Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Sigh - How much is the W Upgrade Lottery worth?

Sigh - How much is the W Upgrade Lottery worth?

Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Amex Plat, CSR
What is the general experience/advice about utilizing GPUs on a DEN-LAX-SYD itinerary? Worth investing in the fare difference in the hopes of getting the GPU cleared, or is it just a pipe dream and I should rather invest the money in a nice hotel etc?
Originally Posted by jsloan
UA hasn't introduced BE on TPAC (yet).
Thanks. So this G-fare is obviously not upgradable via GPU, the fare difference to W-fare is roughly $1,100 per person ($1,600 vs. $500). With PZ-inventory zeroed out for all 4 segments of the itinerary.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 6, 2019 at 8:19 pm Reason: moved to exisiting thread
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whipwhitaker
Thanks. So this G-fare is obviously not upgradable via GPU, the fare difference to W-fare is roughly $1,100 per person ($1,600 vs. $500). With PZ-inventory zeroed out for all 4 segments of the itinerary.
You need to search each leg individually to get the correct PZ numbers.

I'd never pay an $1100 surcharge to waitlist a GPU, personally. In that situation, I'd use a mileage + copay award at $600 + 30K miles each way. It's an extra $100 per person, but the copay is refundable if the upgrade doesn't clear, whereas the fare difference isn't.

The downside is the the copay won't count toward PQD.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Is the TPAC on a Tuesday? Generally speaking playing the GPU lottery is a sucker's game though.

Consider also a miles+cash upgrade, as the copay is only slightly more than the W premium ($1,200) and is refunded if you don't clear.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Is the TPAC on a Tuesday? Generally speaking playing the GPU lottery is a sucker's game though.

Consider also a miles+cash upgrade, as the copay is only slightly more than the W premium ($1,200) and is refunded if you don't clear.
+1
The couple of times I tried it (now over a year ago) the upgrades didn't clear. Complete was of money! I posted my experiences and I think most the replies were like "better chances in Vegas". I now do just as you posted.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
How much would I pay? Not even a dime.

I refuse to roll the dice on a lie-flat seat for a TATL or TPAC. Either I pay cash, find a saver award or don't fly. As a result most of my GPUs are used like RPUs on flights to Mexico or transcons purchased at the lowest available fare bucket (except BE).

Originally Posted by findark
Generally speaking playing the GPU lottery is a sucker's game though.
+1
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:50 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
UA Agent: 'Trying to use a GPU is like playing Russian Roulette'

Had to laugh at this one. Was on the phone with a UA agent recently to ticket a W fare and apply a GPU, and he says 'Are you sure you want to do that? Trying to use a GPU is like playing Russian Roulette'

I'll avoid mentioning the specific flight because I don't want to get anybody in trouble, but had to laugh. In the end he was right -- I bought the W fare and then didn't clear.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Ha - yeah one area where being EXP on AA is better - no fare class restriction with their SWUs. The only times I've bought W or higher without having R/PZ space confirmable at booking were a few trips for work where the lowest avail was >= W. But not throwing shade, I admit it takes a fair amount of flexibility in dates and routing to find confirmable upgrade seats.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by dordal
Had to laugh at this one. Was on the phone with a UA agent recently to ticket a W fare and apply a GPU, and he says 'Are you sure you want to do that? Trying to use a GPU is like playing Russian Roulette'

I'll avoid mentioning the specific flight because I don't want to get anybody in trouble, but had to laugh. In the end he was right -- I bought the W fare and then didn't clear.
Unfortunately I don't even find this funny anymore also having been burned by this over the years. I of course no longer play that "suckers game". It is pathetic that UA still does this. I just don't get it, there should be a better way.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
@nomad420
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:54 pm

Yeah, the only winner move is not to play! LOL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.