that they were a package deal. The fact that B jumped in (and C didn’t immediately follow) weakens that argument and cuts in favor of the GA treating them as separate entities.

It was indeed choice #2 or #3 .
They were not given choice #2. They were given the standard boilerplate: "We need one seat…" C effectively chose #2 when they agreed to a voluntary change bc they mistakenly thought B was already rebooked. Prior to C sealing their fate, they could have stuck to #1.

So my apportionment of blame is as follows:
B 70% (no teamwork)
C 20% (bad assumption)
GA 10% (no situational awareness)
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
They were not given choice #2.
My comment was in regards once the wheels were set in motion.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
What possible reason would a GA or even the supervisor have to be deceptive here - unless that gets them personally excited? That's what I don't understand about some of the posts - it isn't like the supervisor or GA share some windfall if comp isn't given. They could care less - probably even happy for you.
And if the GAs were really this cutthroat, they would have told Passenger A he was no longer needed after changing Pax B and C, which would have solved the problem for $0. It's not like the first to the podium always ends up being needed/compensated.

It's certainly possible the GAs were unethical, but it seems more likely there was some sort of miscommunication with, or game-playing by, Pax B and C.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Indeed, I have no idea. I'm basically struggling to figure that out as well. When I've VDB'd, I've always gotten a pleasant attitude from the GA, who presumably understands that VDBs are a cost of doing business that actually lead to increased profits overall even if one passenger gets a windfall. Maybe it has something to do with the pressure to get the delayed flight out -- if B had un-volunteered, as it were, they'd be stuck looking for a new volunteer and cause a further delay.

Presumably there is some incentive to the GAs regarding oversale compensation, though, since otherwise they could just start at the maximum. Even if it's nothing more than a comment from somebody at HQ, that may have been an incentive here. I don't know. It's definitely not coming out of their pocket, and I sincerely doubt that there's a comp P&L on a station-by-station basis.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat
My comment was in regards once the wheels were set in motion.
Okay fine. But that's quite a distinction to make. Offering choice #2 was perfectly reasonable once C offloaded himself. You can't unring that bell. And #1 was nonexistent at that point.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:36 am

Programs: UA 1K
I disagree. One of their seats was still needed. Without the compensation, they wouldn't have moved their flights to the next day, and you'd still be looking for a volunteer. Now, to be clear, I don't think they should have both been given $1000 vouchers; you either give B $1000 and C $0, or you give them each $500 while still giving A $1000. But, if the GA didn't like plan α or plan β, plan ɣ was to tell B, "I'm sorry, you either have to split up or I can't offer you compensation to move," and when B presumably declined that (non-)offer, proceed to solicit another volunteer. End of story.
This is exactly correct, and I assume what UA intends in this (rare) instance.
It’s clear, in fact obvious, that either the language barrier or the fact that these were inexperienced travelers (or both) was a major factor here.

Not a single poster to this thread would have walked away without compensation. This is not a knock on the GAs, in fact, I do believe that, at the very least, the original GA didn’t understand what was happening. The posters faulting the travelers are out of line.

I love this story so much. Not because I want there to be a winner or a loser, but because I love hearing - especially from the one who witnesses it first hand- about people’s reactions under stress. UA failed these guys, doesn’t mean UA was wrong or even deceitful, but no compensation in this situation is clearly a mistake.

The only other option, besides a mistake, is a super deceitful GA, which, like others, I just don’t believe. However it’s less implausible than some of the other theories bouncing around here.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 8, 2018 at 3:43 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member; Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.