Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2017]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2016]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Related thread - Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

VDB -- Voluntary Denied Boarding -- is when the flight is overbooked and the airline is looking for volunteers to change their travel plans. It is voluntary and you do not need to participate. The compensation is 100% negotiable. It could be $100's in future travel vouchers, it might be food vouchers, a different routing (perhaps more direct or for MR's more indirect ), perhaps lodging if overnight and sometimes a bump in cabin. It all depends on how desperate the airline is and how flexible you are.

The standard UA policy is after you have agreed to a voucher amount and additional VDBs are still needed, if those passengers get a higher amount, you will also get the higher amount.

The are no DoT requirement for VDB compensation, it is whatever you and the airline agree to. The DoT does require the airline to try VDB before moving to IDB.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The changing story of IDB on UA since the merge and post-Dao
source: BTS Data

Code:
IDB/VDB data for UA (w/o UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 8,214 27
 2017 15,917 900
 2016 14,380 929
 2015 17,373 1,817
 2014 21,469 4,395
 2013 14,095 2,592

IDB/VDB data for UA (w/ UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 16,973 51
Print Wikipost

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by joe_miami
This makes it even more weird. Two GAs plus a supervisor heard Passenger C insist that he wanted/needed to travel with Passenger B, so they changed Passenger C's flight and then ... told Passenger B to board the original flight with no comp?
The supervisor didn't hear this until after the GA pulled the comp but did however affirm that there would be no comp for B.

Look, I understand it makes very little sense but I watched it unfold over the course of about 30 minutes and have zero reason to embellish. The whole thing was like a slow motion train wreck.
txaggiemiles likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by AugustusM
Look, I understand it makes very little sense but I watched it unfold over the course of about 30 minutes and have zero reason to embellish. The whole thing was like a slow motion train wreck.
Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for all of this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for all of this.
It was a bit surreal, when the GA called B back over I pretty knew she was going to pull his comp. I still think the supervisor could have fixed this but as I said earlier, the pilot came up twice and was anxious to push so it was 'too bad, so sad' time from her.
txaggiemiles likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles

Not sure why people wish to stop this discussion, by far the most enjoyable story on FT in months.
I agree. For a lot of us in this thread, the VDB reports have gone way down. I know now is summer time and there's less business travel, but ever since Dao, the reports are way down of VDBs. These are (fun?)/relevant discussions relating to this topic. While of course I would much rather hear about people negotiating some pretty sweet deals, the truth is the airlines are better about this and we are getting less reports, and this is one way to live vicariously.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by BThumme
I agree. For a lot of us in this thread, the VDB reports have gone way down. I know now is summer time and there's less business travel, but ever since Dao, the reports are way down of VDBs. These are (fun?)/relevant discussions relating to this topic. While of course I would much rather hear about people negotiating some pretty sweet deals, the truth is the airlines are better about this and we are getting less reports, and this is one way to live vicariously.
I thought the $1,200 for CVG-EWR was a great number and I would have taken it but it was Friday and I wanted to get home for an event and the next flight was also looking to be delayed/oversold.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
I thought the $1,200 for CVG-EWR was a great number and I would have taken it but it was Friday and I wanted to get home for an event and the next flight was also looking to be delayed/oversold.
So this was all YOUR fault
AugustusM likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by BThumme
So this was all YOUR fault
Hah, totally. I could have gotten a sweet $1,200 voucher and those guys wouldn't have been stuck in Covington.

Last edited by AugustusM; Jun 7, 2018 at 7:35 am
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: AA Plat
B and C at fault. GA innocent!

I think B and C were at fault for separating from each other. And the language barrier probably didn't help.

And what is this paperwork you speak of? IIRC a VDB simply requires a signature since UA already has your ticket info. Is there more to it? Why would B have to sit down to complete the form?

And I don't have a problem with the GA's behavior. They're an agent (literally) of United and not a slot machine! The story could have just as well been told as three unrelated people: A volunteers and is bumped, B volunteers and is in the process of getting bumped, then C volunteers for free. The moment C volunteered, B was no longer needed. End of story. Too bad, so sad. B was always a lady in waiting. He had no valid contract (at least written). In fact, since C was rebooked before B, the GA could have told B to get his butt on the bloody plane or at least charged him the applicable change fees. If they want to pursue damages against United, be my guest. I'm quite a litigious person myself but I wouldn't do more than write a nice letter to customer care.

And while GA would have been particularly "savvy" in hosing A too, that would have likely been illegal since the ink was dried on A's contract. While clearing a SBY sounds silly, A was likely long gone and would not have forfeited his comp anyways.

Last edited by sexykitten7; Jun 7, 2018 at 10:09 am Reason: Added rebook sentence.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
I think B and C were at fault for separating from each other. And the language barrier probably didn't help.
Who knows why they separated? There are plenty of reasons to be on separate PNRs, including some that are out of their control (e.g., a CPU at any point in the journey).

And what is this paperwork you speak of? IIRC a VDB simply requires a signature since UA already has your ticket info. Is there more to it? Why would B have to sit down to complete the form?
You have to fill out your name and address on the VDB form. It takes a few moments -- longer if you have the audacity to want to read the four pages of terms and conditions. Especially if you're a non-native English speaker.

And I don't have a problem with the GA's behavior. They're an agent (literally) of United and not a slot machine! The story could have just as well been told as three unrelated people: A volunteers and is bumped, B volunteers and is in the process of getting bumped, then C volunteers for free. The moment C volunteered, B was no longer needed.
That's a ridiculous counterfactual. For one thing, C was trying to fly with B, which both B and C presumably tried to make clear. But, to take your counterfactual at face value -- why would C do that? C, who has been waiting around patiently to board a delayed flight, hears them offer $1000 compensation to take a later departure, and thinks, "Golly, I think spending another night here would be fun! I'll go up and volunteer to change for free so that United won't have to pay any VDB compensation!" No reasonable person would act in this fashion.

There's simply no excusing the GAs' (and supervisor's) behavior here. They essentially defrauded one of their customers out of a $1000 voucher. The fact that they may have taken advantage of a language barrier to do so puts it further beyond the pale. From the bottom of my heart, I hope that this was a misunderstanding and not a deliberate attempt to take advantage of the passengers, but still, there were only two reasonable options: VDB B with comp and allow C to change for free, or refuse VDB comp to B and solicit another volunteer.

And while GA would have been particularly "savvy" in hosing A too, that would have likely been illegal since the ink was dried on A's contract. While clearing a SBY sounds silly, A was likely long gone and would not have forfeited his comp anyways.
It's actually rare for the vouchers to be processed while the boarding door is still open. I have seen stories from the "good old days" of people getting VDB comp and then successfully standing by for the flight they just got VDB'd from, which is probably part of the reason for that. I doubt it would be "illegal" to rescind the comp -- I think the fine print probably gives UA an out -- but the optics would be even worse than they already are.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
Who knows why they separated? There are plenty of reasons to be on separate PNRs, including some that are out of their control (e.g., a CPU at any point in the journey).
I meant physically separated.

You have to fill out your name and address on the VDB form. It takes a few moments -- longer if you have the audacity to want to read the four pages of terms and conditions. Especially if you're a non-native English speaker.
So B can't read or write while standing?

That's a ridiculous counterfactual. For one thing, C was trying to fly with B, which both B and C presumably tried to make clear. But, to take your counterfactual at face value -- why would C do that? C, who has been waiting around patiently to board a delayed flight, hears them offer $1000 compensation to take a later departure, and thinks, "Golly, I think spending another night here would be fun! I'll go up and volunteer to change for free so that United won't have to pay any VDB compensation!" No reasonable person would act in this fashion.
I agree C likely made the decision to rebook under the false belief that B was already rebooked too. So what? That isn’t UA’s fault.

It's actually rare for the vouchers to be processed while the boarding door is still open. I have seen stories from the "good old days" of people getting VDB comp and then successfully standing by for the flight they just got VDB'd from, which is probably part of the reason for that. I doubt it would be "illegal" to rescind the comp -- I think the fine print probably gives UA an out -- but the optics would be even worse than they already are.
I agree. UA could have unbumped A. Then called him to the boarding area (forgetting to use the loudspeaker). Then autocancel his itin and burn the ETC without his knowledge. But "No reasonable person would act in this fashion."
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:32 am

I meant physically separated.
B went to sit down at one of the charging/work stations to fill out the form. He was only 20 or so feet away if you've ever been in CVG. C was still at the podium having it explained that they didn't need anyone else to take a VDB with voucher when he offered to join his friend the next day on the same flight for free since he didn't want to fly alone that day.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So B can't read or write while standing?
I've sat to fill out the form before. It never occurred to me that I might be giving up my rights by doing so.

I agree C likely made the decision to rebook under the false belief that B was already rebooked too. So what? That isn’t UA’s fault.
I will tip my cap to you; at least you're consistent. Caveat emptor, and all that. I would not want to do business with a company that thinks that this is a fair way to treat their customers. If I believed that this were anything but an isolated incident, I'd be seriously rethinking my travel plans. If C says "I want to travel with my friend," then C is not indicating a preference to change flights for free in order to allow B to travel on the original flight. I don't know how much clearer this could be.

I agree. UA could have unbumped A. Then called him to the boarding area (forgetting to use the loudspeaker). Then autocancel his itin and burn the ETC without his knowledge. But "No reasonable person would act in this fashion."
I'm not entirely sure why you're mocking my words, because you're right -- no reasonable person would act that way, either. That's why I'm inclined to chalk this up as a gross misunderstanding rather than outright deception -- because I think a deceptive GA would have tried to do exactly that. (Well, maybe without the loudspeaker part). But, if you assume the actions of the GA were intended to clear a spot on the plane without comp, then I would argue that the GA was not being a reasonable person.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
The supervisor didn't hear this until after the GA pulled the comp but did however affirm that there would be no comp for B.

I'm not at all accusing you of embellishing the story. To the contrary, it seems like something is missing, for the reason I mentioned a couple times yesterday — the GA changing C's flight so he could fly with B, but then telling B to board the original flight, makes no sense at all. Clearly, there was a miscommunication somewhere.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by joe_miami
I'm not at all accusing you of embellishing the story. To the contrary, it seems like something is missing, for the reason I mentioned a couple times yesterday — the GA changing C's flight so he could fly with B, but then telling B to board the original flight, makes no sense at all. Clearly, there was a miscommunication somewhere.
I don't have much of an understanding how the United computer system functions but I am curious to know that if when the GA VDB'd C if it automatically revokes the voucher offer for B or if that's manual.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:15 am

I have a hard time believing a GA would essentially defraud a customer out of a $1000 ETC in the way one possible explanation for what happened has been described. You'd be creating two pissed off customers (B&C) who feel they have actual monetary damages to claim ($1000 ETC) and will therefore probably raise hell either at the gate or afterward, in a circumstance (VDB) where UA has already taken a significant PR hit. I can't imagine the GA wants to deal with pissed off customers to save $1000 ETC in the first place.

It's a lot easier for me to believe B & C coming up to the podium separately combined with the language barrier misled the GA into thinking B & C weren't travelling together, and by the time the GA realized what had happened, the system wasn't going to allow a new $1000 ETC to be generated for a third unnecessary VDB, the pilot was pushing to board, so they just persuaded B & C to take what already happened as the way it is and started boarding.

At that point, the supervisor should have walked B & C to the nearest customer service counter (or empty UA gate) and done what it took to generate the $1000 ETC. If he/she didn't, then we're witnessing another example of UA customer service shooting themselves in the foot, but without any malice attributed. A $1000 ETC, after taking breakage into account, is the cheapest possible way to avoid another major PR hit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.