Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Domestic First Meal Service Reduction

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Domestic First Meal Service Reduction

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2018, 7:37 pm

There is something more disappointing- being served a dry plain burger on a premium transcon flight.

This is what Delta gave me for lunch on an SFO-JFK 2:30pm departure. Just last month would have been an international grade starter, salad. Then separate main course.

Never thought the downgraded AA meals since 2015 would turn out to be the best in the sky. Because UA and DL have cut so much in the last year, not because AA got better.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
https://m.imgur.com/a/9Z4GyFU

Originally Posted by samjnz
I wish there were better options out of SFO, but I'm often stuck on UA and they know it.

This was the meal I was served the other day ATL->SFO -- a sad looking burger with nothing on it. I feel the $8 economy buy-on-board would have been much better (which makes me feel like a fool for buying in the First cabin to begin with).

Old May 12, 2018, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by samjnz
I wish there were better options out of SFO, but I'm often stuck on UA and they know it.

This was the meal I was served the other day ATL->SFO -- a sad looking burger with nothing on it. I feel the $8 economy buy-on-board would have been much better (which makes me feel like a fool for buying in the First cabin to begin with).
Someone definitely forgot to include the toppings plate - that part is a mis-cater.
Old May 12, 2018, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by findark
Someone definitely forgot to include the toppings plate - that part is a mis-cater.
Probably. Though I do love the burger on a bun, served with a 2nd roll...
Old May 12, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by Benj K
I sent in a complaint about the F meal changes today. I didn't ask for a response as I doubt I'd receive anything of substance anyway. I do think that the only things UA cares about are post-flight surveys and loss in revenue. I've never gotten satisfactory reply from a complaint sent, but I have received unsolicited compensation from a poor survey. I've got three booked trips with UA this year (two are paid international F) and won't be booking anymore absent a compelling reason to. I've already booked three new trips, 2 on DL and 1 on AA. While this cut in meals isn't the sole driving factor, it certainly helped push me there.
I think UA is better about sending these post flight surveys out than AA. Each of my flights this year with UA, I've received a post-flight survey. I'm not sure if that's because they were paid F that a survey was received, but I don't receive them with any regularity from AA. And I have used them to express displeasure with some of the meals (although I do think the asian salad is pretty good).

Like you, for my next round of 4 ORD r/ts over the next two weeks (paid F), I booked with AA. Of course meal service wasn't the only factor, but it is a factor. AA's meal preselection option helps too in a sort of "the devil you know..." way.
Old May 12, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Chapter 3.

“Fly to Win, or You Can Make A Pizza So Cheap Nobody Wants To Eat It.”

It’s as if UA is trying its best to do the opposite of everything in From Worst to First!
Old May 12, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Just had memo circulated in my agency - United domestic F is blocked for bookings unless it is the lowest fare, or the customer requests it specifically. We are now sending out disclosure notices with UA tickets informing customers of significant service degradations and onboard meal service of any kind in first class is not guaranteed. Domestic business is being steered to Delta, American or Alaska.
While a good portion of my flying is personal paid F and the company I work for being rather small, I did the same thing. Sent out a directive saying I will not approve any paid domestic F on United unless they can provide screen shots to show lowest price option compared to American. This won't impact United much, if any at all, but it just pisses me off they continue to make these short term decisions because they believe they can do it with their network and that folks will continue to fly them up front. I'd happily agree with United if they could prove that having the best network (which personally I believe they do) actually gets them the revenue premium over other carriers...however it doesn't, which I don't get how they can't figure that out. My colleagues at United continue to think it's true and I just shake my head.
Old May 12, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
The descriptions in here of UA's business strategy gives me flashbacks to the executive strategy meeting scene in "The Secret of My Success".

I paid to fly F DEN-HNL this past Christmas and really regretted it. I have never before flown in the front and felt like going to grab some food when I landed. Just pathetic.
Old May 12, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I paid to fly F DEN-HNL this past Christmas and really regretted it. I have never before flown in the front and felt like going to grab some food when I landed. Just pathetic.
In fairness that was during the DEN kitchen closure. The same flight today would be full meal service.
Old May 12, 2018, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SFO 1K

In fairness that was during the DEN kitchen closure. The same flight today would be full meal service.
I just flew DEN-OGG last week after catering was fixed (except for fruit). The “full meal service” in F is definitely less that it was. Portions were smaller on main meal after takeoff. Mid-flight was a down-sized snack basket. A cookie was provided before landing. 7.5 hours. I was fine because I had breakfast at UC, but I can see where some would be starving by HNL or OGG.
Old May 12, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, AA Lifetime Plat, SPG Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, United Plat
Does ORD-CUN (3:50) follow these new rules despite being "international?" Flying tomorrow and res says "lunch" but wondering if we should plan to grab a bite in the terminal.
Old May 12, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: IB+ Emerald (Platino), M&M Senator (Gold), Meliá Rewards Platino, NH Platinum
Originally Posted by uncguy85
Does ORD-CUN (3:50) follow these new rules despite being "international?" Flying tomorrow and res says "lunch" but wondering if we should plan to grab a bite in the terminal.
Flew IAH-MEX yesterday. It was a dinner flight, but I asked the FA if the lunch and breakfast flights on <4h international routes were also "enhanced" and apparently not.
Old May 12, 2018, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Domestic meals in F are definitely getting worse - both "simpler" and less.

Was on a 2 hour (actually flying time) early morning mainline departure out of YYC the other day and the breakfast was a few slices of fruits and a muffin. Not even yogurt.

The regional lunch flight into YYC had some syrup soaked pineapple as the salad and a piece of chocolate as the dessert.

Even on morning flights with egg dishes, they are terrible.

I guess we can't say we are surprised and will probably get worse as fuel prices rise...
Old May 12, 2018, 11:34 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by username
Domestic meals in F are definitely getting worse - both "simpler" and less.

Was on a 2 hour (actually flying time) early morning mainline departure out of YYC the other day and the breakfast was a few slices of fruits and a muffin. Not even yogurt.

The regional lunch flight into YYC had some syrup soaked pineapple as the salad and a piece of chocolate as the dessert.

Even on morning flights with egg dishes, they are terrible.

I guess we can't say we are surprised and will probably get worse as fuel prices rise...
Not all domestic meals. Ps. meals continue to be excellent. Draw your own conclusions as to why that is so.
Old May 12, 2018, 11:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Not all domestic meals. Ps. meals continue to be excellent. Draw your own conclusions as to why that is so.
Just waiting for the other shoe to drop . . .
EWR764 and artvandalay like this.
Old May 13, 2018, 5:12 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by Kacee
Just waiting for the other shoe to drop . . .
It already has... on several occasions on BOS/SFO...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.