Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mikethe1
So 1 weigh 3*32 won't work?
That would be a seriously overweight piece, and it's very possible they would simply refuse it. Remember, someone has to lift it.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
So 1 weigh 3*32 won't work? Thanks,
You'll have to pay such a big fee that you will not want to do that. They don't take luggage that is more than 45 Kg except if it's a musical instrument or some equipment to help handicapped passengers. And for some cities (especially in Europe) the limit is really 32Kg.

I like 32 Kg per piece as that means that I don't have to weigh the luggage on the return. With 23 Kg it's always borderline.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, AA: Gold, Hilton: Diamond, Marriott: Plat Premier, Hertz: Pres Circle
Hoping someone might be able to assist with a question about earning PQM/PQD.

Booked a ticket tonight with United via Chase Ultimate Rewards for the following:

2/6 - DCA-EWR-HKG (Booked in W - EWR-HKG confirmable upgrade avail. at booking)
2/21 - TPE - NRT - ORD - CLE (Booked in K)

Total fare - $1024.

All flights are on UA except TPE-NRT is operated by ANA and i'm booked on the ANA flight (NH824). For some reason, Chase's travel agent booked this on ANA ticket stock - 205XXXXX Ticket Number. When I view the ticket on United's website it indicates I'll earn 16000 PQM and $868 PQD. The UA agent when she applied my GPU indicating I wouldn't earn PQM or PQD because this is ticketed on ANA Ticket Stock. I can't tell if that's the policy on UA's Mileage Plus website. Appreciate any guidance while I'm within the 24 hour cancel window. I'd hate to not start the year on the right track to requalifying for 1K.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by pdxdtm
The UA agent when she applied my GPU indicating I wouldn't earn PQM or PQD because this is ticketed on ANA Ticket Stock.
The agent is clueless. PQM does not depend on ticket stock. PQD does, but only for partner segments. UA segments earn PQD regardless of ticket stock. Your NH segment(s) will not earn any PQD.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, AA: Gold, Hilton: Diamond, Marriott: Plat Premier, Hertz: Pres Circle
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The agent is clueless. PQM does not depend on ticket stock. PQD does, but only for partner segments. UA segments earn PQD regardless of ticket stock. Your NH segment(s) will not earn any PQD.
thanks for confirming. That’s what I thought too. Especially since my receipt indicated I’ll earn the PQM for all segments and PQD for everything but the NH flight.

Merry christmas.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
OK, I see that you have Gold with Mileage Plus. For trips from Europe to the US and back you are allowed three pieces that each can weigh up to 32 Kg if you are traveling on United (with United being the first check-in desk).

Sorry I had to edit some things as I input Silver instead of Gold in the United website.
Note that this assumes your status is Gold in the MileagePlus program specifically and that your first flight is with United. If you have Gold from another airline, you'll have a lower limit. If your first check in is with another airline, you'll have a lower limit.

So 1 weigh 3*32 won't work? Thanks,
Flights to/from the US operate on the piece system, not the total weight system. When they say 2x23kg or 3x32kg, that's really what they mean. If your allowance is 2x23kg, and you have one bag that's 25kg and one that's 20kg, there's a good chance they will ask you to transfer items from the heavier bag to the lighter bag.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
Flights to/from the US operate on the piece system, not the total weight system.
Even within the U.S., there are limits on the weight of a single piece due to union rules and OSHA regulations.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: UA HH MR
First post sorry if answered elsewhere. Difficult to search existing topics

Current Silver status will change to Platinum via 2 MM companion in January. Need to book 2 flights GSO-HKG for March and April. Should I book now as Silver or wait to be confirmed to platinum before booking the flights? Will be booking Y fare.

Thanks for any input
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: UA 1K
Stupidly simple question, I honestly just haven't run into this before.

I'm a 1K flying from Toronto to Florida with my family, via EWR. So - YYZ-EWR-MCO.

I do not have a United Club membership, but it is an international itinerary. So I know I can guest my wife into the UC, but what about my two dependent children (11 and 9?). And does anyone know what the deal will be at the Maple Leaf Lounge in YYZ?

Thx.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...es/access.html
https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/...f-lounges.html

Looks like no dependent children for free, in EWR or YYZ, but YMMV (or have some Chase passes handy for EWR).
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:58 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by jdnic

Current Silver status will change to Platinum via 2 MM companion in January. Need to book 2 flights GSO-HKG for March and April. Should I book now as Silver or wait to be confirmed to platinum before booking the flights? Will be booking Y fare.
I would book when the price is right @:-)

You can choose better seats when status kicks in.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:38 pm

If you want to use a GPU, that books into PZ correct? Before I call and make myself sound like an idiot I wanted to check. I called to have a GPU applied to a flight (for some reason, I couldn't do it online) and was told I was wait listed (and it shows as such in my booking). However, the flight has PZ8, so shouldn't it have just cleared? My ticket is a Q.

My other flight is PZ0, so I know that I play the waiting game there (fare class is M for that flight).

ETA - I decided to risk sounding like an idiot. Not sure what the glitch was, but the agent did confirm the upgrade. And, it is an old 3-class plane, so she was able to give me a "first class" seat (I'm 1K). I know that the plane may change to a new 2-class, but the new 2-class all have seating plans with all of the business class seats having aisle access (I think?), so I don't really care what seat I get if I have to be moved (just nice to avoid the dreaded 2-4-2 seats).

Last edited by frontenac551; Dec 27, 2018 at 2:56 pm
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmailKid
I would book when the price is right @:-)

You can choose better seats when status kicks in.
If OP is actually booking a Y fare, the price isn’t all that likely to change. But I do agree that the status at the time of flight will govern here.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jdnic
It doesn't really matter when you book the ticket. You can select E+ seats after the Plat status hits, regardless of when booked.

Originally Posted by Boogie711
I'm a 1K flying from Toronto to Florida with my family, via EWR. So - YYZ-EWR-MCO.

I do not have a United Club membership, but it is an international itinerary. So I know I can guest my wife into the UC, but what about my two dependent children (11 and 9?). And does anyone know what the deal will be at the Maple Leaf Lounge in YYZ?
One guest per *G, unfortunately no allowance for the children.

Originally Posted by frontenac551
And, it is an old 3-class plane, so she was able to give me a "first class" seat (I'm 1K). I know that the plane may change to a new 2-class, but the new 2-class all have seating plans with all of the business class seats having aisle access (I think?), so I don't really care what seat I get if I have to be moved (just nice to avoid the dreaded 2-4-2 seats).
Yes, a single swap is all aisle access. The nightmare scenario is two or more swaps, ending with you in 2-4-2 J. Keeps you on your toes
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by findark
The nightmare scenario is two or more swaps, ending with you in 2-4-2 J.
You really think this is worse than an E- downgrade?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 27, 2018 at 11:03 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.