Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmailKid
While I'm unable to find your flight (on a random date), I can almost guarantee you that there WILL be a plane change. Probably same flight number (married segments?), but change of planes.
Not "married segments," but rather a direct flight (with an enroute stop).

The chances that it is the same plane are exactly the same as it would be if the flight numbers changed. There is no advantage to booking a direct flight in terms of making your connection.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:41 pm
RNE

While I'm unable to find your flight (on a random date), I can almost guarantee you that there WILL be a plane change.
December 29.

However, when booking it you should see same seatmap for both flights showing the occupied seats for BOTH legs.
What you're saying only makes sense if the same plane flies both legs. Are you suggesting the "plane change" notation is incorrect?

Originally Posted by findark
Today's UA763 was operated by a 738 on CLE-DEN and a 739 on DEN-SAN, so it could theoretically also involve a change of gauge too.
I agree. All the more reason for there to be two seat maps, not one.

Originally Posted by jsloan
There is no advantage to booking a direct flight in terms of making your connection.
Thanks, but I'm not concerned about my connection. I'm concerned about seat selection. Again, if there are two planes, why is there only one seat map?

RNE, suspecting the "plane change" notation is a proviso UA puts on all direct flights without regard to specific direct flights; it's a catch-all. Perhaps it should say "may require a plane change." And if so, a second seat map would be displayed.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:52 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by RNE

RNE, suspecting the "plane change" notation is a proviso UA puts on all direct flights without regard to specific direct flights; it's a catch-all. Perhaps it should say "may require a plane change." And if so, a second seat map would be displayed.
There is no specific aircraft assigned for those flights on Dec 29, and the two segments show different seat occupied (FC empty on both legs).

Again, if you use multi city, it shows two different seatmaps. You may be charged $5 extra landing fee is booked as multi city.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RNE
Thanks, but I'm not concerned about my connection. I'm concerned about seat selection. Again, if there are two planes, why is there only one seat map?
Because that's yet another downside of direct flights. They cause havoc for seat assignments. The through flight seat map should show only the seats that are available on both legs for advance assignment. The island hopper works the same way.

Originally Posted by RNE
You're putting way too much thought into this. Whether it's one plane or two, you'd have all the same issues with the seat map; you'd still have passengers flying SAN-DEN and others flying DEN-CLE.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:20 pm
RNE

There is no specific aircraft assigned for those flights on Dec 29, and the two segments show different seat occupied (FC empty on both legs).
So, you're seeing two seat maps that are different? Therefore, in theory, one could determine what the two aircraft might be based on their seat layout? My real question is, how do I select over-wing exit seats that are not the ones father's back? I want to have E+ people sitting behind me, not E-.

Edit: I want to select seats in Row 20 because Row 21 is E+. If I select, say seats 20A&B, will I get those seats on both planes or maybe not? And how do I know both planes have the same Row 20/21 setup? (Yes, I know most 737s have that exit rows arrangement, but not all do, right?)

Last edited by RNE; Aug 10, 2018 at 1:36 pm Reason: Added details.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
So, you're seeing two seat maps that are different? Therefore, in theory, one could determine what the two aircraft might be based on their seat layout? My real question is, how do I select over-wing exit seats that are not the ones father's back? I want to have E+ people sitting behind me, not E-.
OK, now you are losing me. If it's Row 20 you want to avoid Kettles kicking your seatback at the cost of nonreclining seat, ALL six are available to select right now. Both legs, also visible / available on direct flight with DEN stop / maybe plane change.

Originally Posted by RNE

(Yes, I know most 737s have that exit rows arrangement, but not all do, right?)
Wrong, ALL Boeing and Airbus single aisle aircraft have bulkhead row 7* and exit row 21 with 20 being an exit row on A320 and NON 73G. One of few post mergers changes that I like

This far out frames may be substituted. Case in point, my carefully chosen 7A turned into 8A when UA swapped 738 for 739 with mid cabin lav. I doubt they would go from 739 to 73G or 319, but .....

* OK, there's the 739 with Bańo

Last edited by EmailKid; Aug 10, 2018 at 1:49 pm Reason: Adding personal example
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
OK, now you are losing me. If it's Row 20 you want to avoid Kettles kicking your seatback at the cost of nonreclining seat, ALL six are available to select right now. Both legs, also visible / available on direct flight with DEN stop / maybe plane change.

Wrong, ALL Boeing and Airbus single aisle aircraft have bulkhead row 7* and exit row 21 with 20 being an exit row on A320 and NON 73G. One of few post mergers changes that I like

This far out frames may be substituted. Case in point, my carefully chosen 7A turned into 8A when UA swapped 738 for 739 with mid cabin lav. I doubt they would go from 739 to 73G or 319, but .....

* OK, there's the 739 with Bańo
Actually, I flew in a newly configured 757-300 recently in the back exit row, which was row 23. So it looks like there may be at least one exception to this rule.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
Actually, I flew in a newly configured 757-300 recently in the back exit row, which was row 23. So it looks like there may be at least one exception to this rule.

Oh wow, totally missed this

Guess that is the new slimline config. Also added the two extra 7DE seats that PMUA had (IIRC) making old 7ABC now 8ABC.

I can only assume that they don't plan on swapping 73 for 75 like they did every once in a great while.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
In the new high density configuration, only true exit row is row 21. Row 23 is just a regular E+ row. 23 A&F do not have a seat in front of them.

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 757-300 Slimline (24F,54E+,156E-)
Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:15 pm
RNE

If it's Row 20 you want to avoid Kettles kicking your seatback at the cost of nonreclining seat...
Bingo!

...ALL six are available to select right now.
But there are 12 seats in Row 20 because there are two planes. I don't know how to select Row 20 seats for both flights.

P.S. Yes, I know equipment can be substituted at any time from now to the moment of departure and I know United could reassign my seats likewise, so nothing is certain. I get that. Still, I want to select my exit row seats now.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If you have a single seatmap in your reservation for CLE-SAN, selecting a seat will work for both flights at the same time. This is at the cost of being unable to select any seats which are occupied on either segment (CLE-DEN or DEN-SAN). None of this has any relation to whether there is a change of aircraft in DEN.

I believe that if there is a change to the assignment such that your direct flight has a change of gauge in DEN, then you will be able to select seats on each segment separately, but someone else should back me up on this.
RNE likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Bingo!

But there are 12 seats in Row 20 because there are two planes.
I don't know how to select Row 20 seats for both flights.

P.S. Yes, I know equipment can be substituted at any time from now to the moment of departure and I know United could reassign my seats likewise, so nothing is certain. I get that. Still, I want to select my exit row seats now.
OK, now I finally understand what you are trying to accomplish @:-)

Originally Posted by findark;30069621

If you have a single seatmap in your reservation for CLE-SAN, selecting a seat will work for both flights at the same time. This is at the cost of being unable to select any seats which are occupied on either segment (CLE-DEN or DEN-SAN). None of this has any relation to whether there is a change of aircraft in DEN
This.

Originally Posted by findark;30069621I [i
believe[/i] that if there is a change to the assignment such that your direct flight has a change of gauge in DEN, then you will be able to select seats on each segment separately, but someone else should back me up on this.
Yup, that should apply.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:25 am

Programs: SAS Diamond, UA Gold, Hilton Gold
Few Questions about PQM, booking mileage tickets/upgrades, purchasing tickets

Hi again, I was just wondering if having premier status, whether silver, gold etc gives you additional PQM when you fly or if the additional mi you accrue are just for the regular earning miles.

My second question involves when booking a ticket/upgrade using miles, I understand a mileage ticket doesn’t earn miles but if you pay for a ticket then upgrade with miles, can you earn any miles at all ?

and lastly, in the interest of maximizing my PQMs quickly, I’m just wondering if booking direct with United matters. Like if I’m booking the exact same itinerary, regardless of whether United or *A or both, would exact same itinerary booked on a 3rd party site, accrue the same mileage as booking direct with United would? Pricing is obviously different with 3rd party being cheaper than UA direct with all flights being equal.

Thank you!!!
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:39 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Shoredreamer
[left]Hi again, I was just wondering if having premier status, whether silver, gold etc gives you additional PQM when you fly or if the additional mi you accrue are just for the regular earning miles. ...
PQM earnings is unaffected by status.
RDM (award miles) might be affected by status when flying a few partners (AC, LH, NH, ...) and not on a UA 016 ticket.

My second question involves when booking a ticket/upgrade using miles, I understand a mileage ticket doesn’t earn miles but if you pay for a ticket then upgrade with miles, can you earn any miles at all ? ...
a paid ticket upgraded with miles, GPU, RPU or CPU earns RDMs / PQMs based on the original purchased fare -- unchanged by the upgrade

... , in the interest of maximizing my PQMs quickly, I’m just wondering if booking direct with United matters.....
PQM earning does not matter on ticket stock or from which airline the itin purchase (assuming we are comparing identical itins)
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi again, I was just wondering if having premier status, whether silver, gold etc gives you additional PQM when you fly or if the additional mi you accrue are just for the regular earning miles.

No additional PQMs, except that a Premier will get a 500 PQM minimum on short routes operated by some airlines, including UA.

My second question involves when booking a ticket/upgrade using miles, I understand a mileage ticket doesn’t earn miles but if you pay for a ticket then upgrade with miles, can you earn any miles at all ?
Yes.

and lastly, in the interest of maximizing my PQMs quickly, I’m just wondering if booking direct with United matters. Like if I’m booking the exact same itinerary, regardless of whether United or *A or both, would exact same itinerary booked on a 3rd party site, accrue the same mileage as booking direct with United would?
It depends upon why the price is different. In general, PQM are the same whether you purchase from United or from another airline. If you're seeing a different price because the underlying fare class is different, the earnings may be different too -- generally more of a problem in economy than in business, though. If it's a different price because the third-party airline is a consolidator, who buys tickets in bulk from United and then re-sells them, you'll want to read the rules carefully before purchase. Some (but not all) bulk tickets disallow earning miles. There's a thread regarding consolidators here: Purchasing UA tickets from consolidator agencies -- downsides, issues?

ETA: For brevity, I agree with what WineCountryUA wrote.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.