Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:07 am

While Premier status won't allow you to earn PQM faster (that's determined solely by airline and fare class), it will allow you to earn award miles faster which you can then use to book award flights, when the ticket is issued by United Airlines (11xFare for 1K vs 5xFare for general member).

Also the 500 mile minimum is theoretical. For instance if your fare only earns you 25% PQM earning you are entitled to 125 mileinimum guarantee. Similarly if your fare nets 200% PQM mile earning the minimum becomes 1000 miles per segment.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I used to be able to link off google flights for itins originating outside of the US. Once on .bomb and logged in UA would reprice in USD with, typically, a slight but acceptable increase. In the last few months however there is no reprice and thus no means of purchasing. Is there any way to force this reprice or have I completely lost any ability to use google flights for itineraries originating outside of the US?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I used to be able to link off google flights for itins originating outside of the US. Once on .bomb and logged in UA would reprice in USD with, typically, a slight but acceptable increase. In the last few months however there is no reprice and thus no means of purchasing. Is there any way to force this reprice or have I completely lost any ability to use google flights for itineraries originating outside of the US?
Have had this issue before and would typically purchase signed out of United or on local Expedia/OTA. After flight was ticketed would add the itinerary to my milage plus account to accrue miles and benefits.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Is there any way to force this reprice or have I completely lost any ability to use google flights for itineraries originating outside of the US?
United will always price based on the billing address of the credit card being used. It should reprice when you click purchase, but still give you a chance to confirm. Are you saying that part isn't working, or were you expecting a reprice simply by logging in?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 4:51 pm

Can I use the Premier 1K/Global Services/Polaris check-in queue if travelling on a UA itinerary that includes a Polaris long haul flight (i.e. YYZ -> ORD -> NRT) where the point of departure is in Y?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:03 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso

Can I use the Premier 1K/Global Services/Polaris check-in queue if travelling on a UA itinerary that includes a Polaris long haul flight (i.e. YYZ -> ORD -> NRT) where the point of departure is in Y?
Are talking about the Premier lane?

Since my u/g often didn't clear on the way to the hub I've often flown to gateway city in coach, but always used that line. Never a problem, last time last year, YVR-DEN in coach, DEN-NRT in Biz (was Gold at the time).
Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Is there such a thing at YYZ -- Don't believe there are any Polaris marketed flights out of YYZ

Assuming there is one, Yes.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 11, 2018 at 5:39 pm Reason: auto-spell check weirdness
Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Is there subject a thing at YYZ -- Don't believe there are any Polaris marketed flights out of YYZ

Assuming there is one, Yes.
Well there's no such thing as Polaris out of YYZ since all the UA flights are "domestic". However the sign said, Premier 1K, United Polaris and had the globe symbol which I believe is Global Services. Sadly, I didn't take a picture of this when I saw it

-James
Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Is there subject a thing at YYZ
Assuming you really mean "is there such a thing", yes. United uses the same signs everywhere even if they don't apply.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
United will always price based on the billing address of the credit card being used. It should reprice when you click purchase, but still give you a chance to confirm. Are you saying that part isn't working, or were you expecting a reprice simply by logging in?
It never reprices nor can I purchase; attempts thereof error out on every try.

EDIT: And now, for the first time in several months, it does reprice. :facepalm:

Last edited by dsquared37; Aug 11, 2018 at 7:27 pm
Old Aug 11, 2018, 11:47 pm

Programs: SAS Diamond, UA Gold, Hilton Gold
thank you

PQM earnings is unaffected by status.
RDM (award miles) might be affected by status when flying a few partners (AC, LH, NH, ...) and not on a UA 016 ticket.

a paid ticket upgraded with miles, GPU, RPU or CPU earns RDMs / PQMs based on the original purchased fare -- unchanged by the upgrade

PQM earning does not matter on ticket stock or from which airline the itin purchase (assuming we are comparing identical itins)

ok so sounding like the only advantage to booking direct would on UA metal be to accrue for million mile status then? For some reason, it seems anyway, direct booking is typically much higher than I can find elsewhere online but I’m meaning just in my searching for bsns class and sites that will at least give me mileage credit too.

Thank you all, for providing such useful and knowledgeable information for me. I also initially thought that having premier status would increase the PQM as well, also more differences, than my prior mileage program. And very good to know I can use miles to book an upgrade and still get miles on the paid fare part. I’m typicalky so busy working on accumulating PQM miles that I have a large bank of RDM miles going unused. Does anyone know if I can use my SAS EB (*A) miles to book through UA or can I only do through SAS (which I sadly think I must) unfortunately, I’m presently trying to steer away from them after a few quite poor experiences but still have several 100ks of mileage in my account 🙄

ps is there a list of all the acronyms used on here somewhere...I’ve found some of them but not all and I’m still quite unfamiliar with many ie GPU, CPU (thought that was a computer lol) AO etc )
Old Aug 11, 2018, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
There's a thread regarding consolidators here: Purchasing UA tickets from consolidator agencies -- downsides, issues?
Most unfortunately, I cannot seen to get this link to work for me 😞
Old Aug 11, 2018, 11:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Shoredreamer
...Does anyone know if I can use my SAS EB (*A) miles to book through UA or can I only do through SAS (which I sadly think I must) unfortunately, ....
SAS EB miles can only be used on the SAS site but you can book UA flights there.

... is there a list of all the acronyms used on here somewhere...
Every page (at the bottom) of FT has a link to the FT Glossary

And for UA specific terms, see "New" United Airlines Forum Glossary
Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:39 am

ok so sounding like the only advantage to booking direct would on UA metal be to accrue for million mile status then? For some reason, it seems anyway, direct booking is typically much higher than I can find elsewhere online but I’m meaning just in my searching for bsns class and sites that will at least give me mileage credit too.

ps is there a list of all the acronyms used on here somewhere...I’ve found some of them but not all and I’m still quite unfamiliar with many ie GPU, CPU (thought that was a computer lol) AO etc )
Million miler status is computed based on the distance of all United revenue (i.e. non-award or N fare class) flights you take regardless of who tickets the flight. For instance, if you were to purchase a flight containing some or even all United segments on Expedia, the actual flight distance of those flights will contribute to the million miler status. Hence, it's always best to to use whichever OTA provides you with the best deal, you're under no obligation to get it ticketed with United for that purpose.

There is a FlyerTalk glossary where you can look up terms like BIS, GPU, CPU to summarize the common United terminology:
  • CPU : Complimentary Premier Upgrade : When you hit any Premier status you qualify for upgrades (subject to availability) to Business/First class for most United flights within Canada, the US, Mexico, Caribbean, etc .
  • RPU : Regional Premier Upgrade : These are electronic certificates issued to Premier Platinum, Premier 1K and Global Services Passengers. The number of certificates you receive each year depends on your Premier level and they usually expire the following year. They can be used to upgrade (subject to availability) certain domestic routes that don't qualify for CPU like EWR to SFO and even some international routes that don't qualify for CPU.
  • GPU : Global Premier Upgrades : These are electronic certificates issued to Premier 1K and Global Services passengers. The number of certificates you receive each year depends on your Premier level and they usually expire the following year. They can be used to upgrade (subject to availability) all segments on a United flight domestic, regional, or international itinerary in one direction. These can even be applied to certain United partners like Lufthansa in some cases.
  • ToD : Tens of dollars (more like hundreds of dollars these days) United offers flyers during check-in to upgrade to business. It's common to see $200 upgrade offers for their premium service flights between EWR and SFO, or $800 between IAD and LHR. These offers also appear when viewing your United reservation online. Unlike the other upgrades listed above, once you accept the offer you're confirmed in business. These deals can be especially lucrative if the upgrade results in the fare code changing to something like P resulting in earning double status miles over economy (doesn't always happen).
The elephant in the room for upgrades is subject to availability phrase for CPUs, RPUs and GPUs. Although we'd all love to have our upgrades go through, in reality it's not a sure fire thing! Items that determine whether you'll secure that lucrative upgrade using your GPU/RPU/CPU are:
  • How many available seats are left in business/first class as you get closer to the flight date (i.e. 24-96 hours before departure)?
  • What fare class did you book your flight into (fares like Y, B and M are much more likely to secure an upgrade)
  • What upgrade instrument did you use (i.e. on a domestic flight an upgrade sponsored by a RPU will clear faster than a normal CPU request)
  • What is your Premier status at the time of booking (i.e. a 1K all else being equal a 1K will clear before a Gold)
  • When did you:
    • Book the flight?
    • Request the upgrade (if RPU or GPU since CPU is auto-requested)
Note : This isn't an exact science and anyone on FT who claims to know the magical formula United uses to figure out who is granted those mythical upgrades is either lying or on something.

Hope that provides some insight into the chase that is United upgrades!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Aug 12, 2018, 1:28 am

Thank you!!!

SAS EB miles can only be used on the SAS site but you can book UA flights there.

Every page (at the bottom) of FT has a link to the FT Glossary

And for UA specific terms, see "New" United Airlines Forum Glossary
Thank you yet again!!! Very very helpful. I didn’t even think of that, if I book with my SAS EB miles though, is there any benefit at all to my MP program. Realizing a mileage ticket incurs no mileage, is there any way to make it “usable” with regard to my MP account, would it even go toward million miles given it would be on UA metal but no revenue to UA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.