Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Infrequent UA flyer here, flying PHL-ORD-YVR tomorrow. My PHL-ORD flight, UA2209, is in XN class (coach) and my ORD-YVR flight, AC8041, is in I class (business). Will I have lounge access in PHL and/or ORD?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by travelmad478
Infrequent UA flyer here, flying PHL-ORD-YVR tomorrow. My PHL-ORD flight, UA2209, is in XN class (coach) and my ORD-YVR flight, AC8041, is in I class (business). Will I have lounge access in PHL and/or ORD?
With no Star Alliance status, you will not have access at PHL but will have United Club access (but not Polaris Lounge) at ORD.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
With no Star Alliance status, you will not have access at PHL but will have United Club access (but not Polaris Lounge) at ORD.
Thanks very much for the quick reply. I have a couple of free United Club passes so will pull one out for my stay in PHL.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:39 pm

I'm pretty sure that the answer is "Wait until the complete trip is done before worrying about it", but...

I recently flew the first leg of a multi-city itinerary. First leg booked in W and upgraded with a GPU and second leg booked in Z. The mileage accrual information on my eTicket said that this first leg should be 308 PQD and 3388 award miles. However, I actually got 847 award miles and 77 PQD (note that I don't live in the US, so the PQD don't actually matter). Should I assume that my second leg (return home but from a different city than my arrival city), should see higher than expected award miles/PQD such that my total remains the same as shown in my eTicket (and what would be expected based on the ticket cost)?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by frontenac551
I'm pretty sure that the answer is "Wait until the complete trip is done before worrying about it", but...
Yes

Originally Posted by frontenac551
I recently flew the first leg of a multi-city itinerary. First leg booked in W and upgraded with a GPU and second leg booked in Z. The mileage accrual information on my eTicket said that this first leg should be 308 PQD and 3388 award miles. However, I actually got 847 award miles and 77 PQD (note that I don't live in the US, so the PQD don't actually matter). Should I assume that my second leg (return home but from a different city than my arrival city), should see higher than expected award miles/PQD such that my total remains the same as shown in my eTicket (and what would be expected based on the ticket cost)?
Yes, this is not uncommon -- just worry about ticket PQD totals and not posted PQDs for individual segments
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
So most of the time my son flies on my miles but he does have a mileage balance that expires in 2019. I would normally purchase some flowers or similar to have some miles added to his account before the miles expire but I am curious whether I need to do this as he is 1K due to being my MM nominee. Do his miles expire if he requalifies as 1K each year due to MM status, so lifetime gold?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Do his miles expire if he requalifies as 1K each year due to MM status, so lifetime gold?
Yes.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA G, *G, Global Entry, Marriott, Hilton, Fairmont, Hyatt, Starwood etc
Fare penalty for multi-city search?

I spent a LOT of time over the weekend on the site and with agents trying to hash out a complicated itinerary. At one point, I was told by an agent that if she searched by my criteria (a multi-city search because preferred connecting cities varied inbound-outbound) that the price would be higher.

Is there any truth to this? I often find that to easily find a particular routing I HAVE to do a multi-city search or my choice will not appear or it will be buried in pages and pages of less desirable options.

I can't just exclude either of the cities (although I can exclude known bad connectors) or it wouldn't show up at all.

SO, does anyone know whether what the agent was saying is true, or was she perhaps trying to reduce the burden of the request?

Also, I got the impression several times that the agents were combing through the exact same mess of options that I was (one of them said "four pages here" and seemed to be sorting out non-long haul upgrade award option connections just as I was.)(she suggested some bizarre choices that I had already seen and discarded. I couldn't seem to just tell her what I wanted and have her punch it in and give me a fare.)

Do they in fact use the exact same software that we use to find flights/fares? Just wondering.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by landrew
I spent a LOT of time over the weekend on the site and with agents trying to hash out a complicated itinerary. At one point, I was told by an agent that if she searched by my criteria (a multi-city search because preferred connecting cities varied inbound-outbound) that the price would be higher.

Is there any truth to this? ...
pricing itins via multi-city can be
1) Higher
2) lower
3) the same (+- a tax/ security fee / airport fee difference)

It is usually one of the above

I have seen all
Fare rules and fare combinability are one of the more convoluted concepts mankind has derived

I often find that to easily find a particular routing I HAVE to do a multi-city search or my choice will not appear or it will be buried in pages and pages of less desirable options.

I can't just exclude either of the cities (although I can exclude known bad connectors) or it wouldn't show up at all. ...
The use the filters do not change the results, it just eliminates their display

Multi-city searches are truly different searches
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
At one point, I was told by an agent that if she searched by my criteria (a multi-city search because preferred connecting cities varied inbound-outbound) that the price would be higher.
No that's not correct. It may be more expensive, or it may not, depending on the fare rules. The issue is whether the itinerary prices as a through-fare or end-on-end.

Have you tried putting the itinerary together using googleflights and then clicking through to book?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Paid or award? If award, true.

If paid, searching as multi-city may sometimes yield different results due to a bug in how the UA website validates inventory. However, in principle, it should always be the same. Agents have the ability to manually construct an itinerary in SHARES and submit it for auto-pricing; simply do it yourself in ITA Matrix and feed them each segment (departure date, origin, destination, flight number, booking code, in that order) and the computer will price it.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
However, in principle, it should always be the same.
Well, it depends upon a lot of factors. If the fare can be priced as a through fare, then, yes, it shouldn't matter. But that doesn't mean that you can fly YVR-YYZ-ATL-IAH-SEA for the same price as YVR-SEA. "Preferred connecting cities" (from the OP) could be a red flag.

I do agree that if an itinerary is returned by an origin to destination search, it should be priced the same if you find the same itinerary via multi-city search; however, the auto-pricing engine isn't perfect.

OP: I had something similar happen once, when the agent was clearly unhappy with my flight choices, somehow managed to price it improperly, and basically left me feeling like I'd somehow been the worst caller of her day. I told her I wasn't interested, took a couple of deep breaths, called back and got a better agent who was happy to price the fare the way I wanted it. (Well, I got shy about a couple of the connections and tried to simplify them. But it was basically the way I wanted it, anyway. Long story short: HUCA.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
I do agree that if an itinerary is returned by an origin to destination search, it should be priced the same if you find the same itinerary via multi-city search; however, the auto-pricing engine isn't perfect.
Yeah, that's what I meant

Originally Posted by jsloan
OP: I had something similar happen once, when the agent was clearly unhappy with my flight choices, somehow managed to price it improperly, and basically left me feeling like I'd somehow been the worst caller of her day. I told her I wasn't interested, took a couple of deep breaths, called back and got a better agent who was happy to price the fare the way I wanted it. (Well, I got shy about a couple of the connections and tried to simplify them. But it was basically the way I wanted it, anyway. Long story short: HUCA.
Every once in a while something goes wrong when I have an agent key in a whole itinerary.. I usually assume it's that the agent didn't type it in correctly when it doesn't price, but whatever it is HUCA fixes it right up. I have to do this for basically every LH E fare I was to GPU, so I have a good bit of practice (also doing the same with Chase/Citi TAs to get 016 GPUable tickets)
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:07 am

I just got an award ticket for VIE-EWR (one way because I'm flying on BA for EWR-VIE). It's an economy ticket, class X. On the United receipt, it says I get a checked bag for free, but when I use the Austrian number and look up the booking, I get this ugly response:

"Your booked fare includes 1 piece of hand luggage only!"

Who's right? And is this what's happening now, that award tickets for economy for other airlines gets the worst possible class so I'd have to pay for checked bags?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
On X class with OS, you get 1 free checked bag (+1 more if you are *G). So UA is right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.