Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:08 am

New Global Entry / Pre Check member - updating United profile

So I updated my existing reservation with my Global Entry PASS/ID number. There wasn't any confirmation that it accepted it and I see no change to my reservation. When I go to print a boarding pass, I know it *should* show Pre but do I have to wait until my flight to get that confirmation that my info was accepted?

Note: I have reviewed the FAQs for both Global Entry and Pre Check but it doesn't answer my question.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:45 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by zitsky
So I updated my existing reservation with my Global Entry PASS/ID number. There wasn't any confirmation that it accepted it and I see no change to my reservation. When I go to print a boarding pass, I know it *should* show Pre but do I have to wait until my flight to get that confirmation that my info was accepted?

Note: I have reviewed the FAQs for both Global Entry and Pre Check but it doesn't answer my question.
Yes, you will have to wait for the flight and look at your BP as there is no confirmation per se but did you go back in to your reservation and look at your traveler details to see if your GE number is showing? Also, if you haven't done so already, you should also add it to your permanent UA profile as I don't know if your GE number will cross-populate from your reservation to your profile (and even it is supposed to do just that, I wouldn't trust UA's I/T to do it )
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by goalie
Yes, you will have to wait for the flight and look at your BP as there is no confirmation per se but did you go back in to your reservation and look at your traveler details to see if your GE number is showing? Also, if you haven't done so already, you should also add it to your permanent UA profile as I don't know if your GE number will cross-populate from your reservation to your profile (and even it is supposed to do just that, I wouldn't trust UA's I/T to do it )
Ok added to my profile and the reservation. I see it should populate from the profile. The number shows in reservation and profile. Just wish there was some confirmation.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:14 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Ok added to my profile and the reservation. I see it should populate from the profile. The number shows in reservation and profile. Just wish there was some confirmation.
And fwiw, if you don't get pre-check when you check-in, when you get to the airport, have an agent re-enter (or remove and re-enter) your GE number and then re-print your BP and as there have been reports of folks not getting pre-check at check-in but then getting after an agent re-enters your GE number (tho I don't know if the agent also has to un-check you in and then re-check you in [which could screw up your place on the upgrade list as one of the tie-breakers is time of check-in])
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by goalie
And fwiw, if you don't get pre-check when you check-in, when you get to the airport, have an agent re-enter (or remove and re-enter) your GE number and then re-print your BP and as there have been reports of folks not getting pre-check at check-in but then getting after an agent re-enters your GE number (tho I don't know if the agent also has to un-check you in and then re-check you in [which could screw up your place on the upgrade list as one of the tie-breakers is time of check-in])
Ok. I might want to check a bag on my next trip. So I have a reason to see an agent to get that fixed if it doesn't work.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM

GE/PreCheck and Existing Reservations - do I need to do anything additional?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:23 pm

I have an itinerary that starts with a coach segment then is Polaris the rest of the way. I might check in a bag and might need to have a boarding pass reprinted. (First time Pre check access.) When checking in at the airport (RDU), will I have any luck trying to check in at the first/business/polaris check-in counter, or should I just go to the regular coach check-in? Does it depend on the airport? RDU is my home airport. I only recall checking in once in 9 years and then it was for a flight in coach.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I have an itinerary that starts with a coach segment then is Polaris the rest of the way. I might check in a bag and might need to have a boarding pass reprinted. (First time Pre check access.) When checking in at the airport (RDU), will I have any luck trying to check in at the first/business/polaris check-in counter, or should I just go to the regular coach check-in? Does it depend on the airport? RDU is my home airport. I only recall checking in once in 9 years and then it was for a flight in coach.
If there's a first/business/polaris check-in counter, you can use that.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
If there's a first/business/polaris check-in counter, you can use that.
Thank you! I will try that.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
1K baggage allowance

Hello. 1K flying in Jan2019 from PHL to IAD connecting to TK to IST.
As 1K, am I not entitled to three checked bags each up to 32kgs? Previously, was allowed three bags; have regs recently changed? Thanks
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cagcag
Hello. 1K flying in Jan2019 from PHL to IAD connecting to TK to IST.
As 1K, am I not entitled to three checked bags each up to 32kgs? Previously, was allowed three bags; have regs recently changed? Thanks
Should be 3x70 when checking in with UA. Your return flight would be different.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Should be 3x70 when checking in with UA. Your return flight would be different.
jsloan, thanks as always fir your prompt and thorough responses. You have been helpful to me and the FT Community, for which I thank you again.
jsloan and mgmsteven like this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: Marriott, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold, SWA, United, British Air, Jet Blue, Alaska
Ebay/Paypal/United

I'm trying to understand if an Ebay gift card can create a Paypal balance and then use that balance to purchase a United ticket?
If that is possible, can gift card balances be loaded, or is it just the leftover balance after you purchase something on Ebay?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA Silver
No more seat changes in app under 24 hrs?

Silver w/ UA, fly about 4-8 times domestically per month. Until the last few weeks, I could use the app to change my seat after check in, right up until being at the gate shortly before the flight.

This functionality no longer seems to work. I can take the free PE seat selection when I check in, but after that, no changes work.

Anyone else notice this? Any word on whether it's policy, permanent, etc?

I found it very handy for going from a middle in PE to a window once some folks had been upgraded to Business.

Thanks.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JustBreathe
Anyone else notice this? Any word on whether it's policy, permanent, etc?
You should be able to change your seat from within “Travel Options” in the app. If you try it from the reservation itself, the changes tend not to stick.

BTW — probably best not to refer to E+ as “PE,” especially now that United is actually in the process of rolling out a Premium Economy product. It may confuse some people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.