Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Domestic First Meal Service Reduction

United Domestic First Meal Service Reduction

Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by findark
I don't think DEN-LAX is treated any better than DEN-SFO but I could be wrong. My last DEN-LAX was 2pm and got only Refreshments. I felt ridiculous having to carry on a sandwich in F, but it was the fastest way to get from MSP to LAX (they cut the nonstop).
It's the 2pm time (the 787 flight most of last fall) that makes it a snack basket flight.

Depending on how long you consider your DEN-LAX flight (Italics mine)
2 hrs. 20 min. to 2 hrs. 30 min.
1:30 p.m. to 2:59 p.m. - Refreshments, which include a selection of premium snacks and fresh fruit
2 hrs. 31 min. to 3 hrs. 59 min.
1:30 p.m. to 2:59 p.m. - Refreshments are available on flights under 3 hours; A full meal service with two entree choices is available on flights 3 hours or longer
  1. United and United Express serve meals or snacks on flights shorter than 2 hrs. 20 min. only on the following routes:
    • Between Chicago O'Hare and Boston, Dallas/Ft. Worth, New York LaGuardia and New York/Newark
    • Between Denver and Chicago O'Hare, Houston Intercontinental and Los Angeles
    • Between New York/Newark and Atlanta
  2. United and United Express serve meals on flights departing between 1:30 and 3:59 p.m. on the following routes:
    • Between Chicago O'Hare and Albuquerque, Bozeman, Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, Jackson Hole, Las Vegas, Phoenix and West Palm Beach
    • Between Denver and Columbus or Vancouver
    • Between Houston Intercontinental and Los Angeles, New York LaGuardia, New York/Newark, Pittsburgh and Richmond
    • Between New York/Newark and New Orleans or St. Johns
    • Between San Francisco and Edmonton
    • Between Washington Dulles and Dallas/Ft. Worth, Denver and Houston

NOTE that for item 2 above, DEN-LAX is not included in the meal exception window between 1:30 and 3:59PM
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat
Could be an error, or they're anticipating a catering issue and don't want to promise a meal at this point? Trying to be optimistic, I guess. I fly the DEN-ORD route a whole bunch and I love the fact that there's a meal service in first.

FWIW, United's website still indicates that this is an exception route so if they've made a policy change, they haven't gone public with it yet.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: Former 1K turned UA Kettle
I have IAH-SMF return at the end of the month. Both directions show Meal: None. Outbound is 4h 22m block time, return is just under 4 hrs. Surely a website glitch right? According to the site linked above, both flights should be catered with meals?

Outbound departs at 9:40 am landing 12:02 pm
Return departs at 1:05pm landing 6:45pm
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UTex09
I have IAH-SMF return at the end of the month. Both directions show Meal: None. Outbound is 4h 22m block time, return is just under 4 hrs. Surely a website glitch right? According to the site linked above, both flights should be catered with meals?

Outbound departs at 9:40 am landing 12:02 pm
Return departs at 1:05pm landing 6:45pm
Apologies if a dumb question, but are you booked in first?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: Former 1K turned UA Kettle
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles

Yes
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles

Coach would show "Meals for purchase"
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
FLL-ORD was catered with a snack for the 12:45 pm departure. The FAs said that the change just occurred. They had flown EWR-FLL and it was also a snack. Hope this changes back.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:14 pm

Location: DFW from PDX - UA 1K 2MM,Lifetime HHonnors Diamond, Bonvoy AMB/LT Tit, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
FLL to IAH

FLL to IAH, noon departure, only had a cheese plat or small salad. Seems like a change.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
They should just bring the Snacks For Sale cart through F now. It's beyond a joke. LH can give you an appetizer and choice of an entree intra-Europe for 'short' flights regardless of time of day - and UA gives you a basket full of Nacho Cheese Chips and some almonds. Mmmmmm...
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Coach would show "Meals for purchase"
And those meals would be better than most F catering these days.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Everyone who experiences meal service which does not meet their published standards - please complain to UA - they need to know this is not okay!
seanp7 and bootstrapper like this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Had an almost 3 hr flights, left at 2:55 pm

Didn't click until I got on board and realized - no food
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
DEN-ORD and DEN-IAH (and vice versa) are exception markets where meals, including snack trays are served rather than snack basket which for flights of that stage length no longer qualify for meals. DEN-LAX also is an exception market. Why DEN-SFO isn't is unclear to me.
DEN-LAX and DEN-IAH got "snacked" effective January 1.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 1:52 pm

I nostalgically remember flying a 747 from LAX to DEN and enjoying great food. Of course, this was pre-CO and pre-Jeff back when United seemed to want to compete and be a good airline. Those days are long gone.
wxguy and demkr like this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat Marriott Gold HHGold UA Silver
It had been since CO that I had flown from Florida to Houston in F. On a whim I paid for one of those check on upgrades. But with limited expectations .

I expected a mediocre half baked meal like CO offered in the past as it was a "lunch" time flight (CO did have the best soup tho). I got a nicer bag of pretzel than they had out in coach and free direct TV

Separately a friend of mine recently in F facing the same no food issue. He was CHARGED for a snack box from Y when he requested it seated F!!

It was only a few years ago that Continental offered more to customers in the back than UA does in F now.

Soon it will all be Spirit

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.