Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Domestic First Meal Service Reduction

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Domestic First Meal Service Reduction

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by elbejt2
I can appreciate this perspective. It's amazing that AA lets me chose my meal ahead of flying and UAL wants to get unreasonably chintzy.
The grass is not necessarily greener. At AA sometimes it's more like which mediocre (at best) meal do you want to preorder. And domestic F on AA is also trending towards becoming a "big seat".
Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
So anything scheduled under 3 hours is now a snack regardless of time of day?
as posted

Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Read this to mean: Meals from 4 to 8. Snacks at all other times.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by onthesam
Read this to mean: Meals from 4 to 8. Snacks at all other times.
8:01 pm to 4:59 am:

Read: Premium Snacks. Actual: Snack Basket.

Read: Fresh Fruit. Actual: Unripe Bananas.

David
greg99, rittenhousesq and onthesam like this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by DELee
8:01 pm to 4:59 am:

Read: Premium Snacks. Actual: Snack Basket.

Read: Fresh Fruit. Actual: Unripe Bananas.

David
We need some historical perspective here.
We need to remember what UA and CO before that served on redeyes from LAX to the East. It was that awful cheese and meat plate. Remember it had some crummy pepper jack and cheddar cheese with some nasty sliced sausage meat. The only saving grace was the grapes and piece of chocolate.
It was so truly awful that as a regular user of the redeye, I would eat something light at the airport and after boarding, put in my ear plugs and put on my eye shades and go to sleep. I told the FAs that they could eat my meal (which they never did!).

So I am not certain that UA has broken with it's past. And think of this. At least green bananas will ripen
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by bocastephen
What about 5AM to 4PM? No more breakfast or lunch service of any kind under 3hrs?
Correct. Snack only.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:07 pm

Flying IAH-RDU about 10.30am. 2hr 35min What i see here says it should be a meal. But if not, can I order my Pringles from the back? Somewhere in here I recall an FA saying no, but it was a while ago. Really a snack and a scotch would be ok, but lunch would be nice. How nice is that snack basket anyway? Sad I am talking about this in F. It's a short flight so i don't expect much.

Edit: I see a partial answer right above me, no meal. I will be bringing some CLIF bars if security doesn't grab them.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Is EWR-ATL no longer an exception market? Haven't flown it in a while, but will be back soon, and don't see it listed as such.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
I never hold out for a meal on an UA flight anymore (unless it is p.s. J or int'l J)... period. The only two things on the menu I would even touch are the pretzel rolls on UA mainline flights and the chocolate chip cookies on the UAx meal flights. Otherwise, I would rather eat before and stick to a Stella on the plane.

FWIW ... the snack boxes in Y are better than the snack meals (cold plates) served on mainline. I see quite a few people ordering those in place of cold plates.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by radonc1
We need to remember what UA and CO before that served on redeyes from LAX to the East. It was that awful cheese and meat plate. Remember it had some crummy pepper jack and cheddar cheese with some nasty sliced sausage meat. The only saving grace was the grapes and piece of chocolate.
It was so truly awful that as a regular user of the redeye, I would eat something light at the airport and after boarding, put in my ear plugs and put on my eye shades and go to sleep. I told the FAs that they could eat my meal (which they never did!).

So I am not certain that UA has broken with it's past. And think of this. At least green bananas will ripen
Maybe I'm crazy but I liked those cheese and cold cut plates on the LAX redeyes!
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by radonc1

I remember that! It was nasty; and wasn't there some kind of artichoke (or something similar) included on the plate? I didn't dare touch it.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by Austin787
The grass is not necessarily greener. At AA sometimes it's more like which mediocre (at best) meal do you want to preorder. And domestic F on AA is also trending towards becoming a "big seat".
I agree. Certainly, others will have the same impression with UA, but at AA it's definitely still a tale of two airlines.

Although, I've only just very recently gone over the hump to requalify for Gold next year (smaller sample size), I've found the meals on UA to be decent. The jambalaya is pretty good, as is paella, and I do enjoy the Asian salad. I tend to take evening flights though and ORD and IAH still get full meal service at those times.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:23 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by samjnz
I wish there were better options out of SFO, but I'm often stuck on UA and they know it.

This was the meal I was served the other day ATL->SFO -- a sad looking burger with nothing on it. I feel the $8 economy buy-on-board would have been much better (which makes me feel like a fool for buying in the First cabin to begin with).
for a plane burger, that actually looks pretty good. but no lettuce and tomato? and yes the economy burger is also very good and comes with all the fixins on the side very professionally packaged and fresh.

so ya i feel bed you paid for that
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cur
for a plane burger, that actually looks pretty good. but no lettuce and tomato? and yes the economy burger is also very good and comes with all the fixins on the side very professionally packaged and fresh.

so ya i feel bed you paid for that
Now I understand what my problem was. On one flight I was in Economy+ and had a very good burger. One month later, I was in First Class and had the burger with nothing. I asked the FA where was the rest (lettuce and tomato). He was quite curt in answering that nothing was provided. I guess he must be tired of passengers asking about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.