Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Domestic First Meal Service Reduction

United Domestic First Meal Service Reduction

Old May 9, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by dilanesp
This is a good post.

Bottom line is if what FF'ers want is tons of upgrades, that's going to mean a low level of inflight amenities. If the airline is going to offer luxury in FC, it needs most of those seats to be paid for at a high price. Airlines took awhile to figure this out, which is why people got to upgrade into luxury.
UA's pre-slash meal service is not what I would classify as "luxury."
Old May 9, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Just came off a "lunch" flight hub to hub DEN-SFO. Choices were a few pieces of cheese or a small salad with no bread or meat (FA quote). It was catered at SFO! FA's are beyond embarrassed by the offering and were openly asking us to write in with our complaints. I'll do it, but bottom line I don't think it will change. I remember a couple years ago when survey data for Polaris came back with "sleep and price" being the deciding factors for travelers. Kirby took that and ran with it. As long as prices are good, food will continue to regress. "Streamline" is the new buzz word for small portions and snacks. Get used to it folks.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Just came off a "lunch" flight hub to hub DEN-SFO. Choices were a few pieces of cheese or a small salad with no bread or meat (FA quote). It was catered at SFO! FA's are beyond embarrassed by the offering and were openly asking us to write in with our complaints. I'll do it, but bottom line I don't think it will change. I remember a couple years ago when survey data for Polaris came back with "sleep and price" being the deciding factors for travelers. Kirby took that and ran with it. As long as prices are good, food will continue to regress. "Streamline" is the new buzz word for small portions and snacks. Get used to it folks.
It will change if enough people write in about it! Keep the letters coming. This is an absolute joke what was served on ORD-LAS-ORD. Some pieces of cheese! No nuts, no nothing. I’ll be on ORD-ANC next week, I can’t wait to see what they serve. Thats a long flight on a 738.
Old May 10, 2018, 12:42 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by SS255

UA's pre-slash meal service is not what I would classify as "luxury."
No, but to a greedy corporation, every extra dollar they spend, they are expecting $3.00 back on the investment and not the status quo. Even if what they give you is nothing more than lipstick on a pig.
Old May 10, 2018, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Any correlation between CPUs and meal service is ridiculous. UA has to offer a meal even where CPUs are common because of competition. Unfortunately, Kirby and Co have just decided to make those "meals" smaller and smaller.
This is already done. You can't CPU on the PS flights and those flights never get a snack basket. With Hawaii, you can CPU from the West Coast and the food shown couple posts above looks like utter trash. You can't CPU on the "Long Haul Hawaii" flights and the food looks A LOT better. Just a theory on my part nothing concrete.
Old May 10, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by seat38a
No, but to a greedy corporation, every extra dollar they spend, they are expecting $3.00 back on the investment and not the status quo. Even if what they give you is nothing more than lipstick on a pig.
I'm not denying this and would hope the corporation would think this way. That said, if they want people to pay up for first, offer a product that's worth it. A wrap that my three year old nephew eats for a snack and a little chocolate square isn't going to entice me to continue to purchase them. I get it's a difficult balancing act for United on determining how many full fare tickets they should sell, P fares, and leave space for upgrades, and I'm glad I'm not the one in charge of it All the while what level of service can they provide with these mix of passengers to remain competitive. I'm sure I'm in the minority,. but I don't expect to be upgraded much on domestic flights unless I fly at odd times (which I have done when flexible) otherwise I just buy an F ticket. That said, as long as AA is relatively close in price to United and the specific routes I'm flying now, I'll buy their F ticket until either United drops this snack service or AA starts to cut. When I'm spending an extra $200-$400 dollars, I'd like to think they can afford to throw me some nuts and instead of a cheese plate something a little more filling. I won't deny that F is priced cheaper now on some routes than it used to be or that I've noticed, however again as long as AA isn't too much more and their offering is better, I'll fly them. United still has me international, I enjoy the Polaris lounge and I'm content with the offerings in air.
Old May 10, 2018, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by SkiPremier
I'm not denying this and would hope the corporation would think this way. That said, if they want people to pay up for first, offer a product that's worth it. A wrap that my three year old nephew eats for a snack and a little chocolate square isn't going to entice me to continue to purchase them. I get it's a difficult balancing act for United on determining how many full fare tickets they should sell, P fares, and leave space for upgrades, and I'm glad I'm not the one in charge of it All the while what level of service can they provide with these mix of passengers to remain competitive. I'm sure I'm in the minority,. but I don't expect to be upgraded much on domestic flights unless I fly at odd times (which I have done when flexible) otherwise I just buy an F ticket. That said, as long as AA is relatively close in price to United and the specific routes I'm flying now, I'll buy their F ticket until either United drops this snack service or AA starts to cut. When I'm spending an extra $200-$400 dollars, I'd like to think they can afford to throw me some nuts and instead of a cheese plate something a little more filling. I won't deny that F is priced cheaper now on some routes than it used to be or that I've noticed, however again as long as AA isn't too much more and their offering is better, I'll fly them. United still has me international, I enjoy the Polaris lounge and I'm content with the offerings in air.
I'm with you there. I'm not saying my loyalty to United wasn't shaken after the last couple of enhancements. Hell, I even looked at AA and DL. If it wasn't for Star Alliance, I would have bailed already.
Old May 10, 2018, 10:51 am

At least some media is bringing attention

https://www.bizjournals.com/bizwomen...offerings.html

Didn't realize tomato juice got axed too.
Old May 10, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
To be fair, it's FLL on Tuesday... and the south Florida season is over. Even still, I bet there are far fewer CPUs on Th/F and Sun.

Regardless, UA publishes meal service standards by flight length length and then adds exception city pairs. If CPUs utilization is going to determine UA meal's service standards, then meals will be served according to city-pairing with flight time as the exception...

Furthermore, if CPU utilization is going to determine what F gets, then odd markets like CLT-ATL or DFW-IAH or ROC-ORD where CPUs are rare will get meals (AA examples, sorry most of my flight is with AA). Any correlation between CPUs and meal service is ridiculous. UA has to offer a meal even where CPUs are common because of competition. Unfortunately, Kirby and Co have just decided to make those "meals" smaller and smaller.
It's not ridiculous at all.

Indeed, here is a prediction:

Over the next few years, legacy carriers will correlate their first class service more exactly with average amount paid by F passengers. That will mean more p.s. routes, on the one hand, and more "snacked" routes, on the other.

The airline maximizes revenue by selling luxurious first service in markets where that sells, and cheap upgrades and CPU's with limited amenities where that doesn't sell.
Old May 10, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by dilanesp
It's not ridiculous at all.

Indeed, here is a prediction:

Over the next few years, legacy carriers will correlate their first class service more exactly with average amount paid by F passengers. That will mean more p.s. routes, on the one hand, and more "snacked" routes, on the other.

The airline maximizes revenue by selling luxurious first service in markets where that sells, and cheap upgrades and CPU's with limited amenities where that doesn't sell.
I think we're speculating regarding the same future eventuality. I agree, UA should correlate meal service with "paid F" routes and provide a better service. Currently, however, they do not: UA's meal service is stated by reference to flight time and then there are exceptions. With a meal service currently being predicated almost exclusively on flight time (with exceptions already cited), I'm saying it's ridiculous to assert that UA has already moved to city-pair based determination of meal service (policy explicitly provides otherwise) even though it's pretty clear IMO that's the direction heading in. I'm fortunate in that about 90% of my travel is paid F and I too would prefer if UA were honest and just declared city pairs with meal service as opposed to playing games with flight times.
Old May 11, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: UA GS
Currently on UA628 LGA-ORD. Fully expected based on reports for breakfast to have been “snacked” but the offering was the egg white pastry or cereal+fruit, same as always. Unless I’m misunderstanding the reductions there was no change in this route.
Old May 11, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by villox
Currently on UA628 LGA-ORD. Fully expected based on reports for breakfast to have been “snacked” but the offering was the egg white pastry or cereal+fruit, same as always. Unless I’m misunderstanding the reductions there was no change in this route.
Someone can correct if I'm wrong, but I believe this latest round of cuts would not have affected routes like this. Similarly, I flew TPA-ORD this AM and we had the egg white/provolone breakfast sandwich (90% bread, 9% cheese, <1% egg, in case anyone cares - I ate one bite).. this has been the standard since the Sept 2017 cutbacks.

The latest cuts affect everything between 11-4p ET on those similar length routes.. now getting the two-bite wrap or cheese plate.
Old May 11, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by villox
I would venture to guess that NYC-ORD is a route that they will maintain a higher level of meal service for.
Old May 11, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Someone can correct if I'm wrong, but I believe this latest round of cuts would not have affected routes like this. Similarly, I flew TPA-ORD this AM and we had the egg white/provolone breakfast sandwich (90% bread, 9% cheese, <1% egg, in case anyone cares - I ate one bite).. this has been the standard since the Sept 2017 cutbacks.

The latest cuts affect everything between 11-4p ET on those similar length routes.. now getting the two-bite wrap or cheese plate.
Strangely I cannot find anything on United.com that states what you should be getting or when. The reductions were supposed to be no more hot meal for breakfast or lunch unless the flight is over 4 hours. Who knows.
Old May 11, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37

I would venture to guess that NYC-ORD is a route that they will maintain a higher level of meal service for.
LGA-ORD lunch service has been snacked. I had a bowl of cold soba noodles with roast beef, Ghirardelli chocolate square, with no warm nuts.

I actually like the noodle bowl, so I was fine with it, but would find the cheese plate (the alternative) or half-wrap inadequate.
SkiPremier likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.