Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2018, 5:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by net222
One more question regarding silver/gold. If my Thursday's flight push me over the gold, when I will get gold status on UA web site?
When the miles actual post, typically 2 days later
How long / time to update status? [Crossing/changing tiers/status] What to do ?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:25 am

Another question that is not clear to me. If I fly Air India, do I get PQM on United based on actual mileage flown or based on class of travel? On this page it says you earn PQM, but then the charts just show "award miles" and don't refer to PQM. I am looking at flying in J and am UA silver, if that matters.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by giblet
If I fly Air India, do I get PQM on United based on actual mileage flown or based on class of travel? On this page it says you earn PQM, but then the charts just show "award miles" and don't refer to PQM.
PQM earn depends on fare class. The chart is here under "Mileage Plus Premier qualification."
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
PQM earn depends on fare class. The chart is here under "Mileage Plus Premier qualification."
Doh! Don't know how I missed that. Thanks for pointing it out.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by giblet
Doh! Don't know how I missed that. Thanks for pointing it out.
It used to all display on one page without having to click a drop down menu. Pretty much every UA website "upgrade" over the past six years has dumbed the site down and made information more difficult to find.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:19 pm

Question Two simple questions

Will flying standby on an earlier flight impact my PQM and PQD accruals? I flew back to SFO from HNL yesterday, and rather than take the original scheduled red eye I elected to go standby on the earlier option. This decision now appears to be screwing up my plans for reaching 1K this year, and need to act quickly to get one more flight on the calendar if it is not just a delay in posting. The odd thing is the miles and dollars also don't show either as earned miles/dollars nor on the "future flights" feature of the accruals calculator on united.com.

Second question: several recent fights have resulted in service disruptions or other inconveniences. As a result I have $500 in united vouchers to use on flights. Will these offset PQDs on flights where they are used? Again, I don't want to screw up the calculus to get to 1K this year by using them now vs next year.

Thanks for any insights!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, NJH1986

Originally Posted by NJH1986
Will flying standby on an earlier flight impact my PQM and PQD accruals? ....
Generally no*. Allow at least 2 days for miles to post
* One exception is you accept a change of cabin, another if the routing changed. But neither seemto be a factor here.

Originally Posted by NJH1986
I have $500 in united vouchers to use on flights. Will these offset PQDs on flights where they are used? ...
No, ETC are consider a form of payment and will not impact PQDs earned.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 1:06 pm

United inventory gives bad connections when award booking as Non-Elite

I am a novice with award flights. I my self have a United Silver and my wife is a non-elite.
I am trying to book a flight from my account and I get to show very good connections. However when trying to search from wife's account, I see poor connections.
Being an United card member, it shows some exclusive connections.

I want to use my wife's miles for this tickets and is there any way around to get the better flights using her miles. Called mileageplus desk and they were of no help.
Appreciate any suggestions here.

Thanks !
Old Nov 11, 2018, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nvtech
I am a novice with award flights. I my self have a United Silver and my wife is a non-elite.
I am trying to book a flight from my account and I get to show very good connections. However when trying to search from wife's account, I see poor connections.
Being an United card member, it shows some exclusive connections.

I want to use my wife's miles for this tickets and is there any way around to get the better flights using her miles. Called mileageplus desk and they were of no help.
Appreciate any suggestions here.

Thanks !
Unfortunately no way around that. With a UA MP branded card, you have access to better inventory, but it only works with the cardholder's miles.

Does your wife wish to apply for a credit card? I am not up to date with the offers, but sometimes the first year is free.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
I am not up to date with the offers, but sometimes the first year is free.
Currently the standard offering is first year is free and you get 40,000 miles by spending $2000 in 3 months. The 50,000 mile offer is also still live https://www.theexplorercard.com/50k3kinflight
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
Question When can I perform Seat Assignments?

I need to book flights in economy EWR-TLV (paid tickets, nonstop flights) for myself and my sister. I am a MileagePlus member, with no status, my sister is not a member. It is important that I can do seat assignment (for both me and my sister) at time of booking, or immediately after booking.
Questions:
1) If I do the booking (1 PNR for both of us) when I am logged in to my MileagePlus acct, will I be able to select seats?
2) If I do the booking logged in to my wife's MileagePlus acct (no status, but she has a Chase MileagePlus Explorer card), will I then be able to do seat assignments? Any other advantages/disadvantages?
2.1) Booking from my wife's acct: Is it important that I pay with her Chase MileagePlus Explorer card, or same if I pay with my Sapphire Preferred card?
Thanks.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by IntFF
1) If I do the booking (1 PNR for both of us) when I am logged in to my MileagePlus acct, will I be able to select seats?
Yes. Normal non-status pax can pick seats on EWR-TLV flights. You don't have to be signed into any account.

2) If I do the booking logged in to my wife's MileagePlus acct (no status, but she has a Chase MileagePlus Explorer card), will I then be able to do seat assignments? Any other advantages/disadvantages?
If you were booking an award ticket, there would be more saver availability with her account (with attached Explorer card). But if you're doing paid tickets, I don't think it matters.

2.1) Booking from my wife's acct: Is it important that I pay with her Chase MileagePlus Explorer card, or same if I pay with my Sapphire Preferred card?
Thanks.
If you pay with the Explorer card, you get the Explorer card benefits, and if you pay for the Sapphire Preferred card, you get the CSP benefits. Note that coverage like Trip Delay (available with both cards) is only for cardholder/spouse/children, not sibling, so if you buy the tickets together on one PNR only you (not your sister) will get that benefit. Other benefits like Trip Interruption cover extended family including siblings and siblings-in-law. I think your coverage in this case would be the same with either card.

Your wife is not travelling so buying with Explorer Card will not get you any of the United-specific benefits (Boarding Group 2, etc.).
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred Plus
Can anyone tell me what would happen if I miss a flight due to IRROPS of an earlier trip?.

I typically fly ORD-CLE-ORD every week for work, but in a few weeks I'm planning to take a trip to Hawaii with my wife going from ORD-LAX-HNL the next day.

If my CLE-ORD flight back home is cancelled or rescheduled so that I can no longer make my ORD-LAX itinerary, will United help me out? Or am I better off not going to Cleveland that week?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by flandery
Can anyone tell me what would happen if I miss a flight due to IRROPS of an earlier trip?.

I typically fly ORD-CLE-ORD every week for work, but in a few weeks I'm planning to take a trip to Hawaii with my wife going from ORD-LAX-HNL the next day.

If my CLE-ORD flight back home is cancelled or rescheduled so that I can no longer make my ORD-LAX itinerary, will United help me out? Or am I better off not going to Cleveland that week?
You are better off not going to Cleveland ANY week.
flandery likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flandery
Since both of your flights are UA, there's a good chance that they'd take care of you if need be.

With an overnight stop at ORD? I wouldn't worry about this at all. The only thing I'd do is watch for weather waivers for CLE and ORD, and take advantage of them if it looks like you may be impacted by winter weather.
flandery likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.