Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Domestic First Meal Service Reduction

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Domestic First Meal Service Reduction

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist,
I wrote to 1K Voice last week expressing displeasure with seeing a meal listed as "lunch" but really just getting the aforementioned cheese plate and 2) not being given a choice of the other selection (I was told no choices left, and no policy for 1K's to get first choice). This was for a flight from IAH-LAS. The response I received was:

"I'm sorry to read about your concerns and that you were not advised of the changes made to our meal service. I realize communication is essential and based on your comments; clearly we could have done a better job.
On some routes, there were modification to food offerings based on length-of-flight and time-of-day. Examples include: Hot breakfasts modified to fruit plates, lunch plates modified to sandwich wraps.
I apologize for any convenience the change caused on your recent flights. Your feedback regarding our inflight meal service changes and how they were communicated has been filed. Thank you for the comments. With all of our food and beverage offerings, we will continuously monitor the volume of items in highest demand and adjust accordingly. "
We appreciate your business as a Mileage Plus 1K member and look forward to serving you on board a future United Airlines flight."

Of course, this ignored the issue of no choice, but that was probably my fault for putting two issues in one email. I have had the no choice problem 3 times in the last month. While I get an apology, I never received any sort of compensation, which is fine, but shows how inconsistent they are.

The biggest joke is calling the little mini-wrap a wrap! It does not taste bad, but it seems like less than half a wrap.
Old May 17, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by SkiPremier
Personally I'd prefer they go back to pre-Feb 1 standards. That's when the snack service started happening on some routes instead of a full lunch, but I won't complain if it's just pre-May 1.
Maybe this was the plan.

It is a time honored corporate strategy that if your plan is to make unpopular move A, you make moves A and B and then roll back B due to overwhelming popular demand. Leaving A in place.
Old May 17, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
On FLL-EWR right now (just under three hours) and was expecting just the sliced fruit with muffin.

Instead, the egg white puff pastry or cereal has been offered. I'm royally ticked off the lazy FA did not sort orders by status and there is no egg white thing for me.
Write in.

I just had a great snack on Air France for a flight of a little more than an hour. Plated offering of small roll with meat and cheese, carrots, pear fruit cup, hot cheese stick, two mini desserts and a chocolate and a glass of nice red wine. Great variety and 12 of us in the business class cabin on the A320. Providing the information that it can be done.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 17, 2018 at 2:30 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 17, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I just had a great snack on Air France for a flight of a little more than an hour. Plated offering of small roll with meat and cheese, carrots, pear fruit cup, hot cheese stick, two mini desserts and a chocolate and a glass of nice red wine. Great variety and 12 of us in the business class cabin on the A320. Providing the information that it can be done.
If you want proof it can be done just think to Qantas SYD-MEL flights in business class -- it amazed me how they could serve full meals like that on what is a ~1 hour flight
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by samjnz
If you want proof it can be done just think to Qantas SYD-MEL flights in business class -- it amazed me how they could serve full meals like that on what is a ~1 hour flight
UA used to serve a full, hot dinner on IAD-BOS pm flights in F, on the DC-10. Yep.
tstauck likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Write in.

Yup. Lufthansa and Swiss are like that too. I'm amazed at the meals they can serve between say Milan and Munich. And of course a 2 hour flight on Singapore gets you a better meal than any p.s. or international flight on United.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
To say that UA could provide a decent meal because other carriers do suggests the Euros could offer a better hard product configuration because UA does. Different markets, different priorities. Given a choice between a UA's 2X2 F cabin configuration and sham Euro business class, i.e. LH, LX, etc., I'd take take UA's configuration and deal with the meal situation as it is. At least UA realized the importance of all aisle access with Polaris; LH certainly missed that memo.

Of course, this is not say excuse UA's misguided catering choices. I too have shifted all spend, where permitted, back to AA until the situation improves.
seat38a, SkiPremier and lds89 like this.
Old May 17, 2018, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I’ve confirmed officially with United that the cutbacks are being rolled back. I’ll have more details on my blog in a couple hours.
Old May 17, 2018, 4:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I’ve confirmed officially with United that the cutbacks are being rolled back. I’ll have more details on my blog in a couple hours.
Great news, thank you! But...how far back are they thinking to roll back, since at this point I think most of us have lost count of the number of meal changes/iterations we've had just since January.
RobOnLI, EWR764 and Aussienarelle like this.
Old May 17, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by limey1K
Two F flights this week, both listed as Lunch. Cheese plate was the only choice on both flights.
That was the only choice available to the entire F cabin, or just to you (because the other choice was already "sold out")?
Old May 17, 2018, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just published my story.

https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....lass-cutbacks/

(DISCLAIMER: link to my blog)

Quote from United--

Originally Posted by United
We want our customers to know that we value and appreciate them and that we're listening. Our customers told us that they were not happy about the menu modifications so we made the decision to reverse the changes and return our meal service to our previous offerings.

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Great news, thank you! But...how far back are they thinking to roll back, since at this point I think most of us have lost count of the number of meal changes/iterations we've had just since January.
Just to pre-May 01 levels.

Last edited by MatthewLAX; May 17, 2018 at 5:26 pm
Old May 17, 2018, 5:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Just published my story.

https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....lass-cutbacks/

(DISCLAIMER: link to my blog)

Quote from United--

Just to pre-May 01 levels.
So this means Denver to LAX is still remaining snacked?
Old May 17, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I think it will be interesting - the May 1 changes coincided with "upgrading" a lot of the previously Snacked routes (stage lengths like SFO/DEN or SFO/YVR) to Breakfast and Lunch, while simultaneously slashing what that code meant to a slice of cheese. Unclear exactly what "rolling it back" means now.
Old May 17, 2018, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
I think it will be interesting - the May 1 changes coincided with "upgrading" a lot of the previously Snacked routes (stage lengths like SFO/DEN or SFO/YVR) to Breakfast and Lunch, while simultaneously slashing what that code meant to a slice of cheese. Unclear exactly what "rolling it back" means now.
I’ve asked United for specific clarification.
demkr and tstauck like this.
Old May 17, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
5-17 Data Point

Data point: 17 May UA 1578 IAH to BOS (5:35 pm departure)--good effort in F (Beef Provencale)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.