Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:57 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by MatthiasWagner
Hi, hope someone can help me with a question.

I have a Lufthansa flight SFO-AMS i Biz class P. On the United lounge site it says that I can acces the Polaris Lounge when: "A boarding pass for travel in long-haul international business class on a Star Alliance member airline", but: "Access is not allowed for customers with discounted industry, airline or staff travel tickets, unless specifically stated". What is meant by "discounted airline ticket"? Is it only full fare biz (C/J?) there gain acces, and not my P class?

Thanx in advance!
MattiasWagner - Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Any business class ticket, including P class, would be eligible. However Lufthansa (LH) does not fly SFO-AMS direct. If you are flying SFO-FRA-AMS in business class, you can access the Polaris Lounge at SFO.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:11 am

Programs: Eurobonus EBG
Ohh my bad, its of course SFO-FRA (AMS-SFO is the outbound), thanks for the answer!

If P is ok for acces, then what does United mean by "Discounted airline tickets"?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MatthiasWagner
Ohh my bad, its of course SFO-FRA (AMS-SFO is the outbound), thanks for the answer!

If P is ok for acces, then what does United mean by "Discounted airline tickets"?
The exception clause is to exempt 'non-revenue' tickets from lounge access. Those tickets are not accessible to the public; for example, employees of UA can have travel benefits that allow them to fly without purchasing a fare when space is available at the close boarding, and they cannot use the lounge in that case.

Unfortunate that it overlaps confusingly with their terminology for the relative pricing of the fare classes!

And welcome to FT!
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
I want to book an award ticket for myself and a companion on the same reservation with SQ miles and the flight is on UA metal. If I have them manually update the PNR with my MileagePlus # will my both of us still receive my Gold benefits? I have done this with BA/AA and want to make sure it works on other airlines too.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:44 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flyguy6
I want to book an award ticket for myself and a companion on the same reservation with SQ miles and the flight is on UA metal. If I have them manually update the PNR with my MileagePlus # will my both of us still receive my Gold benefits? I have done this with BA/AA and want to make sure it works on other airlines too.
If SQ allows this on award tickets, then you will be able to get your UA benefits.
flyguy6 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Is there a way online to change your FF #? I originally put in my Amtrak Guest Rewards number (which earns 1 point per mile flown), but want to credit the flight to UA since I've decided to do a status challenge.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by hi55us
Is there a way online to change your FF #?
No, you have to call. They took the online capability away years ago.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
About the only use for such a small amount of miles is to purchase internet but 1,0xx miles is probably not enough for even the shortest flights. Miles cannot be used to purchase food on onboard (but a some UA hubs they can be used to purchase food -- again 1,0xx miles is too little)

UA presently does not offer pre-order flight food.

To earn miles for the flight, you should have you MP account attached to the flight before departure
Thanks for your reply. I was able to successfully use 1040 miles at Houston Intercontinental Airport at a sushi restaurant called Yume. It corresponded to about $7 - $8 and this was enough for e. g. 5 dumplings, 5 pieces of sushi, or the biggest piece of chocolate cake I have ever seen (which I chose).
jsloan and pdx1 like this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 6:04 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by drvb
Thanks for your reply. I was able to successfully use 1040 miles at Houston Intercontinental Airport at a sushi restaurant called Yume. It corresponded to about $7 - $8 and this was enough for e. g. 5 dumplings, 5 pieces of sushi, or the biggest piece of chocolate cake I have ever seen (which I chose).
Well, it is Texas

BTW, can you share where you found the places that accept miles for food?

Will fly for food
Old Dec 4, 2018, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
BTW, can you share where you found the places that accept miles for food?
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...rt-dining.aspx "Use your miles for airport dining" IAH/EWR only
EmailKid likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:20 am
formerly Goflyer100

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion - Hilton Diamond
I will do a mileage run this Friday: LAX-ORD-MCO-IAD-LAX. I have a quick connection at ORD and only 3 hours before my flight back from MCO. My question is what if I miss my flight from ORD to MCO. I will miss my flight from MCO to IAD as well then. If I'm already checked-in online, can I still take a later flight from MCO to IAD?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
I used UA miles for a JFK-GVA-CTA one way, operated by Swiss. On the United confirmation, it says that the first bag is USD0.00; however, when I pull up the PNR on Swiss, it says it's a light fare with no checked bag.

Which is accurate?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
I used UA miles for a JFK-GVA-CTA one way, operated by Swiss. On the United confirmation, it says that the first bag is USD0.00; however, when I pull up the PNR on Swiss, it says it's a light fare with no checked bag.

Which is accurate?
Baggage policy of United “should” apply since it is the first carrier. Be sure to take a printout of the ticket with you to the airport Incase you run into an unfamiliar agent at check-in.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by hokiebuy

Baggage policy of United “should” apply since it is the first carrier. Be sure to take a printout of the ticket with you to the airport Incase you run into an unfamiliar agent at check-in.
I doubt United operates the JFK-GVA leg.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hokiebuy
Originally Posted by threeoh
I doubt United operates the JFK-GVA leg.
Indeed not. :-)

Originally Posted by iflyalexair
Which is accurate?
You will get one free bag. Award tickets are considered Classic fares, no matter what the Swiss website is telling you. I have booked an LX Y award and had no problem checking luggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.