Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Northeast Weather (January 4, 2018 - January 5, 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Now a Northeast Travel Waiver up as well!
  • Travel agent information:Travel agents may make voluntary changes or may voluntarily self-refund (where allowed) by entering waiver code 7JCUU in the OSI field (ARC reporting agencies) or ticket designator box (BSP reporting agencies).​
  • ​​Refunds:
    Travel agents may self-refund tickets under the following conditions:
    • Original flight is canceled
    • Original flight is delayed and is estimated to arrive at the final destination more than 2 hours after originally scheduled arrival time
    ​​​
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: FB Gold
The news media needs to stop hyping up this storm, it's making me unnecessarily edgy and worried about my Friday flight to EWR with an unlinked int'l connection.....
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mlin32
The news media needs to stop hyping up this storm, it's making me unnecessarily edgy and worried about my Friday flight to EWR with an unlinked int'l connection.....
They were actually pretty restraint from what i've seen (minus CNN). They still don't know what exactly is going to happen either -- the models are having a difficult time even this close to the storm. NOAA is dropping dropsondes (you normally hear about these in hurricanes) for better model analysis for the 4 PM Eastern model runs. Hopefully we should know much more by 5 PM.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Delays will be predicated as much by the wind as snow. Strong wind substantially reduces runway capacity (cross-wind runways can't be used). While snow accumulations are still being estimated, the wind is a near certainty through Friday.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA PPro, DL Gold, UA Silver, AS MVP Gold
Forgive me if this has been answered...
A friend has a confirmed GPU upgrade seat, on a ZHR-EWR flight during the travel waiver. Does UA protect the upgraded seat with other *A partners, (Swiss for example) if she were to proactively make a change during the waiver?

Thanks in advanced

Last edited by FobbyFlyer; Jan 3, 2018 at 2:20 pm Reason: clarification
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FobbyFlyer
....A friend has a confirmed GPU upgrade seat, on a ZHR-EWR flight during the travel waiver. Does UA protect the upgraded seat with other *A partners......
I don't think UA even protect confirmed GPU for its own flights, let alone partners. New flight will be based on your paid class and you need to apply GPU, and hope it clears, again. Furthermore, I don't think LX even accept UA GPU. Only LH does even though LH owns LX.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by FobbyFlyer
Forgive me if this has been answered...
A friend has a confirmed GPU upgrade seat, on a ZHR-EWR flight during the travel waiver. Does UA protect the upgraded seat with other *A partners, (Swiss for example) if she were to proactively make a change during the waiver?

Thanks in advanced
No. If changed via the waiver, it will rebook into the original class of service. Confirmed upgrades are rebooked in the upgraded cabin (positive space) in the case of actual IRROPS, but only on own metal.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA PPro, DL Gold, UA Silver, AS MVP Gold
Thx for the quick replies guys!
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wxguy
Delays will be predicated as much by the wind as snow. Strong wind substantially reduces runway capacity (cross-wind runways can't be used). While snow accumulations are still being estimated, the wind is a near certainty through Friday.
And it appears they started proactively cancelling earlier today. My EWR-CLT tomorrow cancelled a few hours ago, and a quick glance shows almost everything to BOS + LGA cancelled, and all non-mainline at EWR cancelled.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Gold
I have an IAD BTV RT Jan 5-7. Does the waiver allow me to change both legs or only the First?

thx
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by saltydog75
I have an IAD BTV RT Jan 5-7. Does the waiver allow me to change both legs or only the First?

thx
it shouldn't be a problem, even if booked as one-ways. if an agent is unwilling, HUACA.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mlin32
Media aside, I would worry about UA and their proactive cancellations. Tomorrow UA has 21% of their WW flights proactively cancelled ... Delta 4%. It is not unusual for UA to cancel up/down the East coast many days after storms, even minor ones. UA might allow you to re-route and combine tickets; I would seriously consider right now calling and seeing if you can resolve the Friday thing now while they may still have some seats available via other routings.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
Media aside, I would worry about UA and their proactive cancellations. Tomorrow UA has 21% of their WW flights proactively cancelled ... Delta 4%. It is not unusual for UA to cancel up/down the East coast many days after storms, even minor ones. UA might allow you to re-route and combine tickets; I would seriously consider right now calling and seeing if you can resolve the Friday thing now while they may still have some seats available via other routings.

The cancellations are great for VDBs. Flying SYR-EWR on the 5th, because every SYR-EWR was cancelled tomorrow, our wide open flight just filled up.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA, Hilton HHonors
I have a family of 5 traveling SAN-ORD-MIA tonight and the ORD-MIA has been canceled due to weather (assuming this storm). Any tips on rerouting?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA MM
The only real "hyping" here is perhaps the news media's current obsession with "bombogenesis" (a term which as been around weather circles for some decades). It's been pretty clear for a few days that this is going to be a major weather event for metro Boston (and the coast north of here up into Maine). The trend in the model runs has been a gradual westerly motion of the track, and this has continued through this afternoon. Further west means less of the action is out at sea, with more on land. Metro Boston is expecting up to 18 inches of snow (most forecasts have at least 10 as a minimum) and winds in the 35 mph+ range. Boston proper is under a blizzard warning. And Logan is east (closer to the storm) than metro Boston. I'd be rather surprised if we done get some closings at Logan tomorrow. With snow falling a couple inches per hour under those winds, keeping the runways operative is going to be rather a challenge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.