Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Sigh - How much is the W Upgrade Lottery worth?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sigh - How much is the W Upgrade Lottery worth?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by nomad420
LOL.... OK, is there a link to the script he created for Chrome? Thanks in advance, just sounds pretty helpful .
Check out the first post on this thread:

Post 3-Mar-2012:How to find upgrade inventory [+how to see fare bucket availability]

Or this thread, might be better:
Browser extensions/scripts for United.com
Old Jan 10, 2018, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nomad420
What is sbm12?
Me!

Link to the latest version is here: https://blog.wandr.me/2015/08/united...-new-features/.

I believe v7.4.0 is the most current.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
Me!

Link to the latest version is here: https://blog.wandr.me/2015/08/united...-new-features/.

Thanks, sorry I mistook you for another crazy FT abbreviation. ;-)
Old Jan 10, 2018, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by sbm12
Me!

sbm12:

Thanks! Is there a way to get the script to re-run after having either displayed all flights or re-sorting the list of flights?

David
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: United
GPU SFO to London on United

Hello,

Just got 1k and I want to apply my GPUs to a specific flight to London from SFO. The lowest fare is "K" and United said I cant apply my GPU for a flight from SFO to LHR. It will be at least another 500 bucks to upgrade to "W" to be considered which I rather not do. There are plenty of first class seats available. Does anyone have insights/hacks on what to do? II need to book this flight in the next 2-3 weeks and there is only one suitable option for me to take because of work. thanks!
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, uconnfan2019!

This is what is known as the "GPU lottery". You have to decide if it's worth playing.
uconnfan2019 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
What date and flight?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:18 pm

If you want to use the GPU on the flight, you will have to buy a W fare or higher. There isn’t a way around that.
Is the upgrade confirmable at booking, or would you be waitlisted? That’s another factor to consider. The other options are to buy the business fare outright or upgrade using miles and a co-pay. To Europe it’s 20,000 miles plus a $550 co-pay (though the latter can be less with higher fare classes). However, if waitlisted, you will get your money or miles if your upgrade doesn’t clear. If your GPU upgrade is waitlisted, you will get your GPU back if it doesn’t clear, but UA will keep the money you spent to buy the W fare.
Artpen100 and uconnfan2019 like this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: United
Hi! 12/7 SFO to LHR at 3:10 PM flight UA 901 and the return is 12/12 LHR to LAX at 1:45 PM flight UA 935
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by uconnfan2019
.... Just got 1k and I want to apply my GPUs to a specific flight to London from SFO. The lowest fare is "K" and United said I cant apply my GPU for a flight from SFO to LHR. It will be at least another 500 bucks to upgrade to "W" to be considered which I rather not do. There are plenty of first class seats available. Does anyone have insights/hacks on what to do? ....
There is no way around the "W" fare requirement and if the upgrade does not clear, there is no refund of the extra costs.

Many will not play the "GPU lottery" but if you do -- try to pick a flight with the fewest elites -- such as mid-week. See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ht-2018-a.html for more strategies.

Miles plus copay is another option, good for any fare and the miles/copay are refunded if the refund fails. The copy is not much more than the "W" fare difference. But the copay may need to come out of your pocket.
uconnfan2019 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You would definitely be rolling the dice. The SFO departure is booked 13/48 (Z4 P0). The LHR departure is booked 19/48 (P7). Friday is an especially difficult upgrade. LAX is generally easier, and Wednesday is also usually better, but 19/48 is not great.

Do you feel lucky? I probably wouldn't do it unless I needed the PQD.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Apart from 2014 when Smisek & Co. were selling TODs to kettles and pulling the rug from underneath the GPU waitlist I’ve had 100% success on GPUs to LHR (from anywhere).

That said for my most recent flights, plus my upcoming Christmas trip to see family, I’ve been buying P fares. $2500 RT for PDX-SFO-LHR (744 upper deck) in May 2017 and $2009 this May for the same route (77W Polaris). For Christmas I got $3300 for SFO outbound (772 with seat now 1K) and return via ORD (2 Class 763 which I’m hoping gets switched to Polaris).

At 19/48 I’d say your chances are good, though you may have to wait close in for it to clear including at check in, and if it’s a 772 expect to be assigned one of the middle two in the 2-4-2, which isn’t necessarily a disaster. I’ve had very pleasant flights there and it beats the cramped window seats.

Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:17 pm

GPU - worth it to pay up for upgrade eligible fare?

Hi all, I'm 1K, based in NYC and trying to decide if there is any point in paying 70% more for a W class ticket (vs the lowest non basic economy ticket) to be eligible for a potential GPU upgrade. I'm looking to travel EWR-EDI Friday 7/26/2019 and return on LHR-EWR Monday 8/5/2019. Neither leg has PZ availability and neither offers premium economy.

From the thread of GPU success stories, it seems many folks got upgraded immediately after booking, even when booking well in advance of the travel date. I've been looking at PZ availability for some other upcoming trips, and I don't see any inventory for flights originating from NYC.

Thanks.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Save the the money and loss of gpu. That edi flight is soo short. London is a bit better but then you also pay more apd.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 12:11 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by missko
Hi all, I'm 1K, based in NYC and trying to decide if there is any point in paying 70% more for a W class ticket (vs the lowest non basic economy ticket) to be eligible for a potential GPU upgrade. I'm looking to travel EWR-EDI Friday 7/26/2019 and return on LHR-EWR Monday 8/5/2019. Neither leg has PZ availability and neither offers premium economy.
Is this some incredible deal that you just can't pass up? I wouldn't purchase an economy ticket this far in advance unless it was an incredible deal.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.