Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Yes. You can potentially move a flight by days or even weeks if the right inventory is available.
Haha, I had no clue. Thanks!
Old Feb 17, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Historically, I've been able to get a companion added to the gate UG list by a GA close to departure even when on a different PNR (I'm on my own on my PNR, as is the companion). Tonight, failed to do that with several different agents. Is this no longer UA policy; was it always just a courtesy and not formal policy; or did it have something to do with the NRSA who's currently set to take the remaining seat in F on this flight and was standing about 2 feet from the podium?
Old Feb 17, 2018, 8:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sfo789
Is this no longer UA policy; was it always just a courtesy and not formal policy;
I don't believe it was ever policy, and I wouldn't be surprised if they couldn't even do it due to systems limitations these days.
sfo789 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:35 am

Programs: UA M+ Plat
mysterious itinerary change - really need to call?

I'm mid-PNR on a trip where I flew LH metal to Europe and have United metal on the way back. Was just logging in because it occurred to me I should try to apply an RPU to one of the legs on the return, and on the website my itinerary says "A modification has been made to your itinerary. Please contact United Reservations to have your ticket reissued." I've been on hold with the premier desk for 45 minutes now and losing patience. I can't see any changes on the itin (I compared against the original reservation e-mail), and there is no such warning appearing in the United app. I was able to apply the RPU on the return just fine. Basically, should I worry here?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ooofta
Basically, should I worry here?
No. It should resolve itself, and if it doesn't, they will clear it up at check-in.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
As a UA Silver what benefits can I expect on a UA-marketed, AC-operated flight? YUL-SFO transborder.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 2:20 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by ralphs
As a UA Silver what benefits can I expect on a UA-marketed, AC-operated flight? YUL-SFO transborder.
Um, pretty much none. You'd have to be *G in order to have what little benefits apply, mainly MLL access, extra / free checked luggage if that's your thing.
ralphs likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
I am booked on a flight from Singapore to Tokyo (by ANA) and then from Tokyo to New York (by United). There is a schedule change in the United flight, but honestly speaking it is only 30min change. I wonder what is the experience of being successful to changing the entire return flight to a later date, or just the leg (TOKYo - NEW YORK) to a later leg? Thanks!

I am 1K member, if this might be helpful?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:49 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Tommys888
I am booked on a flight from Singapore to Tokyo (by ANA) and then from Tokyo to New York (by United). There is a schedule change in the United flight, but honestly speaking it is only 30min change. I wonder what is the experience of being successful to changing the entire return flight to a later date, or just the leg (TOKYo - NEW YORK) to a later leg? Thanks!

I am 1K member, if this might be helpful?
If your scheduled departure or arrival time changes by 30 minutes or more, they will put you on a different flight with the same origin and destination, or give you a refund. They don’t have to give you a stopover in Tokyo, but if you can make an argument for why that fits your travel plans better (eg better connection to a train / bus, gives you full time at conference/meetings without sacrificing time at some other meeting), it wouldn’t be unheard of for the 1k desk to make it happen.

You also may be able to SDC to a later flight once the ANA flight departs (I haven’t looked at schedules).
Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:08 pm

How strict is UA's policy on PQD? I will achieve the 50,000 PQM required UA Gold in August, but will fall short in terms of PQD. Will they still grant me UA Gold? Or will they stand firm on the PQD requirement? Thanks a lot!

alextktan
Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:11 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by alextktan

How strict is UA's policy on PQD? I will achieve the 50,000 PQM required UA Gold in August, but will fall short in terms of PQD. Will they still grant me UA Gold? Or will they stand firm on the PQD requirement?
How short?

Because they are pretty strict.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
How strict is UA's policy on PQD? I will achieve the 50,000 PQM required UA Gold in August, but will fall short in terms of PQD. Will they still grant me UA Gold? Or will they stand firm on the PQD requirement? Thanks a lot!

alextktan
They are very strict on PQD, and occasionally have some leeway if you’re very over on PQD but slightly under on PQM.

If you want gold, consider buying a refundable ticket or buy up to a higher fare class. It may be cheaper than buying up to Gold at the beginning of 2019.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
How short?

Because they are pretty strict.
I don't know how short. Here's what I flew/will fly:
Feb 2018 IAD-LAX-SIN-LAX-IAD (UA) PQD: $964 PQM: 22116
Mar 2018 IAD-PEK-WUH-PEK-IAD (CA) PQD: $0 PQM: ???
Jun 2018 IAD-NRT-WUH (UA/NH) PQD: ??? PQM: ~7500
Aug 2018 SIN-NRT-IAD (UA/NH): PQD: ??? PQM: ~11000

Based on what I can see, I should have more than 50,000 PQM needed for UA Gold, but will fall short in terms of PQD, probably about $2500. I have a couple more domestic flights which I can earn more PQD, but not much. That's why I want to get the experts' opinions on how I should proceed. Should I contact UA to ask for a one-time courtesy waiver? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

alextktan
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Should I contact UA to ask for a one-time courtesy waiver?
I'd say that's way too much of a gap. Maybe if you're within $100, but certainly not $2500.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... Based on what I can see, I should have more than 50,000 PQM needed for UA Gold, but will fall short in terms of PQD, probably about $2500. ....
So over 40% short !! .... that is far too big of a gap, even $250 out of $6000 is probably too big. It is hardly worth stating a PQD requirement if UA was to waive such a large short fall.

See Will UA Grant 2018 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2017? for more discussion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.