Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:15 pm

X Class question

I'm sure this has already been asked somewhere, but if I use points to buy a ticket (say, to Argentina), and the ticket is "X" class, is it possible to get a complimentary upgrade if I have platinum status? (I've never bought an award ticket before...only been with United for about 8 months.)

Last edited by SCWTDDS; Jul 16, 2018 at 1:16 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: HH, UA, BA, DL, Marriott,
I have a question about earning MileagePlus PQM on a LH ticket. I just made a reservation on the LH website for a trip from IAD to CPT via FRA, outbound in discounted premium economy (booking code N) and inbound in basic economy (booking code K). The chart on the mileage plus site indicates I should earn 100% PQM for miles flown in these booking classes. For award miles earned, the chart indicates I should earn 100% of the miles for the premium economy flights and 25% for the basic economy flights -- a total of about 12-13,000. But, the LH reservation indicates my mileage earning for the total trip will be roughly 5,000 miles, only about 25% of the total flown. I'm not that concerned about earning fewer award miles, but I do want to make sure I will earn the full 20,000 PQM's. Is there any way to verify my PQM earnings in advance of making the purchase on LH?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SCWTDDS
I'm sure this has already been asked somewhere, but if I use points to buy a ticket (say, to Argentina), and the ticket is "X" class, is it possible to get a complimentary upgrade if I have platinum status? (I've never bought an award ticket before...only been with United for about 8 months.)
Welcome to flyertalk! If you have one of the MileagePlus-branded credit cards in your name, you will be eligible for CPU on award tickets. However, there are no flights to Argentina that can be upgraded by CPU.

Originally Posted by tacoma
I have a question about earning MileagePlus PQM on a LH ticket. I just made a reservation on the LH website for a trip from IAD to CPT via FRA, outbound in discounted premium economy (booking code N) and inbound in basic economy (booking code K). The chart on the mileage plus site indicates I should earn 100% PQM for miles flown in these booking classes. For award miles earned, the chart indicates I should earn 100% of the miles for the premium economy flights and 25% for the basic economy flights -- a total of about 12-13,000. But, the LH reservation indicates my mileage earning for the total trip will be roughly 5,000 miles, only about 25% of the total flown. I'm not that concerned about earning fewer award miles, but I do want to make sure I will earn the full 20,000 PQM's. Is there any way to verify my PQM earnings in advance of making the purchase on LH?
And welcome to flyertalk to you too!

Don't worry about the summary LH gives you for award miles, etc. if you are crediting to UA.

This page states the determination for PQM and award miles:
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/Mar...spx?ItemId=298

edit: looks like 100% PQM for N and K class, 100% and 25% award for N and K.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: HH, UA, BA, DL, Marriott,
Thanks for your reply. I have generally been buying UA tickets but wanted to try LH economy plus and I think the only way to book that class is directly on LH. I will need these PQM's to earn Platinum level for the coming year.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 3:53 pm

Thanks for your reply. I have generally been buying UA tickets but wanted to try LH economy plus and I think the only way to book that class is directly on LH. I will need these PQM's to earn Platinum level for the coming year.
LH doesn't have an "economy plus"-they have a true premium economy product
Old Jul 16, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
You can get the ticket plated 016 by calling UA to book.. it's a somewhat involved process but if you are a US resident then it's a lot of PQD to give up.

This thread has more info.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:54 pm
Original Member

Location: Tucson, Southern Arizona, North America, Western Hemisphere, The Earth, a small planet in the solar system. Previously OnePass Infinite Platinum Elite, now over entitled 1K
I noticed something I hadn't seen before on the UA website notes for premier upgrades:

Premium cabin upgrades of any type are not allowed for Basic Economy (N) fares or Economy (first bag charge/no changes allowed) fares. This includes Complimentary Premier Upgrades

Another enhancement?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Old Gold
Another enhancement?
These are the new TATL "Light" fares that were introduced about a month ago, in combination with LH and AC.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:05 am

I don't have any status on UA, but I booked a Y class award ticket and I was hoping to upgrade to a J class ticket. Would they typically waive the $125 change fee like AA does?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Former 1P - I can't remember how anything works with ual
i have a mileage award ANC-SFO for 3pax and I need to cancel and pay to get miles redeposited into my accoung

i tried to cancel on iPhone app, which led to ual site on iPhone browser. It led to my reservation and when I clicked to cancel, I got a message that I have to call their Electronic Support Desk because my cancellation requires special attention

is there a better way to cancel this online without having to phone that electronic support desk? I fear it will require a lot of time to phone them. I prefer to avoid calling if possible.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rinipiyan
I don't have any status on UA, but I booked a Y class award ticket and I was hoping to upgrade to a J class ticket. Would they typically waive the $125 change fee like AA does?
No, the change fee is typically charged for moving from Y to J on an award ticket.

Originally Posted by gaobest
is there a better way to cancel this online without having to phone that electronic support desk? I fear it will require a lot of time to phone them. I prefer to avoid calling if possible.
In my experience, the "Electronic Support Desk" message means you really do have to call. It's never been exactly clear to me why it gets triggered, but I've never seen it go away on its own. Certainly, if it persists more than a day, you need to call.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:42 am

"No flames" please! We are planning IND-BCN in May 2019. Biz out/econ return. I've looked at all the carriers (and even departing out of ORD or Cincy instead) and find the fare difference to be inexplicable both across and within the carriers. I'm seeing anything from $2700 (AA) to $5000 (UA) for the same days and class of service. Our days are locked due to a cruise.

There is a suitable (not preferred) option on AA within our FIRM budget (the $2700). However, I'm curious if we should risk waiting to book in a few months? My preference would be UA due to having the most miles (no status) with them, but I'm also not happy with their 2+4+2 business option. (I flew it last year for $2800 and at the time thought it was fine - until I saw better hardware on other carriers.)

I have no insights as to whether rates will only increase (as I saw a couple of weeks ago at a rate of 30%!) or eventually lower? I'm a very risk-adverse person. Any insights are appreciated.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GuardMusic
I have no insights as to whether rates will only increase (as I saw a couple of weeks ago at a rate of 30%!) or eventually lower? I'm a very risk-adverse person. Any insights are appreciated.
Waiting always entails risk. However, UA rarely offers its best fares this far in advance. Its thinking is basically, "there will be plenty of time to offer discounts later if we need to do so." Typically, you'll see the best fares for mid-week travel, sometime between 3 weeks and 2 months in advance -- although some deep discount business class fares do require a 100- or 150- day advance purchase.

The 2-4-2 seating is being phased out internationally -- except that UA started using domestic 777s (with 2-4-2) on routes to some leisure European destinations, including BCN, this summer, and they may do so again next summer. Note that most UA 777s will be 10-across in coach by May.

Ultimately, $5K for a half-business, half-economy fare seems quite high, and I'd expect that it's more likely to go down than up. The bigger question -- and maybe one for the AA board -- is whether or not you can expect AA's fare to stick around if UA's doesn't drop to the price that you want. You might also ask how firm AA's schedules are and what their policies are for refunds in terms of a schedule change. On UA, you're quite likely to have a schedule change on anything that you purchase this far out, and if the times move by 2 hours or more, you can get a refund. If AA is similar, that would be a way for you to limit your downside risk: you could lock in AA, and then watch for a schedule change, which might give you the opportunity to switch to UA if their fares have come down.

Hope this helps.
GuardMusic likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by RNE
I'm a stickler about destroying documents, tags, etc. that have that information on them, to the point of garnering aluminum-foil-hat ridicule from TSMRSRNE. Speaking of whom, I only book family members on my itineraries, so I'm not concerned about malicious activity. However, I do worry about, say, an inexperienced in-law or nephew inadvertently affecting a reservation appearing on their/his UA page.
I have some RPUs that I will not use so have offered them to family. In reading the rules about how I can apply them, I realise that they (the family member) needs to give me their PNR and I go into their reservation to apply the RPU. I am clearly not going to do anything malicious and I'm not inexperienced, but still feel really weird asking for their PNR and accessing their reservation. I could do it by phone (still need their PNR, but at least not touching anything myself), but still weird.
RNE likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I was added as a standby pax - #1 on the list. Full flight, yet somehow at least two SBYs were removed from the list. Maybe they took them off the sby list?

At least one non-rev got a ticket, but I couldn't confirm whether he was on the list.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.