Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I am flying ATL-YYZ on Delta and they are offering vouchers to take a different flight.

If I accept their offer and convince them to book me on a UA flight, will the flight earn PQD? Or is it like a bulk fare?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by jsloan
I never noticed that clause before. Thank you for the correction; I'll remember that. And I hope that'll give you the opportunity to use the credit. ^

Hmm, maybe you were right.
I called in and the agent told me that it expires on date of issue. I reiterated the CoC. The agent just repeated herself that the issue date was date of issue.
I wrote into customer service to ask for a clarification of the CoC. They responded with a $300ECT. (My ticket value was probably $225 - $200fee)
I replied and asked again for clarification:
Originally Posted by me
Thank you, however, for future instances, can you clarify the meaning of the wording in the CoC?
Your CoC (Rule 7) states that a ticket "... will be valid for transportation for one year from the date on which transportation commences at the point of origin as designated on the original Ticket or, if no portion of the Ticket is used, one year from the date of issuance of the original or reissued Ticket, whichever is later. ."
I understand that if no portion is used, then the " if no portion of the Ticket is used, one year from the date of issuance" statement would apply. However, I used the first part of the ticket and am told that the date of issuance still applies.
When does "one year from the date on which transportation commences at the point of origin" apply?
Originally Posted by UA
That is if no portion of the ticket has been used. Since your ticket was used and then you cancelled a portion prior to departure, the date of issuance applies. Please see:

NOTE: Nonrefundable fares have no value after ticketed departure time. EXCEPTION: When the Passenger cancels the ticketed flight reservations prior to the ticketed departure time, the ticket will be valid for transportation for one year from the date of issuance of the original ticket and will be subject to any and all applicable change fees. Otherwise, the ticket has no value after ticketed departure time.
Their explanation seems to be exactly the opposite of the way I am understanding the clause.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 4:35 am

Programs: United Silver
Mutli City Question

Hi - I hope this qualifies as a "simple question" and I have posted in the right area. I currently have some business saver award tickets booked BOS-FCO via Zurich. We live outside of Dulles so being cautious, I planned to fly up night before, spend night at Boston hotel, then proceed onwards on a 5 PM flight. I have not been able to find Business Saver Awards from IAD to FCO. I noticed today that if I used the multi city option, it would let me fly IAD (530p) arrive BOS (640p), leave BOS (945p). Of course one delay leaving Iad could spoil everything. While it is a 3 hour layover, it also is a change of terminal at Boston.

Question - if I decided to book a multi city ticket, would my luggage be transferred between segments (meaning between IAD and BOS)?

Thank you!
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by David10225
I planned to fly up night before, spend night at Boston hotel, then proceed onwards on a 5 PM flight. I have not been able to find Business Saver Awards from IAD to FCO. I noticed today that if I used the multi city option, it would let me fly IAD (530p) arrive BOS (640p), leave BOS (945p). Of course one delay leaving Iad could spoil everything. While it is a 3 hour layover, it also is a change of terminal at Boston.

Question - if I decided to book a multi city ticket, would my luggage be transferred between segments (meaning between IAD and BOS)?

Thank you!
Yes, your luggage will be transferred if you book a multi-city trip. However, you be charged the mileage for IAD-BOS + BOS-FCO.

By keeping everything on one ticket, you're protected against delays and misconnection. If IAD-BOS were to be delayed, United would be responsible for getting you to FCO, perhaps by putting you on the UA flight to Zurich or by sending you through Newark directly to Rome.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by getagb
I am flying ATL-YYZ on Delta and they are offering vouchers to take a different flight.

If I accept their offer and convince them to book me on a UA flight, will the flight earn PQD? Or is it like a bulk fare?
should earn PQD
Old Apr 12, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Flying qro-iah-grr today. Qro-iah has a 3 hr delay right now so I rebooked to the later qro-iah flight thankfully via the app. The delay is due to maintenace. Qro Ga telling everyone she can’t do anything and to leave security and go back the ua counter for accommodations.

when I get to iah, can they/will they get me a food voucher if I ask (or even as a 1k)? I won’t miss my connection in IAH, so wondering if that’s an impact or not. I don’t have time to leave security here, wait in line for a voucher, then reclear security.

Where would I have better luck - UA CA desk or UA club if so? I’m worried that since I think officially I did an SDC (as opposed to a free change flight due to delay message) that maybe I inadvertently waived my right to a voucher?

Also find it hard to believe the gate agents here can’t reaccomdate people.

Last edited by BThumme; Apr 12, 2018 at 1:31 pm
Old Apr 12, 2018, 1:36 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Well,

you are in a different country (Queretaro, MX) with presumably contract employees. Outstations sometimes have one UA employee - maybe that one employee is at checkin counter.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BThumme
Flying qro-iah-grr today. Qro-iah has a 3 hr delay right now so I rebooked to the later qro-iah flight thankfully via the app. The delay is due to maintenace. Qro Ga telling everyone she can’t do anything and to leave security and go back the ua counter for accommodations.

when I get to iah, can they/will they get me a food voucher if I ask (or even as a 1k)? I won’t miss my connection in IAH, so wondering if that’s an impact or not. ....
While there may be regulations in Mexico, doubt UA will do anything for a 3 hour delay especially since you re-accommodated yourself and appears you will make it to your final destination ontime.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:21 pm

UA's partner award chart says intra-african J awards should be 35k, but all my searches result in the site asking for 45. Is 45 in error, or have they raised the price and not fixed their chart? I'll be very sad if it went up to 45!
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danielm
UA's partner award chart says intra-african J awards should be 35k, but all my searches result in the site asking for 45. Is 45 in error, or have they raised the price and not fixed their chart? I'll be very sad if it went up to 45!
Which chart are you looking at?

This one shows 45k (on p3), if I am following the lines correctly, and the interactive tool here also returns 45k for J (partner) going northern to central/southern Africa.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
UA's partner award chart says intra-african J awards should be 35k, but all my searches result in the site asking for 45.
35K on United metal (which doesn't exist), or 45K on partners.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The old chart was 35K each way for any intra-Africa award (not counting the Middle East). This was replaced in October of 2017.

The new chart is 30K each way for any award that stays within a single African region (or entirely within the Middle East), but 45K between Northern Africa and Central/Southern Africa.

Note that an award that connects through a different zone may be very difficult to price. What are your origin and destination?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
The old chart was 35K each way for any intra-Africa award (not counting the Middle East). This was replaced in October of 2017.

The new chart is 30K each way for any award that stays within a single African region (or entirely within the Middle East), but 45K between Northern Africa and Central/Southern Africa.

Note that an award that connects through a different zone may be very difficult to price. What are your origin and destination?

Ahh. I was just looking at the interactive tool, which says nothing about United-metal awards. Now I've seen that they've added small link above directing me to a PDF of charts. I've always used the interactive tool with no problems (and the economy rate is updated.) The sweet spot is gone. Thanks, all!
Old Apr 12, 2018, 11:38 pm

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
Air India ticket 098 how much UA miles will I get

Air India ticket starting with 098, economy class E (US-India) and Q (India-US), I'm United Silver, how many United Mileage Plus miles can I expect?

Thanks.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 11:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by raj_cl
Air India ticket starting with 098, economy class E (US-India) and Q (India-US), I'm United Silver, how many United Mileage Plus miles can I expect?

Thanks.
Assuming these are AI operated then for flights not on 016 tickets, Redeemable Award miles (RDMs) are based on miles travel. You need to review the tables on UA site for Air India which show

and for PQMs

Note UA page for AI has a typo, the second " Ticket number starts with "016" footnote4" (w/ footnote 4) is actually "Ticket number does not start with "016"footnote 4"

There is no bonus for status in either RDMs or PQMs.
And these flights will not earn any PQDs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.