Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and weve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just cant find it or arent sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:37 am

If I have premier status, and I book a domestic award ticket for someone else, is it possible for them to get premier benefits (checked bag and whatnot)?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by slowreactor
If I have premier status, and I book a domestic award ticket for someone else, is it possible for them to get premier benefits (checked bag and whatnot)?
No, the benefits no longer follow the miles.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by drvb
I have 1042 United MileagePlus-miles and I will soon be flying United (Liberia-Houston-Chicago). Can I spend my miles on something (chocolate bar perhaps?) on board any of my flights ? Do I need to pre-order? Does my United frequent flyer card number need to be in the booking? Thanks.
About the only use for such a small amount of miles is to purchase internet but 1,0xx miles is probably not enough for even the shortest flights. Miles cannot be used to purchase food on onboard (but a some UA hubs they can be used to purchase food -- again 1,0xx miles is too little)

UA presently does not offer pre-order flight food.

To earn miles for the flight, you should have you MP account attached to the flight before departure
drvb likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:19 pm

Question about UA travel waivers. 1K on a UA metal flight to Europe, but LH ticket stock (in this case, Economy Light).
a) Does UA's travel waiver apply in this situation or does LH need to also have a waiver?
b) If UA's waiver applies, do I call UA or LH?
c) Will the Economy Light be a problem for switching routing to a UA itinerary via IAD/EWR? Or would they only switch me to a LH metal flight?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Combining ecerts

Hello. What is the current situation with combining ecerts for itinerary purchase
Thanks
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by cagcag
Hello. What is the current situation with combining ecerts for itinerary purchase
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ty-policy.html
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
-Thanks. So nothing recently changed
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: UA MM
I qualified for Plat. earlier this year good through Jan 2020 (for the first time in three or four years) and received the normal 2 RPUs which expire early 2020. Here's what I forgot from years past... do I receive an additional 2 RPUs early 2020 or are these two I received all that I have for the few months of 2019 plus all of 2020? Thanks.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I qualified for Plat. earlier this year good through Jan 2020 (for the first time in three or four years) and received the normal 2 RPUs which expire early 2020. Here's what I forgot from years past... do I receive an additional 2 RPUs early 2020 or are these two I received all that I have for the few months of 2019 plus all of 2020? Thanks.
That's all you get - you just got them early.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by ttervooren
Thank you for the really good information.

With regard to why I want to book a one-way FLR-ONT award flight...I already have the outbound award flights on AA into FCO. I could cancel them for a fee...something like $175. And am ok doing that.

Since we will finish our vacation in Florence, I wanted to fly from there rather than FCO as we are not as spry as we once were and I'm thinking we'll be a wee bit tired after 4.5 weeks of traveling and entertaining family in Italy. We will be celebrating his 80th birthday there.
I'm still not sure why you would want to do this. There is a comfortable high-speed Trenitalia Russo train which runs regularly between downtown Florence and Rome; it's very easy to use and only takes a couple of hours to make the trip. You can connect easily to get to FCO. And by flying out of FCO, you may be able to fly home more directly (e.g. EWR or YYZ) without having to stop again in Europe. I can also really recommend going through Customs and Immigration in YYZ. It is friendlier and more relaxed with shorter lines than many of the major arrival points in the US. Plus, once you pre-clear through US border control (you never formally enter Canada), your flight is considered to be an internal one, potentially eliminating the need to take time to do this at your destination, when all you want to do is get home.

FYI, If you do decide to transit in FRA, be aware that it is one of the biggest airports in the world and that you will probably have to walk the length of at least 2 long concourses and across a shopping mall to get from the *A Schengen flights in B to the non-Schengen zone flights in A/Z.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, HH Dia
Maybe a silly question, but I am losing my mind over here trying to use United.com to find award space on ANA.

When I search for JFK-TYO, JFK-NRT, JFK-HND, United's garbage award system defaults to searching "NYC" - all NYC airports. If I wanted all NYC, I would have typed "NYC" rather than JFK. This is unbelievably infuriating and is adding time to my search - is there any way to fix it?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by WillSkiGT
Maybe a silly question, but I am losing my mind over here trying to use United.com to find award space on ANA.

When I search for JFK-TYO, JFK-NRT, JFK-HND, United's garbage award system defaults to searching "NYC" - all NYC airports. If I wanted all NYC, I would have typed "NYC" rather than JFK. This is unbelievably infuriating and is adding time to my search - is there any way to fix it?
That's because UA doesn't operate any flights from JFK.

edit: Of course ANA operates from JFK but the website might have a glitch in thinking since UA doesn't operate from there, it wants to shift you over to another airport. Hard to say.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, HH Dia
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
That's because UA doesn't operate any flights from JFK.

edit: Of course ANA operates from JFK but the website might have a glitch in thinking since UA doesn't operate from there, it wants to shift you over to another airport. Hard to say.
Yeah, it's very odd. It will list the JFK-TYO flights, but buries them in the results (120+ results). Doesn't seem like there is any way to filter or anything.

When you search for flights from ORD or LAX, it doesn't default to "All Chicago" or "All Los Angeles" airports. Frustrating.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yeah, it's very odd.
It makes perfect sense. UA doesn't want to lose business by not including EWR flights when potential customers search from JFK (or LGA).

It will list the JFK-TYO flights, but buries them in the results (120+ results). Doesn't seem like there is any way to filter or anything.
If you search for nonstops only, that will significantly reduce the search results.
EmailKid likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
When you search for flights from ORD or LAX, it doesn't default to "All Chicago" or "All Los Angeles" airports.
United flies from those. It would be nice if united.com would expand searches from other airports. Just try MDW instead of ORD or LGB instead of LAX.

Remember, websites are designed for the 99%, not the 1%.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.