Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Would you complain about this treatment in J or just suck it up?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you complain about this treatment in J or just suck it up?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Next time just switch when you board. If/when the FA asks just tell them you swapped with yur spouse. That avoids all of the angst and unpleasantness you experienced.
Yeah, when the spouse and I are in different cabins on the same trip, my butt never even gets to touch that J Seat. Its always hers and I'll happily make her happy with the better seat.

Remember - Happy Wife, Happy Life!
Xyzzy, happytobeme and Hipplewm like this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by seenitall
  • Third, be parsimonious with your requests. While there should be no issue with the gel pillow or bedding request, I think the ask for the Exec meal 4 hours into the flight is a bit much. Typically, these are served early in the flight for pax who want to sleep. This request, coupled with the bedding request was possibly interpreted as "get the bedding early so I can take it to the seat in E+ when I move back there, and delay the meal so I can eat the nuts and have a drink before my spouse comes up to J and has a full meal." Note, all of these possible friction points are eliminated if spouse simply sits in the J seat from the get-go.
It is too bad that UA is so inconsistent with the dine-when-you-want service.

I'm pretty sure they quietly introduced "dine when you want" with the Polaris soft product changes, but many FAs are inconsistent about offering or following through with the service.

If UA isn't going to offer the product consistently they shouldn't advertise it.
USHPNWDLUA likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by seenitall
My take:
  • First, don't talk in advance with the FA's about your seat switch -- just do it. If the J FA then asks your spouse why the name on the manifest is John when she is a Jane, spouse should simply answer that hubby is back in her seat in E+ because he is a nice guy (or because his back doesn't hurt and mine does). Spouse should then shut up and presume she is entitled to all features of J. At this point, it is unlikely that FA will say anything further, and that will be the end of the matter.

So much this, just do it.
nnn likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I suspect that if you write in, all you will get is a cut & paste stating that they're so sorry that you were upset, but that UA's safety & security policy is that passengers must fly in their ticketed cabin.

The workaround here is not to discuss this in advance. Just have your wife take your J seat and you take her Y seat. Doesn't even need to be a reason other than chivalry or self-preservation. On the off-chance that a FA questions it, just explain it. On the truly remote chance that the FA demands that you each occupy your ticketed cabin, just apologize and return to your original seat.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Write to United Customer Service and complain. It'll be satisfying to you and most probably, you'll get some kind of apology from them. You'll probably also get miles or vouchers as a token of their remorse.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
You should send a shorter version regarding the very negative attitude of the male FA. I would not get into the seat switch, but they need to know about such poor service.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
I had to avoid the temptation to say "it's United, what do you expect?"

Maybe I've become incredibly picky and high-maintenance, but I expect politeness and professionalism from FA's when I'm flying, even in economy - let alone in business class. I would absolutely complain about the lack of professionalism and poor training of the FA's.
embarcadero1 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:21 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Yes, just to echo the others above who say to swap (beforehand) seats without asking and without informing.

On UA, where interactions on average provide an opportunity for things to go wrong rather than right, and frankly on average, an FT forum member here is more polite and courteous than the FA -- minimizing your contact with the crew is to your advantage. No dig against those FAs who are truly good, but I suggest letting and observing others interact with them before putting yourself to trouble. If it were some other carrier where politeness is more part of the experience, I would ask to your delight.

Complain away to UA, but expect very little actual change.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by DrRodneyMcKay
I had to avoid the temptation to say "it's United, what do you expect?" ....
I've lost count of the flights where my experience was roughly like the OP described, or considerably worse. Bottom line: don't fly United unless you have to. Until the oligopoly is broken (and the FA union monopoly) this is the service you can expect.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Every single F/A makes up their own rules, and has specific mores, depending upon how they feel that day, and who they think that they can impress, while exerting their authority.

I totally agree with the posters above. Just get on the plane and sit down where you want, and had previously discussed with your spouse. The last names are right so let it slide. Once you got turned down for a pillow and a mattress pad, and tried to play "cuts" in the aisle during drink service, everything from that point on was down hill, including the special meal service.

Once I get the drift of the moods, and a few negative push backs, I'm done talkin' and askin' for anything. I don't need to be pi$$ed for the duration, and depending on how upset I still am, after a week or so, I may write in. But, I usually cool off, and just let it go. They're gonna lie, and say that ya'all were up and down all the time, and very demanding, which at times became a safety issue.

They let you switch, which I don't know if they had to let you guys do, but I've seen them get pretty perturbed when the curtains are continually opening & closing, for others that do the switch!

Sometimes folks expect too much in the forward cabins, and I've have plenty of aged, lazy F/A's in my day, also!!!
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Two Bee
Every single F/A makes up their own rules, and has specific mores, depending upon how they feel that day, and who they think that they can impress, while exerting their authority.

I totally agree with the posters above. Just get on the plane and sit down where you want, and had previously discussed with your spouse. The last names are right so let it slide. Once you got turned down for a pillow and a mattress pad, and tried to play "cuts" in the aisle during drink service, everything from that point on was down hill, including the special meal service.

Once I get the drift of the moods, and a few negative push backs, I'm done talkin' and askin' for anything. I don't need to be pi$$ed for the duration, and depending on how upset I still am, after a week or so, I may write in. But, I usually cool off, and just let it go. They're gonna lie, and say that ya'all were up and down all the time, and very demanding, which at times became a safety issue.

They let you switch, which I don't know if they had to let you guys do, but I've seen them get pretty perturbed when the curtains are continually opening & closing, for others that do the switch!

Sometimes folks expect too much in the forward cabins, and I've have plenty of aged, lazy F/A's in my day, also!!!
What does this have to do with the age of the FA? I don't think the OP commented on that.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 3:17 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
oh god your spouse had a back injury and you only gave her the seat up front for only half the flight?

anyways write in over the rude fa and the slothy crew member in the seat beside. maybe you'll get an etc. but tbh op seems like a pain in the neck (trying to get around fas during their service, doing the mid flight swap, referring to people (s)he doesn't like as 'buddy', etc.)
Old Jan 2, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by DrRodneyMcKay
I had to avoid the temptation to say "it's United, what do you expect?"

Maybe I've become incredibly picky and high-maintenance, but I expect politeness and professionalism from FA's when I'm flying, even in economy - let alone in business class. I would absolutely complain about the lack of professionalism and poor training of the FA's.
but that comment would have been so very true...this is another one of the many reasons I left UA after 34 years as a top elite, four years ago and have never looked back!
Old Jan 2, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
OP, You got a snotty FA right off to bat. The FAs always back each no matter how unreasonable their co-worker's behavior might be so, at that point, you were in a no-win situation.

I recently had a FA loudly chastise me for leaving my bedding and pillow on the shelf above the bulkhead seats when I went to the lav. She said something like, "This is not a storage area and safety regulations require that nothing be placed on that surface". I apologized (even though I see FAs storing heavy things like bottles up there all the time), yet she continued to lecture me for another 30 seconds or so. When she left, my seat mate, a VFF like myself, rolled his eyes and said, "What was that about?" They came back to serve us drinks and insisted that we open our tray tables because she said we couldn't leave our drinks on the center console or slide-out for "safety reasons". My seat mate looked shocked, and I was speechless. I sensed a confrontation coming and made the decision to no longer communicate with her for anything and just ignored her the rest of the flight. She was upset that I refused any service on a 12 hour flight, but she had really angered me, and I didn't want to lose my cool by talking to her. (Data Point: She was an old, IAH-based FA with lots of seniority.)

I complained to UA and clearly stated that I didn't want any compensation, but that what this FA did was unacceptable, and that she had effectively ruined my flight. I got a personally signed apology letter from the VP of CS who said that they would investigate the matter and take appropriate action.

You should definitely write-in to complain.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 6, 2021 at 10:05 pm Reason: FT 12,2
Old Jan 2, 2018, 5:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Now I remember why, despite *A being a far superior alliance, I refuse to fly United. Something is wrong with their culture over there to have consistently so many varied negative customer service issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.