Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
If I book an economy award ticket on Lufthansa and then business availability opens up, do I need to pay a change fee in addition to the points/tax delta?
Yes, and if there are other non-UA flights on the itin they need to be rebook from new inventory also. It is basically a replacement ticket, not a changed ticket.

Originally Posted by Polytonic
Is there an easy way to figure out whether a ticket sold by an OTA is a bulk/consolidated fare? ...
Pre-purchase, you will need to ask the OTA. If you can get the full fare rules, it should be stated.

Post purchase, you look on united.com.

If you purchase, many OTA have a 24-hour free cancellation window.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:25 pm

Am I doing something wrong? Whenever I sign in from Japan a "classic" UA page shows up with location : Japanese Yen, language English. Where did the
regular website go?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:22 am

Does anyone know where I can find seat reviews for the 777-200 I will be taking to HK (UA895) this Tuesday (Oct 16 2018)? I am definitely missing something as I cannot seem to find it in any of the configurations I have searched for online.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by an1030
Does anyone know where I can find seat reviews for the 777-200 I will be taking to HK (UA895) this Tuesday (Oct 16 2018)? I am definitely missing something as I cannot seem to find it in any of the configurations I have searched for online.
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 2

Further explained here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...my-2018-a.html
an1030 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 1:01 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
See Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 2

This is an older 3-class aircraft with 2-4-2 business class and 3-3-3 economy -- this aircraft configuration will be phased out within the next year.

If you are seeing something that does not match this, then see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...my-2018-a.html -- this may mean the newer configuration is a possibility.
an1030 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 3:39 pm

Looks like it is the interim 772 seating arrangement.

I am reading that sometimes the plane may change configurations within the last few days??? Unless it has the same number of seats, would this not be a problem for their passengers???

Edit - reading more carefully while still on the go, am I to understand that it is just a placeholder and the actual plane I fly on will actually not be of this configuration?

Last edited by an1030; Oct 13, 2018 at 4:21 pm
Old Oct 13, 2018, 5:03 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

Looks like it is the interim 772 seating arrangement.

I am reading that sometimes the plane may change configurations within the last few days??? Unless it has the same number of seats, would this not be a problem for their passengers???

Edit - reading more carefully while still on the go, am I to understand that it is just a placeholder and the actual plane I fly on will actually not be of this configuration?
Hybrid map is specifically so that it will not be a problem - i.e. no phantom seats on final, but if more dense configuration is used, then seat will magically appear.
an1030 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 6:43 pm

Thank you for your answers, folks!

Here is the current availability. Does not look hopeful that I will score 2 premium economy seats as a MileagePlus Silver member only... Let alone two beside each other!

Old Oct 13, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
Thank you for your answers, folks!

Here is the current availability. Does not look hopeful that I will score 2 premium economy seats as a MileagePlus Silver member only... Let alone two beside each other!
Not impossible but I would not get your hopes up. I would grab the economy plus window seats at T24 if they are still available. Keep an eye maps and see if anything opens up. Maybe a nice sole traveler will be willing to trade with you.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:22 am

I have a UA itinerary with an economy domestic flight connecting to an international flight in business. If my connection is only an hour, am I able to ask for lounge access on the first flight's airport instead?
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by superret
I have a UA itinerary with an economy domestic flight connecting to an international flight in business. If my connection is only an hour, am I able to ask for lounge access on the first flight's airport instead?
Assuming that it's a same day itinerary.

If your itinerary is all on UA, you have access to the UCs at the first airport and at the second airport. If you are flying in Polaris Business and your first airport has a Polaris Lounge you have access to it too. Naturally, in that case, you would have access to the Polaris Lounge at the second airport.

If your itinerary is not all on UA and you are *Gold from UA, you would have access at the first airport and second airport as described above.

If your itinerary is not all on UA and you are *Gold from another airline, you would also have access at the first and second airport as described above.

If your itinerary is not all on UA and you are not *Gold from UA or from another airline, you only have access to the UC or Polaris Lounge (if it's a real international long haul) at the second airport from where your Business Class plane leaves.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Oct 16, 2018 at 9:07 am Reason: Trying to clarify things
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by superret
What are the airports?
What are the flight operator for each flight?
Do you have any status?
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
If I earn Marriott Gold via RewardsPlus will it count as a year for lifetime for Marriott rewards?
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
If I earn Marriott Gold via RewardsPlus will it count as a year for lifetime for Marriott rewards?
It appears to (IME) but probably a better question for the Marriott forum.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It appears to (IME) but probably a better question for the Marriott forum.
Ok good to know.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.