Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BHM2017
Does anyone think there will be a United Polaris credit or any new United cards rolling out in 2018?
Yes, but it will only be available at ORD, and most of the features will be disabled. Rollout throughout the rest of the country should be completed by 2026.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 1:30 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by em32085
Hi all! Booking a flight from EWR (Newark) to BRU (Brussels) for April using awards miles from my MileagePlus Chase card. I really want to try the Polaris seats but have some questions as this is my first time:
- I found a seat for Business Saver Award at 60k miles + $26 -- Worth it? There is a 3hr layover in Geneva.
What is the equipment type on the EWR-GVA flight? If it's not a 77W or a newly-reconfigured 767 you won't have the new Polaris seats.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
I'm currently at HND flying to SIN, then onwards to the US.

HND to SIN is on NH but with a UA flight number on my ticket. Everything else is on UA metal.

When I checked in, I was told by the NH agent that the UA-issued ticket wasn't "sticking" to NH's system, and it took them around 40 minutes (and a bunch of phone calls) to figure it out and issue me a boarding pass.

Anyone else have this issue? If so, does it happen particularly often? (Because then I'd get to the airport earlier)

Also, I'm at the gate now, and I notice that my nice bulkhead E+ seat for SIN-SFO has turned into a middle seat at the back of the plane. FWIW, I'm Premier Silver, and I secured that seat @T-24 hours for free.

It still seems that my former seat is vacant according to Expertflyer. The NH agent at the gate told me that I need to take it up to UA agents at SIN to have my seat changed for the SIN-SFO flight. Can I still expect to sit in E+ for the rest of my flights?

Thanks for the help.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:06 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by JMBResona

Also, I'm at the gate now, and I notice that my nice bulkhead E+ seat for SIN-SFO has turned into a middle seat at the back of the plane. FWIW, I'm Premier Silver, and I secured that seat @T-24 hours for free.
Yes, stuff happens (for some reason more so to me than others when flying UA, so welcome on board)

You *should* be able to reclaim any E+ on UA once airborne after NH releases ticket to UA.

You can do this via ANA WiFi by "checking in" againn though at 38 thousand feet in the air it ain't cheap.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Yes, stuff happens (for some reason more so to me than others when flying UA, so welcome on board)

You *should* be able to reclaim any E+ on UA once airborne after NH releases ticket to UA.

You can do this via ANA WiFi by "checking in" againn though at 38 thousand feet in the air it ain't cheap.
Thanks for the help! I've been able to reclaim my E+ seats...thankfully. And the wifi honestly is quicker than expected
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
I upfared a ticket from V to P. I see there is a weather advisory for IAH tomorrow - if I make a switch, will I retain P (or any J availability for that matter)? The wording says "originally ticketed", which I suppose can be taken at the literal meaning, but it seems like an upfare is still valid to hold on to (pending space).
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by BThumme
I upfared a ticket from V to P. I see there is a weather advisory for IAH tomorrow - if I make a switch, will I retain P (or any J availability for that matter)? The wording says "originally ticketed", which I suppose can be taken at the literal meaning, but it seems like an upfare is still valid to hold on to (pending space).
If it was an upfare (shows add/collect on the receipt and value was added to the coupon) then your "originally ticketed class" is the premium cabin and you can be rebooked positive space in it.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:05 pm

Seat assignment processing for non-revs

I currently have a window seat in int'l C, but really want aisle access too (trying for the best of both worlds). Currently the aisle seat is empty and there is plenty of room in C, but there are many non-revenue passengers wait-listing for C. If the non-revs are assigned to cabin seats front-to-back, I should be fine. Can I count on this?

(If not I'll switch to the middle of the 2-2-2. I realize this is a first world problem...)
Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Anticat
I currently have a window seat in int'l C, but really want aisle access too (trying for the best of both worlds). Currently the aisle seat is empty and there is plenty of room in C, but there are many non-revenue passengers wait-listing for C. If the non-revs are assigned to cabin seats front-to-back, I should be fine. Can I count on this?....
No, and neither should you count on any empty seats in business.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
You will get UA's bag fees from Houston to Singapore for your entire trip; two free bags at 50 pounds each. You should bring a printout of your receipt, which will show this clearly.
One additional question regarding baggage fees and the "marketing carrier". I can also book Air Nippon flights from IAH-NRT-SIN and back instead of UA by using United's award miles bookings. Is this still free baggage since I'm still booking through United, or will I get scalped since my first flight out of IAH is not United?

TIA
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
Is 150k miles for a roundtrip Tokyo to Europe (including 1 layover) award a good deal or should I look for other options? (Considering that it might be Turkish J which is not the best of Star Alliance..)
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sodaisei
Is 150k miles for a roundtrip Tokyo to Europe (including 1 layover) award a good deal or should I look for other options? (Considering that it might be Turkish J which is not the best of Star Alliance..)
It's not bad. TK has a nice product and a fabulous lounge at IST. A nonstop on NH would be better.

Is the segment from IST to the continent widebody (lie-flat) or narrowbody (recliner)?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's not bad. TK has a nice product and a fabulous lounge at IST. A nonstop on NH would be better.

Is the segment from IST to the continent widebody (lie-flat) or narrowbody (recliner)?
It is narrowbody, but I have a good reason to use TK: basically mother in law would use her UA miles to come to my wedding in Europe while me and fiancée would fly paid coach in the same route. Why not NH? Because paid NH coach costs twice as much as TK (from Tokyo) and their 2-4-2 coach configuration is a nice thing when flying as couples.

Thank you!
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:19 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Anticat
I currently have a window seat in int'l C, but really want aisle access too (trying for the best of both worlds). Currently the aisle seat is empty and there is plenty of room in C, but there are many non-revenue passengers wait-listing for C. If the non-revs are assigned to cabin seats front-to-back, I should be fine. Can I count on this?

(If not I'll switch to the middle of the 2-2-2. I realize this is a first world problem...)
​​​​​​​Sounds exactly like my SIN-LAX flight today. I'm hoping that they can block the seat next to me. I'd give it 80-20 yes.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
So, long shot but simple question, does anyone here have experience flying into and/or out of CLL (College Station) on United? If so, what was your experience waiting for the little hop to IAH and/or getting back after the hop from IAH?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.