Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:30 pm

Cool Redeeming awards for Polaris

Hi all! Booking a flight from EWR (Newark) to BRU (Brussels) for April using awards miles from my MileagePlus Chase card. I really want to try the Polaris seats but have some questions as this is my first time:
- I found a seat for Business Saver Award at 60k miles + $26 -- Worth it? There is a 3hr layover in Geneva.
- What is the difference between United Polaris Business (I) and (JN)? I've tried looking this up and can't seem to find a clear answer anywhere. The pricing above is for Business (I).
- Those that have flown Polaris - any advice or tips? (best seat to select, non-mentioned amenities --> I feel like there is always something in the world of airlines!)
- My connecting flight is with Brussels Airlines. Will I have business class seats on there? UA won't let me select my seats from their site.
- Will I be able to go to the United lounge at EWR (or their equivalent in Geneva) with this ticket?

Apologies for all of the questions. As I mentioned, this is my first time using award travel for something other than an economy seat and I want to make sure I'm getting my miles-worth but also that I make the most out of this experience as possible!

Thanks in advance! xx

Last edited by em32085; Jan 10, 2018 at 10:00 pm
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Hi all,
planning to book SFO/yvr (Vancouver, Canada) in July. I'll need 3 F tickets and will use miles for Standard; is this considered F fare because it's standard award? Does this operate out of T3 or INTL of SFO? Does F allow any premium line for tsa security
at SFO?
Is it better to fly on Sunday or Monday? I always assume that Monday is a heavy business travel day. Mostly I don't want to risk any downgrade from F esp since it's a mileage ticket.
I've not flown UA in 3 years and I've never flown to YVR so this is very new for me. Thank you!
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, em32085!

Originally Posted by em32085
I found a seat for Business Saver Award at 60k miles + $26 -- Worth it?
Only you can make that decision. Nobody else knows your financial situation, in terms of both dollars and miles, or your future plans.

What is the difference between United Polaris Business (I) and (JN)?
I is a Saver award and JN is a Standard award.

IWill I be able to go to the United lounge at EWR (or their equivalent in Geneva) with this ticket?
Yes, at all airports.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gaobest
... planning to book SFO/yvr (Vancouver, Canada) in July. I'll need 3 F tickets and will use miles for Standard; is this considered F fare because it's standard award? ...
I or IN {saver F} and JN or ZN {standard F} will book in the F cabin. X or XN {saver economy} or HN or YN {standard economy}
So standard can be either F or economy.
See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...uckets-ua.html for more.
...Does this operate out of T3 or INTL of SFO? ..
UA operated flights to Canada generally will be out of T3
AC flights operated will be out of the G gates
...Does F allow any premium line for tsa security .at SFO? ...
Yes, premier line. But PreCheck is better and does not require status or premium cabin.
... I always assume that Monday is a heavy business travel day. Mostly I don't want to risk any downgrade from F esp since it's a mileage ticket. ...
no reason to worry about that -- very rare and usually related to so sort of irrops, and still rare.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Hi all! Booking a flight from EWR (Newark) to BRU (Brussels) for April using awards miles from my MileagePlus Chase card. I really want to try the Polaris seats but have some questions as this is my first time:
- I found a seat for Business Saver Award at 60k miles + $26 -- Worth it? There is a 3hr layover in Geneva.
Generally yes, assuming you live in New York. The zonal award chart means that it would be the same price to do this trip originating on the West Coast, or you could spend slightly more miles and go all the way to Asia or Australia. But even from the East Coast, 60k miles compares acceptably with a ~$1k half-round-trip cash fare.

- What is the difference between United Polaris Business (I) and (JN)? I've tried looking this up and can't seem to find a clear answer anywhere. The pricing above is for Business (I).
They are the same class of service. JN is much, much more expensive because it uses last seat availability, whereas I is very rare by comparison.

- Those that have flown Polaris - any advice or tips? (best seat to select, non-mentioned amenities --> I feel like there is always something in the world of airlines!)
You should know that not all United aircraft have the new Polaris seat which is featured in the advertisements. In fact, only the 777-300ER fleet and a few select 767-300ER aircraft have the seat. Otherwise, you will be flying in the previous generation business class seat, which is lie-flat and generally fine, but not new and shiny.

- My connecting flight is with Brussels Airlines. Will I have business class seats on there? UA won't let me select my seats from their site.
Yes, assuming it says Business as the class of service. Note that "Business" within Europe almost always means a standard Economy seat with 30" pitch at the front of the cabin, with the middle seat blocked, and slightly better cabin service.

- Will I be able to go to the United lounge at EWR (or their equivalent in Geneva) with this ticket?
Yes.

Hi all,
planning to book SFO/yvr (Vancouver, Canada) in July. I'll need 3 F tickets and will use miles for Standard; is this considered F fare because it's standard award? Does this operate out of T3 or INTL of SFO? Does F allow any premium line for tsa security
at SFO?
Is it better to fly on Sunday or Monday? I always assume that Monday is a heavy business travel day. Mostly I don't want to risk any downgrade from F esp since it's a mileage ticket.
I've not flown UA in 3 years and I've never flown to YVR so this is very new for me. Thank you!
Standard Awards use JN inventory assuming you have any UA status or hold a UA credit card. This is last-seat inventory: as long as there is a seat left on the aircraft you can book it. As noted, Canada departures usually fly out of T3, you have access to the Premier line at TSA if you are in the premium cabin, and you really don't need to worry about the forward cabin being overbooked.

Additionally, as YVR is international, your departure entitles you to lounge access at SFO.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: United
Hi! UA Silver looking to get myself and SO to Sydney and then NZ next September. Had been finding multicity itineraries SFO-SYD and AKL-SFO that totaled a little under 1k, but now everything appears to be significantly more expensive- any ideas what happened? Is it reasonable to try to get flights SFO-SYD and then AKL-SFO (or ORD since that's the ultimate destination) at roughly 1k or a bit more? Or are those discount fares likely gone forever? Open to other routing choices on the West Coast, or additional creative options.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Necho2
Hi! UA Silver looking to get myself and SO to Sydney and then NZ next September. Had been finding multicity itineraries SFO-SYD and AKL-SFO that totaled a little under 1k, but now everything appears to be significantly more expensive- any ideas what happened? Is it reasonable to try to get flights SFO-SYD and then AKL-SFO (or ORD since that's the ultimate destination) at roughly 1k or a bit more? Or are those discount fares likely gone forever? Open to other routing choices on the West Coast, or additional creative options.
Hello Necho2, welcome to FlyerTalk!

Unfortunately, the news isn't too great. You just missed the end of a sale with a book-by date of 09-Jan-18. $9xx is an outstanding price for that kind of a trip, and while you may see it again I'm sorry to say it's possible you missed the boat. But fares have been getting lower and lower for the past couple of years so you never know.

Here's the relevant part of the SFO-SYD fare table on Tuesday:

Code:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cxr     Basis      BC  Cbn    Price   Tp  AP  Min  Max   Days    Rf   T Start     T End      Expiry
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 UA  GLX77BM1/WEB3  G   Y    $300.50  RT   7    7  12M  MTWR      N  12-Jan-18  28-Jun-18  09-Jan-18
>                                                                    24-Jul-18  17-Sep-18
>                                                                    01-Nov-18  10-Dec-18
 UA  GLW77BM1/WEB3  G   Y    $350.50  RT   7    7  12M      FSU   N  12-Jan-18  28-Jun-18  09-Jan-18
>                                                                    24-Jul-18  17-Sep-18
>                                                                    01-Nov-18  10-Dec-18
 UA  GKX77BM1/WEB3  G   Y    $350.50  RT   7    7  12M  MTWR      N  29-Jun-18  23-Jul-18  09-Jan-18
>                                                                    18-Sep-18  31-Oct-18
 UA  GKW77BM1/WEB3  G   Y    $400.50  RT   7    7  12M      FSU   N  29-Jun-18  23-Jul-18  09-Jan-18
>                                                                    18-Sep-18  31-Oct-18

...and here it is today

Code:
Cxr     Basis      BC  Cbn    Price   Tp  AP  Min  Max   Days    Rf   T Start     T End      Expiry
 UA  TLE81CM3       T   Y    $645.00  RT  28   10  12M            N  01-Feb-18  31-Mar-18  17-Jan-18
>                                                                    01-May-18  30-Jun-18
>                                                                    16-Jul-18  30-Sep-18
>                                                                    23-Oct-18  10-Dec-18
 UA  WLX7ZUMD       W   Y    $879.50  RT   7       12M  MTWR    300  12-Jan-18  28-Jun-18
 UA  WLW7ZUMD       W   Y    $944.50  RT   7       12M      FSU 300  12-Jan-18  28-Jun-18
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by findark
Hello Necho2, welcome to FlyerTalk!

Unfortunately, the news isn't too great. You just missed the end of a sale with a book-by date of 09-Jan-18. $9xx is an outstanding price for that kind of a trip, and while you may see it again I'm sorry to say it's possible you missed the boat. But fares have been getting lower and lower for the past couple of years so you never know.

Here's the relevant part of the SFO-SYD fare table on Tuesday:

Code:
Cxr Basis BC Cbn Price Tp AP Min Max Days Rf T Start T End Expiry
UA GLX77BM1/WEB3 G Y $300.50 RT 7 7 12M MTWR N 12-Jan-18 28-Jun-18 09-Jan-18
> 24-Jul-18 17-Sep-18
> 01-Nov-18 10-Dec-18
UA GLW77BM1/WEB3 G Y $350.50 RT 7 7 12M FSU N 12-Jan-18 28-Jun-18 09-Jan-18
> 24-Jul-18 17-Sep-18
> 01-Nov-18 10-Dec-18
UA GKX77BM1/WEB3 G Y $350.50 RT 7 7 12M MTWR N 29-Jun-18 23-Jul-18 09-Jan-18
> 18-Sep-18 31-Oct-18
UA GKW77BM1/WEB3 G Y $400.50 RT 7 7 12M FSU N 29-Jun-18 23-Jul-18 09-Jan-18
> 18-Sep-18 31-Oct-18

...and here it is today

Code:
Cxr Basis BC Cbn Price Tp AP Min Max Days Rf T Start T End Expiry
UA TLE81CM3 T Y $645.00 RT 28 10 12M N 01-Feb-18 31-Mar-18 17-Jan-18
> 01-May-18 30-Jun-18
> 16-Jul-18 30-Sep-18
> 23-Oct-18 10-Dec-18
UA WLX7ZUMD W Y $879.50 RT 7 12M MTWR 300 12-Jan-18 28-Jun-18
> 24-Jul-18 17-Sep-18
> 01-Nov-18 10-Dec-18
UA WLW7ZUMD W Y $944.50 RT 7 12M FSU 300 12-Jan-18 28-Jun-18
> 24-Jul-18 17-Sep-18
> 01-Nov-18 10-Dec-18
Rats... Thanks so much for explaining that, I wish I had known and if I'd known that wasn't common (I think I started monitoring and planning when the sale began, so I didn't realize how good those prices were and had no urgency...), but now I do if it comes back. I have a ton of flexibility on my return, and could certainly do other West Coast cities that aren't SFO. Any other targets I should be monitoring?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:48 am

Carry-on question: I'm flying EWR-SFO on a 752 tomorrow. I'd like to bring a framed painting that measures 17"x22"x3", bubble wrapped. Clearly won't fit in a sizer, but is under the linear inch limit for large carry-ons (42" vs 45".) What are the chances I can bring it in cabin? I'm UA Gold, sitting E+ if that makes a difference. I don't want to check it, so the other option is mailing via courier. Time is short for the latter option. Thoughts much appreciated.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:12 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by mehitabel

measures 17"x22"x3", bubble wrapped. Clearly won't fit in a sizer, but
How deep is the overhead bin? Don't recall, but I've seen people bring on all kinds of things that have irregular shapes.

Methinks you have a good chance, though it would be good to have a backup plan.

Oh, wait, standard rollaboard is WAY more than 17" so I would go for it. Might not hurts to call UA first though.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid
How deep is the overhead bin? Don't recall, but I've seen people bring on all kinds of things that have irregular shapes.

Methinks you have a good chance, though it would be good to have a backup plan.

Oh, wait, standard rollaboard is WAY more than 17" so I would go for it. Might not hurts to call UA first though.
Thanks. It will definitely fit in the overhead, but definitely not in a sizer. I think United's regs used to refer to total linear inches rather than specific H/L/D limits? Anyhow, I'm going to take your suggestion and call, as I don't have a good backup option other than gate-check, which doesn't thrill me.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Necho2
Rats... Thanks so much for explaining that, I wish I had known and if I'd known that wasn't common (I think I started monitoring and planning when the sale began, so I didn't realize how good those prices were and had no urgency...), but now I do if it comes back. I have a ton of flexibility on my return, and could certainly do other West Coast cities that aren't SFO. Any other targets I should be monitoring?
It's hard to say as the flexibility gives a lot of options. Definitely always check your true origin & destination (in Economy the savings on a split-ticket connection can be quickly eaten up by the positioning ticket). You can check out the gateways (SFO, IAH, especially LAX) and possibly OAL hubs (SLC, DFW, DTW, etc) from time to time for prices.

Generally speaking you're not in danger of getting run over by advance purchase restrictions until about 30 days from travel, and it's pretty rare for the Economy cabin to sell out on Australia routes except in high season. I would set a price target for what you want and sit on it for a few months - you'll slowly get a sense of the market for your trip and feel more informed about when to pounce. Generally speaking, $1k r/t has been the bottom of the recent sales (it's been dipping lower which is crazy) and $2k r/t is the upper bound where the stable W fares are that are never going away.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by findark
It's hard to say as the flexibility gives a lot of options. Definitely always check your true origin & destination (in Economy the savings on a split-ticket connection can be quickly eaten up by the positioning ticket). You can check out the gateways (SFO, IAH, especially LAX) and possibly OAL hubs (SLC, DFW, DTW, etc) from time to time for prices.

Generally speaking you're not in danger of getting run over by advance purchase restrictions until about 30 days from travel, and it's pretty rare for the Economy cabin to sell out on Australia routes except in high season. I would set a price target for what you want and sit on it for a few months - you'll slowly get a sense of the market for your trip and feel more informed about when to pounce. Generally speaking, $1k r/t has been the bottom of the recent sales (it's been dipping lower which is crazy) and $2k r/t is the upper bound where the stable W fares are that are never going away.
Really appreciate it. I've been seeing 1.2k R/ts for LAX-SYD and then SYD-ORD, but position in CA and a roundtrip rather than one-way from SYD-AKL seemed a bit much. Appreciate the advice and I'll keep checking.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 12:29 pm

Does anyone think there will be a United Polaris credit or any new United cards rolling out in 2018? Im considering applying for the MIleage Plus Explorer and the United Club card but was wondering if anything better is on the horizon.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by BHM2017
Does anyone think there will be a United Polaris credit or any new United cards rolling out in 2018?
I don't foresee them bringing out anything new.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.