Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Domestic First Meal Service Reduction

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Domestic First Meal Service Reduction

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wxguy
UA used to serve a full, hot dinner on IAD-BOS pm flights in F, on the DC-10..
To be fair, is half the US population even alive today that could've flown a UA DC-10?
Old May 18, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
To be fair, is half the US population even alive today that could've flown a UA DC-10?
Yes, median age of Americans is 37.7 and UA retired the DC-10 in 2002 or 16 years ago
Old May 18, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by BeanTownBoy

Data point: 17 May UA 1578 IAH to BOS (5:35 pm departure)--good effort in F (Beef Provencale)
Maybe it's the angle, but the portion size looks tiny.
Old May 18, 2018, 9:08 am

United.com has been updated to reflect the restored meal service.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...st/dining.aspx
Old May 18, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by SS255
Maybe it's the angle, but the portion size looks tiny.
It's also a flight that was unaffected IME by the May 1st changes...
Old May 18, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
PHL-DEN 3:55pm departure. Meal listed as "Lunch" but the cheese plate made yet another appearance.
Old May 18, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
I am thankful for this thread. Although based in SF for half the year, I have done backflips for years to avoid UA. Every time I tried UA I found service to be surly, food poor. So for domestic flights it's been AA and international LX. AA may have its faults but at least it tries to provide decent service and frankly they are on the upswing now (my recent flights on AA have been excellent). LX consistently wonderful. Seeing this thread only confirms what I observe at SFO. UA seems to have forgotten how to treat passengers well. I am not sure that they even have a dim conception of quality.
Old May 18, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
My letter to GS and their response - nothing about rolling back to pre May 1.

May 12 2018
Hello United,

I trust this finds you well and after reflecting on the recent changes, had these thoughts:
Good:
1) The Old Fashioned, while a bit sweet is a nice addition to the drinks menu as is the two new craft beers.
2) Flight attendants on my recent flights were great, both to EWR and home from LGA.

Bad:
1) What is going on with DEN catering? Is there still a food issue or did "canned" pineapple tidbits, akin to what I put in my kids school lunch replace the nice fruit bowl that were on flights prior to the Listeria outbreak. Please let me know if that is fixed/expected completion date.
2) New catering changes - Under 4 hours is all mainline from DEN in the lower 48, certainly flights to east coast should not just get a snack, I guess I will wait and see on future flights, on the surface, looks like the ghost of Bob Crandall (Scott Kirby) lives on - we know how well that worked out for AA. The initial reports look really disappointing. Maybe you should poll a select group of 200 GS and 1K flyers and ask about these changes and the flight attendants too before rolling out these changes.
3) No cognac - After conducting a brief unscientific poll, I located many cognac drinkers, but nobody who consumes Amaretto, please strongly consider swapping the two out keeping in line the number of SKU's in the cart

Thanks for listening and in the end if the flying experience becomes more and more painful outside of the F cabin, people may just choose not to travel by plane - who knows.
Kind regards,

GS response:
May 14
Dear Mr. Martus:
Thank you for your email to Global Services, we are always happy to hear from our most valued passengers.
Glad to hear that you are pleased with the new drinks added to our service and the flight crew on your recent flights were great.
I’m sorry to read about your concerns with the catering services.
We’re working hard to return our Denver flights to normal catering operations as soon as possible. In the very near future, we’ll be returning fresh fruit to our menu, followed by other fresh produce and the remainder of the menu. Until that time, though, based on issues at our Denver catering location, our Denver-departing flights will continue to have alternative food options.
Your valid feedback in regards to our food planning will be shared with our upper management team to ensure they understand what our best customers are feeling so we are able to drive future improvements.

Thank you for your business and for being a valued Global Services customer.
Sincerely,
Global Services Customer Care
Old May 18, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
United.com has been updated to reflect the restored meal service.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...st/dining.aspx
Per the site the 2 hrs. 20 min. to 3 hrs. 59 min. band still shows reduced service

Meal service details 5 a.m. to 3:59 p.m.
Meal service which includes fresh fruit and breakfast bread on morning flights or a chilled plate with chocolate on afternoon flights

Or is this the restoration?
Old May 18, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by boat9781
Per the site the 2 hrs. 20 min. to 3 hrs. 59 min. band still shows reduced service

Meal service which includes fresh fruit and breakfast bread on morning flights or a chilled plate with chocolate on afternoon flights

It depends what's on the chilled plate. It it's just a piece of chocolate, then there's been a definite reduction.
Old May 18, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by limey1K
PHL-DEN 3:55pm departure. Meal listed as "Lunch" but the cheese plate made yet another appearance.
Ugh - cheese plate. Sorry to hear that. Was it United Express or Mainline
Old May 18, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by boat9781

yeah I don’t see how this is updated. This still shows no real breakfast or lunch on flights under 4 hours.
LASUA1K likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Just read an article in USA Today in the travel section under Flights on the subject. The actual restoration according to the article starts on 1 June. We shall see.
Old May 18, 2018, 10:52 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

What's the difference between "Light Snack" and "Refreshments"?

There was no difference between the two on my last two flights which departed at the same time.

Called GS and between three agents they couldn't tell me. Perhaps someone here knows.
Old May 18, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by villox

yeah I don’t see how this is updated. This still shows no real breakfast or lunch on flights under 4 hours.
There appears to be some improvement between 4 and 8 pm only. You don't have to fly tcon to get a hot dinner, which was all that was left in the initial round of cuts.

So breakfast and lunch remain decimated, and they threw us a bone on mid-cons over dinner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.