Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eyi
I've recently upgraded economy class tickets from LAX-NRT for 30,000 miles and $550 one-way. I'm a newbie at this, and am just wondering what most think about this strategy? Do you think it's worth it? I think I ended up paying just over $1050 & 30,000 points for one way in business. I feel like maybe this isn't a good deal. I'm curious for your thoughts on this.

I once paid $2100 for RT bus from SFO - LHR on BA and that was with no points out. So in comparison, the UA upgrade seems like it's not a good deal...

Thoughts?
Miles + copay upgrades aren't usually a great deal, as United will often offer a cash upgrade price that's not that much more than the copay. For example, if the LAX-NRT flight is lightly loaded, a buyup of $900 or $1000 wouldn't be out of the question. However, there's definitely something to be said for having secured the upgrade in advance and not having to worry about UA deciding to charge an arm and a leg.

Comparing LAX-NRT to SFO-LHR is a fool's errand, though. For one thing, airfare is priced based on the route, not based on the length of the flights, so there's no obvious correlation between LAX-NRT and SFO-LHR. $2000 is an excellent sale price for SFO-LHR, but that's what it is -- a sale, not usually available, and not really a good baseline to use as a comparison.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:48 pm
eyi

Originally Posted by jsloan
Miles + copay upgrades aren't usually a great deal, as United will often offer a cash upgrade price that's not that much more than the copay. For example, if the LAX-NRT flight is lightly loaded, a buyup of $900 or $1000 wouldn't be out of the question. However, there's definitely something to be said for having secured the upgrade in advance and not having to worry about UA deciding to charge an arm and a leg.

Comparing LAX-NRT to SFO-LHR is a fool's errand, though. For one thing, airfare is priced based on the route, not based on the length of the flights, so there's no obvious correlation between LAX-NRT and SFO-LHR. $2000 is an excellent sale price for SFO-LHR, but that's what it is -- a sale, not usually available, and not really a good baseline to use as a comparison.
Thanks, that's very helpful! And confirms what I thought. Not a great deal, but at least it's a confirmed upgrade.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by eyi
I've recently upgraded economy class tickets from LAX-NRT for 30,000 miles and $550 one-way. I'm a newbie at this, and am just wondering what most think about this strategy? Do you think it's worth it? I think I ended up paying just over $1050 & 30,000 points for one way in business. I feel like maybe this isn't a good deal. I'm curious for your thoughts on this.

I once paid $2100 for RT bus from SFO - LHR on BA and that was with no points out. So in comparison, the UA upgrade seems like it's not a good deal...

Thoughts?
The typical offer reported by FlyerTalk members from mainland US to NRT on UA is around $1000 (see Upgrade Offer Spreadsheet). I find it somewhat surprising you were able to get a confirmed MUA for LAX-NRT since availability on INTL flights tends to be very limited. I'd be curious to see what the cash upgrade offer was back then.That being said YMMV on these upgrades with some members reporting the lowest offer being several thousand dollars. I wouldn't necessarily say it's a bad deal, if we take the conservative estimate of $1000, then your 30,000 miles was worth around $450 or about 1.5 cents per mile which is about the market rate for those miles. In other words, it wasn't an amazing redemption but you didn't throw anything away and at the end of the day isn't the whole point of the exercise getting a confirmed upgrade?

Safe Travels,

James
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
I find it somewhat surprising you were able to get a confirmed MUA for LAX-NRT since availability on INTL flights tends to be very limited.
LAX-NRT is one of the easier upgrades to confirm in the system, actually. There is a ton of competition on that route.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
For reservations with a companion:

If I decline to split the reservation at checkin, will that remove us from the upgrade list for the return segments?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:29 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BThumme
For reservations with a companion:

If I decline to split the reservation at checkin, will that remove us from the upgrade list for the return segments?
Yes
If the return is a support upgrade request there will be no problem. If a CPU request, you will have to call -- good chance the agent will struggle with this and need help for a more experienced employee (a supervisor or web support).
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes
If the return is a support upgrade request there will be no problem. If a CPU request, you will have to call -- good chance the agent will struggle with this and need help for a more experienced employee (a supervisor or web support).
So am I getting this correct (I don't have many experiences with r/t's with a companion).

Flying DTW-ORD-SAN and back. ORD-SAN is not going to clear for 2 of us it looks like. At checkin, if I split the reservation, gf and I are on the UG list, but separated (she will go to bottom of the 1K list...probably next to me now that I think about it). Return (SAN-ORD-DTW) CPU's stay in tact. Downside is that there's a chance we get split up (my ug clearing, not hers), although maybe I can just ask GA not to be cleared?

If I decline to split, we stay together ORD-SAN, but then no automatic CPU (if possible) SAN-ORD-DTW without talking to SAN GA. That seems like a bit of a hassle, and the possibility of losing out on the upgrade (currently R9) on the redeye makes me a bit anxious.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:21 pm

So am I getting this correct (I don't have many experiences with r/t's with a companion).

Flying DTW-ORD-SAN and back. ORD-SAN is not going to clear for 2 of us it looks like. At checkin, if I split the reservation, gf and I are on the UG list, but separated (she will go to bottom of the 1K list...probably next to me now that I think about it). Return (SAN-ORD-DTW) CPU's stay in tact. Downside is that there's a chance we get split up (my ug clearing, not hers), although maybe I can just ask GA not to be cleared?

If I decline to split, we stay together ORD-SAN, but then no automatic CPU (if possible) SAN-ORD-DTW without talking to SAN GA. That seems like a bit of a hassle, and the possibility of losing out on the upgrade (currently R9) on the redeye makes me a bit anxious.
My understanding of PNR splits is that you'd only want to do that in the event there's one seat available at the gate, then if the PNR is split your upgrade would clear. From the upgrade priority standpoint you and her would have equal priority (since same PNR) and be on the same position on the list. Based on what you're saying it might make sense to leave the PNRs alone and see what the buy up offers are during OLCI since you want an all-or-nothing upgrade experience.

On a side note, there's a wonderful LH lounge at DTW that's located near gate 8 and has a decent selection of food and booze. The good news is that since the lounge is operated by LH and not UA, you and your significant other (guest) will have access to that lounge while flying domestically on UA. Hours are 11 AM to 8:30 PM (last I checked). Hopefully that'll take some of the edge off that itinerary! There's also an LX and SK lounge at ORD in Terminal 5, which I doubt you'll have enough time to access since that involves terminal changes and re-clearing security. Further details on these *A lounges UA domestic travellers can access can be found here.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm pretty sure this is backwards. If you decline to split, you shouldn't have any problems with upgrades clearing on the return, because you'll still be on the same PNR.

If you do split, that's when some people have reported issues with the upgrades on the return.

It's a pain for the agent to get you back into Y if you decline the upgrade after clearing, so I agree that it's better if you can get the gate agent's attention first.

My understanding of PNR splits is that you'd only want to do that in the event there's one seat available at the gate, then if the PNR is split your upgrade would clear. From the upgrade priority standpoint you and her would have equal priority (since same PNR) and be on the same position on the list.
That's not how it works. You can't get onto the gate list without splitting the PNR, as the gate upgrade process can only handle one-passenger PNRs. During check-in, it will ask you if you want to waitlist for the upgrade and split the reservation. The two are linked. As for being next to each other on the list -- YMMV. That would make sense, but it's definitely not always the way it works.

Hours are 11 AM to 8:30 PM (last I checked).
The hours vary. The *A site has them listed as 0500-2030 M-Sa and 1100-2030 Su, but I'm pretty sure I've been there for evening departures and found the lounge already closed, so I'm guessing these might be seasonal. I agree that it's a good place to wait for the flight though.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 8:36 am

On a side note, there's a wonderful LH lounge at DTW that's located near gate 8 and has a decent selection of food and booze. The good news is that since the lounge is operated by LH and not UA, you and your significant other (guest) will have access to that lounge while flying domestically on UA. Hours are 11 AM to 8:30 PM (last I checked).
Thanks James, very familiar with the LH lounge. They actually open about 530am, so I'll definitely be there before my flight.

Originally Posted by jsloan
I'm pretty sure this is backwards. If you decline to split, you shouldn't have any problems with upgrades clearing on the return, because you'll still be on the same PNR.

If you do split, that's when some people have reported issues with the upgrades on the return.
Okay, that makes sense (and I think contradicts the previous answer I got). That's why I had asked if declining to split would remove all CPU requests in the itinerary. I will just wait until the very last minute and decide what's better to do based on the status - no use in splitting if it books up/people buy up. Current buyup offer is $219. Not horrible for a 4 hour flight, but I'd rather have $440.

I did get the redeye upgrades SAN-ORD for us, but don't like getting into ORD at 4am and leaving at 8am, so am eyeing a SDC to IAD (and that's why it's just easier to have one PNR).

Thanks guys.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
Do I get priority boarding and a free checked bag if I use my UA card to book in basic economy? What about my UA authorized user?
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:56 am

For flights operated to/from the US, is there a legally mandated timeframe for an airline to finalize a delayed/damaged baggage claim and provide compensation? I couldn't find such a timeframe on the DoT's website. My claim has taken a couple of months now, which is quite frustrating.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmailKid
No, BE overrides any card benefits.
This is false. OP absolutely gets a free checked bag and priority boarding on a BE fare. The rules are specific about it.

Q: If my MileagePlus credit card qualifies for priority boarding benefits, will those benefits apply on Basic Economy tickets?
A:
Yes, if you are a primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card at the time of check-in and you provided your MileagePlus number when purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you and travel companions on the same reservation will maintain your boarding priority and be allowed to bring a full-sized carry-on bag on board if space permits.

Q: What is my checked baggage allowance when I buy a Basic Economy ticket?
A:
Basic Economy tickets have the same checked baggage allowance as standard Economy tickets, with the allowance based on your flight and MileagePlus status, but will include an additional gate handling charge for customers who check baggage at the gate. Customers with a baggage subscription will still receive their checked bag allowance. Please see the Checked Baggage page for more information.
OP: You will get one free checked bag for yourself and 1 other person on the reservation, and you will get priority boarding for the entire reservation. An authorized user, not traveling with you, won't get any benefits.

Originally Posted by rjs11
For flights operated to/from the US, is there a legally mandated timeframe for an airline to finalize a delayed/damaged baggage claim and provide compensation? I couldn't find such a timeframe on the DoT's website. My claim has taken a couple of months now, which is quite frustrating.
No, but if it's taken a couple of months and you're not getting satisfaction, file a DOT complaint. It's painless -- you can do it via an online form and it only takes a few minutes. I can't think of any reason it should take that long.
mgmsteven and akcae like this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Not sure if this is an UA specific issue, or industry wide.

Flying the following connection: TPE-SFO on UA and SFO-YYZ on AC (UA codeshare). TSA Pre is printed on the TPE-SFO segment, but not on the SFO-YYZ. UA agents do not know how to fix. TSA agents insisted I don't have TSA Pre because it's not on the ticket SFO-YYZ UA ticket.

In hindsight, after CBP reentry into US, I should have gone to the AC check-in desk and asked for a AC boarding pass before going through security at SFO. I had just thought TSA-Pre would be printed on all of your boarding passes.

Also, because of the TPE-SFO arrival time, I could have gotten on AC758 instead of the AC738; getting stuck on TSA lines dashed any hope.

Is the omission of TSA-Pre marking because it is a codeshare ticket?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Is the omission of TSA-Pre marking because it is a codeshare ticket?
It could be if AC doesn't have your Trusted Traveler information. The operating airline needs that information, not the marketing airline.

Originally Posted by Repooc17
TSA agents insisted I don't have TSA Pre because it's not on the ticket SFO-YYZ UA ticket.
And they are 100% correct. You're never guaranteed to get the TSA-Pre designation even if you qualify. They do randomize it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.