Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Not sure if this is an UA specific issue, or industry wide.

Flying the following connection: TPE-SFO on UA and SFO-YYZ on AC (UA codeshare). TSA Pre is printed on the TPE-SFO segment, but not on the SFO-YYZ. UA agents do not know how to fix. TSA agents insisted I don't have TSA Pre because it's not on the ticket SFO-YYZ UA ticket.

In hindsight, after CBP reentry into US, I should have gone to the AC check-in desk and asked for a AC boarding pass before going through security at SFO. I had just thought TSA-Pre would be printed on all of your boarding passes.

Also, because of the TPE-SFO arrival time, I could have gotten on AC758 instead of the AC738; getting stuck on TSA lines dashed any hope.

Is the omission of TSA-Pre marking because it is a codeshare ticket?
The TSA agent was right: if TSA PRE is not printed on your boarding pass, you do not have TSA PRE.

AC flights passengers are supposed to get access to the TSA PRE. So, it might be that for that flight you were randomly chosen not to have it. To test that, what you could have done is as you say go to the AC counter to get a new boarding pass. You could have asked the agent if you had enough time before your flight (usually 1 hour but I don't know for Canada), to uncheck you from your flight, then reinput your known traveler number, then recheck you for the flight. TSA PRE might have appeared or not.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It could be if AC doesn't have your Trusted Traveler information. The operating airline needs that information, not the marketing airline.

And they are 100% correct. You're never guaranteed to get the TSA-Pre designation even if you qualify. They do randomize it.
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
The TSA agent was right: if TSA PRE is not printed on your boarding pass, you do not have TSA PRE.

AC flights passengers are supposed to get access to the TSA PRE. So, it might be that for that flight you were randomly chosen not to have it. To test that, what you could have done is as you say go to the AC counter to get a new boarding pass. You could have asked the agent if you had enough time before your flight (usually 1 hour but I don't know for Canada), to uncheck you from your flight, then reinput your known traveler number, then recheck you for the flight. TSA PRE might have appeared or not.
Thank both! I am definitely in the AC system - just checked. My outbound flight originated from YYZ and had TSA Pre on all my BPs (YYZ-SFO via AC and SFO-TPE via UA); ironically, I had no needs for them since I did not need to recheck at SFO since I precleared at YYZ.

Guess I was denied TSA Pre. Not a huge issue.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:28 am

Is there anything special that I need to do to make sure that this year's RPU/GPU are used rather than next year's? I've re-qualified for 1K for 2019, so have a mix of expiration dates.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by frontenac551
Is there anything special that I need to do to make sure that this year's RPU/GPU are used rather than next year's? I've re-qualified for 1K for 2019, so have a mix of expiration dates.
It has been a couple of years since I had that scenario but like you I was concerned but the system allocated based on expiry first.

However, one of them did not get used so I called up to swap it out.

When in doubt I call so to be certain when you want to use them call to apply the UG.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
MODS - not sure this is possible but thought I would ask. I am often looking at the seat maps and have to go searching for them and my search technique leaves much to be desired. My son calls me technology challenged.

I love the seat Wikis but was wondering if it may be possible to have a Sticky for the Seat Wikis in the top section that contains links to each seat Wiki?

That may not be doable but thought I would ask.

TIA
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Back on UA and back to US travel - some queries

Hi,

I haven’t flown to the US or on United in a long time – both bring a little more complexity than my usual travel.

United ticket/all UA flight numbers
AKL-SFO(on NZ)-EWR(onUA)-YHZ(on UA)
YHZ-BOS(on AC)-LAX(on UA)-AKL(on NZ)

1) As both first sectors are not on UA, presume I online check in with NZ and AC (and require their booking reference)

2) Will above complete check-in for subsequent UA flights, or is that a separate process?

3) Return sector have a 59 min transit in BOS – I know it’s legal, is it sufficient. In case of misconnect or other issues does the operating carrier (AC) or UA help out

4) What will show in my United app – all flights will have UA Mileage number, except the NZ flights.

Thanks for any tips.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
1) As both first sectors are not on UA, presume I online check in with NZ and AC (and require their booking reference)
2) Will above complete check-in for subsequent UA flights, or is that a separate process?
3) Return sector have a 59 min transit in BOS – I know it’s legal, is it sufficient. In case of misconnect or other issues does the operating carrier (AC) or UA help out
4) What will show in my United app – all flights will have UA Mileage number, except the NZ flights.
  1. Correct, though your passport is all you need - they'll look up the PNR themselves.
  2. They should be able to generate all BPs.
  3. SInce YHZ is a pre-clearance airport, this is basically a domestic connection, so you should be fine. On the day of travel, it's always the operating airline you talk to.
  4. You should see all your flights.
jeffrocowboy likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by frontenac551
If you apply your RPUs/GPUs to flights that have R=1 or R>1, the first ones to expire will be used first. If you have waitlisted those and the waitlist does not clear, that's when you might have some RPUs/GPUs coming back to your account that are due to expire first. If you know that happened, I would call UA. I don't have the problem since I used all the ones earned at the end of 2017. But I think that next year, I'll have to start a spreadsheet since I'll have double the number (with my wife getting to 1K too).
Old Sep 3, 2018, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Thank both! I am definitely in the AC system - just checked. My outbound flight originated from YYZ and had TSA Pre on all my BPs (YYZ-SFO via AC and SFO-TPE via UA); ironically, I had no needs for them since I did not need to recheck at SFO since I precleared at YYZ.

Guess I was denied TSA Pre. Not a huge issue.
For the record and to close out, a gate agent handed me an AC boarding pass after doc ck. TSA Pre appears on the BP.

So this is an UA issue, it seems.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 12:33 pm

For the record and to close out, a gate agent handed me an AC boarding pass after doc ck. TSA Pre appears on the BP.

So this is an UA issue, it seems.
Now you know. Next time it happens, stop by the AC check-in counter. It's good that you came back to let us know as we'll be able to advise the next FTer it happens to.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Is the omission of TSA-Pre marking because it is a codeshare ticket?
Yes. Pre doesn't appear on the BP if the issuing airline is not the operating airline; as you did later, you needed to get a reprint from the operating airline (AC). This even extends to the absurd situation where I checked in at the LH counter in FRA and my FRA-ORD (LH) had Pre on it, but the LH-issued BP for my UA domestic connection did not. In that case I just used my mobile BP in the UA app.

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
MODS - not sure this is possible but thought I would ask. I am often looking at the seat maps and have to go searching for them and my search technique leaves much to be desired. My son calls me technology challenged.

I love the seat Wikis but was wondering if it may be possible to have a Sticky for the Seat Wikis in the top section that contains links to each seat Wiki?
Not sure if this is entirely up to date, but you're looking for: Consolidated Where to Sit on a United Plane Threads

Thanks for any tips.
1) Correct.
2) Usually yes; you will only be able to "check in" on the app after the non-UA coupon is lifted though (for purposes of getting E+ as silver, etc).
3) I would not be super comfortable with that connection unless the LAX connection was long enough to recover, but it's not impossible. If there is a misconnect, it is AC's obligation to re-route you all the way to AKL, but if you have UA status it's probably much easier to ask UA for help (assuming they issued the ticket).
4) If it's an 016 ticket then all of the segments will show up in the app.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:22 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle

That may not be doable but thought I would ask.

TIA
This has been asked for before, at which point someone started the thread that findark points you to below, alas Mods elected not to sticky it.

While FT search is really poor (as noted by Google search being one of the options offered on FT), but these seat maps aren't all that hard to find. If all else fails, try Google Advanced search where you can specially FlyerTalk.com as the only domain to search. You can even narrow it down to a certain forum, but I forgot how to do that. Google.com/advanced_search is what will find stuff on FT that is hard to find ^

Originally Posted by findark
Yes. Pre doesn't appear on the BP if the issuing airline is not the operating airline; as you did later, you needed to get a reprint from the operating airline (AC). This even extends to the absurd situation where I checked in at the LH counter in FRA and my FRA-ORD (LH) had Pre on it, but the LH-issued BP for my UA domestic connection did not. In that case I just used my mobile BP in the UA app.

Not sure if this is entirely up to date, but you're looking for: Consolidated Where to Sit on a United Plane Threads

1) Correct.
2) Usually yes; you will only be able to "check in" on the app after the non-UA coupon is lifted though (for purposes of getting E+ as silver, etc).
3) I would not be super comfortable with that connection unless the LAX connection was long enough to recover, but it's not impossible. If there is a misconnect, it is AC's obligation to re-route you all the way to AKL, but if you have UA status it's probably much easier to ask UA for help (assuming they issued the ticket).
4) If it's an 016 ticket then all of the segments will show up in the app.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:31 pm

I do the Google search the simple way. I just write: Flyertalk and United and whatever subject I'm interested in. In the case above, the whatever subject I'm interested in would be: where to sit on a 772 or where to sit on a 767, etc. Gets results in a few seconds.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
[

1) Correct.
[b]3) I would not be super comfortable with that connection unless the LAX connection was long enough to recover, but it's not impossible. If there is a misconnect, it is AC's obligation to re-route you all the way to AKL, but if you have UA status it's probably much easier to ask UA for help (assuming they issued the ticket).
4) If it's an 016 ticket then all of the segments will show up in the app.[/QUOTE]

thanks for that, there is plenty of options (on UA for example) to get to LAX in time (as its early morning departure out of Halifax and late evening out of LAX) to make my LAX flight. It will be a UA ticket.

So to clarify, if AC gets me into BOS late and I miss my connection, they are responsible for re-routing to AKL? I do not have UA or AC status unfortunately.

I do have an option of the return journey via SFO and just involving UA with longer connection times which is probably safer bet - but was hoping to catch up with a friend in LAX. Maybe I am answering my own query - I had checkin/boarding issues with AC last time I flew back from Halifax and all flights in that case were on AC!
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
thanks for that, there is plenty of options (on UA for example) to get to LAX in time as its early morning departure out of Halifax and late evening out of LAX to make my LAX flight.

So to clarify, if AC gets me into BOS late and I miss my connection, they are responsible for re-routing to AKL? I do not have UA or AC status unfortunately.
Yes, the contractual obligation is that AC, as the late-delivering carrier, must re-route you to your next ticketed stopover or destination. UA also tends to be very helpful during IRROPS on UA-issued tickets, even if it is not their job to help you. Even with no UA status, if you misconnect I would just approach whichever airline seems easier to engage (BOS is neither a UA hub nor an AC hub, so I'm not sure here).

As long as there other BOS-LAX options if you miss your ticketed flight, I would worry less about the connection. The standard rule of thumb is it's not just how risky the connection is, it's what happens if you miss. Almost any legal connection has 50-50 or better odds; if it was connecting to BOS-EWR, I would happily accept any legal connection; if the consequence is missing the last chance to get the TPAC and blowing an important meeting in AKL, then it's a whole new story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.