Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2017]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2016]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Related thread - Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

VDB -- Voluntary Denied Boarding -- is when the flight is overbooked and the airline is looking for volunteers to change their travel plans. It is voluntary and you do not need to participate. The compensation is 100% negotiable. It could be $100's in future travel vouchers, it might be food vouchers, a different routing (perhaps more direct or for MR's more indirect ), perhaps lodging if overnight and sometimes a bump in cabin. It all depends on how desperate the airline is and how flexible you are.

The standard UA policy is after you have agreed to a voucher amount and additional VDBs are still needed, if those passengers get a higher amount, you will also get the higher amount.

The are no DoT requirement for VDB compensation, it is whatever you and the airline agree to. The DoT does require the airline to try VDB before moving to IDB.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The changing story of IDB on UA since the merge and post-Dao
source: BTS Data

Code:
IDB/VDB data for UA (w/o UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 8,214 27
 2017 15,917 900
 2016 14,380 929
 2015 17,373 1,817
 2014 21,469 4,395
 2013 14,095 2,592

IDB/VDB data for UA (w/ UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 16,973 51
Print Wikipost

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Old Jul 28, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
My wife’s EWR-MSY flight this morning was oversold by 2 people. UA just handed out $2500 each to 2 lucky people (she’s coming with me to a wedding, so no flexibility unfortunately).
kohswisscheese and salisboss like this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
My wife’s EWR-MSY flight this morning was oversold by 2 people. UA just handed out $2500 each to 2 lucky people (she’s coming with me to a wedding, so no flexibility unfortunately).
$2500! Laissez les bons temps rouler!
Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by mehitabel
Yesterday, flying EWR-MSP-SFO--originally booked on nonstop early morning flight, but had SDC'd to afternoon and only non-directs were available in my fare class. EWR-MSP overbooked - unsure by how many, but about 10 on standby list for ERJ-175. Forgot I'd signed up for VDB at OLCI until gate agent called my name. Ended up on direct EWR-SFO, dep one hour later but arriving SFO one hour earlier than original itinerary, with $500 voucher. E+ middle seat. Due to short time to shuttle from EWR A28 to C terminal, didn't wait around for meal voucher that was part of the package -- as SFO was my final stop, didn't need one anyway.
That's amazing congrats! Technically of course you weren't owed anything. They could have IDBed you for free! But I suppose $500 is comp for the seat d/g. And you got your free meal after all!
Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
That's amazing congrats! Technically of course you weren't owed anything. They could have IDBed you for free! But I suppose $500 is comp for the seat d/g. And you got your free meal after all!
Thanks--I was pretty happy. It was actually a bit more complicated - my original seats were bulkhead aisle/window E+ on an EMB-175 (EWR-MSP) and A320 (MSP-SFO). The GA first offered $250 for EWR-MSP, either an hour later (seat unspecified) or a few hours later in F. When I pointed out I was connecting to SFO, she looked for a direct flight, and found E- middle an hour later or E+ middle 3 hours later, upping the compensation. I accepted the first -- $500 plus direct with earlier arrival was worth the pain (which of course now included gate-checking bag--funny how we parse the minutiae) When I got to new gate the GA found the E+ middle--an otherwise full flight, so pure luck. As data point, I'm UA Gold (now Plat after the last flight). All in all painless, and from my perspective, generous.

Last edited by mehitabel; Jul 28, 2018 at 11:54 am
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:28 pm

Checked in for 341 ewr iah today (7/31). Got the volunteer prompt and amount. Given it was hub to hub I only put down 350, maybe lowballing myself, but I'm not holding my breath to even be selected.

However afterward the app said there was a delay in my flight and I could change for free ( I'm silver). But the flight status shows no such delay.

Is this normal behavior for United? Seems like they've trying to get some people to change for minimal cost.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Hopefully my flight to MSY is in the same boat. That would pay for my trip to Madrid.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
9:15 AM departure, EWR to LAX, last friday. needed two. offer started at $1000. i boarded and did not stick around to see what happened.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:11 pm

Programs: Ex-UA Silver | Global Entry | Ex-HH Gold
Flight likely for overbooking?

Booked UA421 and UA1885 on the 21st and 22nd this month between SFO and EWR the equipment is a 752 and its the version 1. First is about half full and coming back to SFO its about the same. Overbooking chances? Have important meetings early in the morning in NYC. But coming home I am flexible.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Way too early to say.
jjmoore and zeer0 like this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 12:01 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gregoryad
Flight likely for overbooking?
Inventory management has got such that predicting overbooking flights is mostly pure luck. Overbooking still happens but it is at least an order of magnitude less than a couple years ago. And with last minute change of plans, irrops, ... overbooked can quickly change to clearing the standby list

With 13-14 daily flights each direction. UA will use fare pricing to spread the demand
jsloan and jjmoore like this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 3:37 am

Programs: AA Plat
4AUG18 PWM-EWR and PWM-IAD first flights. Both over with opening offer of $1000. Didn’t see how many volunteered / took because I was lazy and sitting next to cute boy.

$1000 really is the new $250 LOL

Update: Based on app they took standbys so no one was needed.
jjmoore likes this.

Last edited by sexykitten7; Aug 6, 2018 at 8:47 am Reason: Added update
Old Aug 5, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
4AUG18 UA1614 LAX-IAH. 1:10 am departure.

Waiting in the BG1 line and happened to be right next to the 2 GA's working the desk so I could hear them talking in hushed voices. Turned out they were in an oversold situation and needed 4-5 volunteers for the flight. The initial offer started @ $500 and only 1 person came up to the podium. I heard them decide to bump the offer to $1000 and quickly ducked under the rope and got in line before they even announced it over the PA. GA laughed and said "you heard me, didn't you"
They ended up VDB'ing a total of 4 pax and the offer did not get higher than $1000. All 4 of us cleared standby on the next flight out @ 5:45 am.

P.S. I love SDC'ing into a VDB
Old Aug 5, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
P.S. I love SDC'ing into a VDB
You should do it more often so you can fly on UA for free to achieve high status.
jjmoore likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
$1000 really is the new $250 LOL
if this is the case, I will be very happy.... and will once again never spend personal funds again on travel as long as I run into one of these every quarter or so.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 5:45 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Had my first VDB on United. I was flying EWR > LAX on a last minute ticket I got in XN. The flight had an equipment change and a diverted flight parked at its gate, which was the perfect storm for a VDB. Starting offer was $2000 ETC ++. As soon as they began rattling off their speech, I was the second volunteer. Suffice it to say I was generously rewarded. $2000 ETC, hotel, transportation, and meals. I had been re-routed to DEN, and they had to bump someone off that flight to accommodate me. That person got $600. I made it to LAX this morning, which is when I needed to be there by. I was also able to get out of one night pre-paid accommodation, so I'm really killing this. I decided to buy a lotto ticket.

P.S. I'm also getting points for the VDB hotel (a Doubletree) and miles for the DEN > LAX ticket because they re-booked me in Y (Yes, Y).
Flying Machine and haroon145 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.