Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Domestic First Meal Service Reduction

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Domestic First Meal Service Reduction

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by ethan76
Separately a friend of mine recently in F facing the same no food issue. He was CHARGED for a snack box from Y when he requested it seated F!!
i think if your friend complained he’d get a refund and an apology for that snack box.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
HNL-DEN

Just got back flying HNL-DEN on the 777-200. The flight was delayed about 50 mins due to a late inbound (plane left Houston about 7 hours late) but I wouldn't think that would affect the pre-planned catering. Granted this was a red-eye (22:11 departure) and most people sleep it away rather than eating -- I certainly slept for the first 4 hours -- but the amenities listed in the app claimed this would have a United First Lunch and pre-arrival snack. What I was offered on awakening was a beverage and breakfast scone. The coffee was good enough but WTH was with the scone the size of a Pillsbury biscuit?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by rch4u
DEN-LAX and DEN-IAH got "snacked" effective January 1.
That explains my flight tomorrow over lunchtime.

Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
The late HNL-DEN is listed as Snack. No lunch at that hour. Snack would have been a burger at best. And then the scone on arrival.

Did they have a hot snack on departure?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
It doesn't surprise me that the app was wrong. I don't know if they offered something immediately after departure as I fell asleep almost upon take-off but I woke up 3 hours before landing and the scone is what I was offered. The FA was quite gracious about it but there was no hint of anything else.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Everyone should stop complaining. UA is just concerned about our health and trying to introduce us to intermittent fasting.

From wiki:
Intermittent fasting has been found to have beneficial effects in healthy and obese adults for reducing basal insulin, triglycerides, and blood glucose in fasting periods shorter than 24 hours.
This in concert with the liquor elimination thread has me convinced they really care.
Miggles likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
It's the 2pm time (the 787 flight most of last fall) that makes it a snack basket flight.

Depending on how long you consider your DEN-LAX flight (Italics mine)
2 hrs. 20 min. to 2 hrs. 30 min.
1:30 p.m. to 2:59 p.m. - Refreshments, which include a selection of premium snacks and fresh fruit
2 hrs. 31 min. to 3 hrs. 59 min.
1:30 p.m. to 2:59 p.m. - Refreshments are available on flights under 3 hours; A full meal service with two entree choices is available on flights 3 hours or longer
  1. United and United Express serve meals or snacks on flights shorter than 2 hrs. 20 min. only on the following routes:
    • Between Chicago O'Hare and Boston, Dallas/Ft. Worth, New York LaGuardia and New York/Newark
    • Between Denver and Chicago O'Hare, Houston Intercontinental and Los Angeles
    • Between New York/Newark and Atlanta
  2. United and United Express serve meals on flights departing between 1:30 and 3:59 p.m. on the following routes:
    • Between Chicago O'Hare and Albuquerque, Bozeman, Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, Jackson Hole, Las Vegas, Phoenix and West Palm Beach
    • Between Denver and Columbus or Vancouver
    • Between Houston Intercontinental and Los Angeles, New York LaGuardia, New York/Newark, Pittsburgh and Richmond
    • Between New York/Newark and New Orleans or St. Johns
    • Between San Francisco and Edmonton
    • Between Washington Dulles and Dallas/Ft. Worth, Denver and Houston

NOTE that for item 2 above, DEN-LAX is not included in the meal exception window between 1:30 and 3:59PM
Did they get rid of these flight exceptions? I'm trying to find the current "Between Denver and Chicago O'Hare" policy but I don't see it. Trying to decide which flight to take - one within a meal window or one without. It's small difference in $, but probably worth a meal.

Never mind. I went in to book a dummy booking and can see meals vs refreshments. Thank you!

Last edited by TravelLawyer; May 1, 2018 at 8:39 am
Old May 9, 2018, 11:40 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold

Well the image is from my parents flight yesterday. On a 737-900 with 20 FC seats, for sure 2 seats (My parents) were paid for. 12 got upgraded at the gate.

20 seats
12 upgrades
2 for sure paid
----------------------
8 that could be paid or upgraded 48-24 hours before.

This isn't the first time I've seen such high upgrade numbers.

My flight to Denver in a week and a half right now stands at 3 paid FC seats(My parents and I) and 2 others who could or could not be paid out of 24 FC seats. If the numbers such as the ones above are common, I can see why they are cutting back. It sucks but I can see why they do it.
Old May 9, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Sorry but long upgrade lists don't really tell the whole story. Some of these could be full Y instant upgrades, MileagePlus redemptions, etc....none of which should necessarily drive cutbacks in catering. Of course you are looking at FLLORD which is not exactly high-yielding either so I would expect not a lot of F is being sold outright. I'm not seeing that much more upgrades on my routes, but if they keep cutting the product then I wouldn't be surprised.
Old May 9, 2018, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by qukslvr619
Sorry but long upgrade lists don't really tell the whole story. Some of these could be full Y instant upgrades, MileagePlus redemptions, etc....none of which should necessarily drive cutbacks in catering. Of course you are looking at FLLORD which is not exactly high-yielding either so I would expect not a lot of F is being sold outright. I'm not seeing that much more upgrades on my routes, but if they keep cutting the product then I wouldn't be surprised.
When you pay for a full Y, your still paying for coach. My point is, United probably was hoping people would buy FC seats that cost more than the cost of Y or fill the front with P/Z fares so they would not have to upgrade the Y's. If everyone is a Y passenger, they probably figured why spend the extra money on FC dining and other things.

As I see it, even if United filled the front cabin with 20 P/Z fare paying customers and kept the 12 upgrades in coach, they would make more money than upgrading 12 and selling those now 12 coach seats at fraction of a P/Z fare.

And before anyone says that the Y's would run off to AA or DL, judging by lurking in the AA and DL forums, things are not any greener over there. I get it that full Y's feel that they are entitled to the front cabin but for United, AA and DL, Its better for their bottom line if there are no FC seats available to upgrade the Y's.

Last edited by seat38a; May 9, 2018 at 3:11 pm
Old May 9, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by seat38a
When you pay for a full Y, your still paying for coach. My point is, United probably was hoping people would buy FC seats that cost more than the cost of Y or fill the front with P/Z fares so they would not have to upgrade the Y's. If everyone is a Y passenger, they probably figured why spend the extra money on FC dining and other things.

As I see it, even if United filled the front cabin with 20 P/Z fare paying customers and kept the 12 upgrades in coach, they would make more money than upgrading 12 and selling those now 12 coach seats at fraction of a P/Z fare.

And before anyone says that the Y's would run off to AA or DL, judging by lurking in the AA and DL forums, things are not any greener over there.
Unless those Y fares were Y or B fares, then UA would make more money on a Y fare than P fare
Old May 9, 2018, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by N104UA
Unless those Y fares were Y or B fares, then UA would make more money on a Y fare than P fare
I'm a greedy corporation. And I have 10 seats up front and 40 seats in the back.
Based on actual greedy corporations numbers for LAX to DEN.

What I REALLY REALLY want:
10 * $2487 F fare = $24,870
40 * $1397 B fare = $55,880
---------------------------------------
$80,750

What I'm likely getting:
10 * $1397 B fare(Upgraded) $13970
5 * $1397 B fare $6,985
35 * $252 G fare $8,820
-----------------------------------------------------
$29,775

What I tried to achieve but failed.
1 * $2487 F fare $2,487
7 * $686 A fare $4,802 (Ma and Pa Kettle don't need the flexibility of full fare, but can afford to fly discounted F/C and will bite with A/Z/P fares)
2 * $1397 B fare(Upgraded) $2,794 (No choice. I have to travel with flexible fare.)
10 * $1397 B fare $13,970 (No choice. I have to travel with flexible fare. Got blocked by Ma and Pa Kettle)
30 * $252 G fare $7,560
$31,613

Last edited by seat38a; May 9, 2018 at 3:50 pm
Old May 9, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: united
I'm a greedy corporation. And I have 10 seats up front and 40 seats in the back.
Based on actual greedy corporations numbers for LAX to DEN.

What I REALLY REALLY want:
10 * $2487 F fare = $24,870
40 * $1397 B fare = $55,880
---------------------------------------
$80,750

What I'm likely getting:
10 * $1397 B fare(Upgraded) $13970
5 * $1397 B fare $6,985
35 * $252 G fare $8,820
$29,775

What I tried to achieve but failed.
1 * $2487 F fare $2,487
7 * $686 A fare $4,802 (Ma and Pa Kettle don't need the flexibility of full fare, but can afford to fly discounted F/C and will bite with A/Z/P fares)
2 * $1397 B fare(Upgraded) $2,794 (No choice. I have to travel with flexible fare.)
10 * $1397 B fare $13,970 (No choice. I have to travel with flexible fare. Got blocked by Ma and Pa Kettle)
30 * $252 G fare $7,560
$31,613
This is a good post.

Bottom line is if what FF'ers want is tons of upgrades, that's going to mean a low level of inflight amenities. If the airline is going to offer luxury in FC, it needs most of those seats to be paid for at a high price. Airlines took awhile to figure this out, which is why people got to upgrade into luxury.
Old May 9, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
My routes are mostly going 0-2 uogrades only. All the evidence I have seen has been more people buying F as its being priced close to Y.
Old May 9, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Well the image is from my parents flight yesterday. On a 737-900 with 20 FC seats, for sure 2 seats (My parents) were paid for. 12 got upgraded at the gate.
To be fair, it's FLL on Tuesday... and the south Florida season is over. Even still, I bet there are far fewer CPUs on Th/F and Sun.

Regardless, UA publishes meal service standards by flight length length and then adds exception city pairs. If CPUs utilization is going to determine UA meal's service standards, then meals will be served according to city-pairing with flight time as the exception...

Furthermore, if CPU utilization is going to determine what F gets, then odd markets like CLT-ATL or DFW-IAH or ROC-ORD where CPUs are rare will get meals (AA examples, sorry most of my flight is with AA). Any correlation between CPUs and meal service is ridiculous. UA has to offer a meal even where CPUs are common because of competition. Unfortunately, Kirby and Co have just decided to make those "meals" smaller and smaller.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.