Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: SAS Diamond, UA Gold, Hilton Gold
Thank you for all of your responses! I’m just not sure though I understand fully though why 1 itinerary would allow me for lounge access and the other not?

I’m also not even sure if I’ll hit gold by then or not, it will be extremely close but I think after this potential itinerary I’m about to book, I will....there’s absolutely no way to utilize a lounge with my SAS * gold benefit due to my accruing mi to MP, is that correct? (I am not looking to retain my SAS *gold benefit once it expires June in 2019)

I apologize if this was unclear but when i I was asking about comparison of mp benefit with the different itinerary options I didn’t mean in flight per se, I just meant more with mileage accrual to obtain premier level status (other than the minimal differences based on where my connections are, that sort of thing.)) I also am not sure how my miles will credit once I take that 4th UA metal flight next month and then at least begin with the silver benefit . I will be in the middle of an itinerary with same destinations via TK airlines. Is the acrual rate based on status at time of flight or time of booking? You mentioned LH mi accrual being same as UA is this greater than my using any other star alliance airlines for this itinerary? I will also be booking separately (due to cost) the remainder of my itinerary lax-phx as phx is my final destination if that changes anything.

Thank you so much again!.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Shoredreamer

I’m also not even sure if I’ll hit gold by then or not, it will be extremely close but I think after this potential itinerary I’m about to book, I will....there’s absolutely no way to utilize a lounge with my SAS * gold benefit due to my accruing mi to MP, is that correct? (I am not looking to retain my SAS *gold benefit once it expires June in 2019)
You absolutely can use your Gold benefits even when you're crediting to a different milage program. This is SOP for many frequent flyers who end up redeeming miles on one program, then using their benefits with another program. For lounge access you'll need your boarding pass and your physical SAS Gold card. Enter the lounge, present the attendant with the two and they'll get sorted. Similar for priority check in and some other items, just show your card. I suspect for priority boarding you can board in group 2 then present the gate agent your boarding pass and SAS Gold card. The key thing to remember is that they don't change the account you are accruing to along the way.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Aug 7, 2018, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I apologize if this was unclear but when i I was asking about comparison of mp benefit with the different itinerary options I didn’t mean in flight per se, I just meant more with mileage accrual to obtain premier level status (other than the minimal differences based on where my connections are, that sort of thing.))

If you're asking, when flying UA metal, if you get more miles for booking through certain hubs, the answer is just what you said -- minimal differences based upon where your connections are.

I also am not sure how my miles will credit once I take that 4th UA metal flight next month and then at least begin with the silver benefit . I will be in the middle of an itinerary with same destinations via TK airlines. Is the acrual rate based on status at time of flight or time of booking?
Accrual rate is based upon your status at the time of travel.

You mentioned LH mi accrual being same as UA is this greater than my using any other star alliance airlines for this itinerary?
The LH group airlines (LH, LX, OS, SN) and Air Canada (AC) have similar accrual rules. Other airlines may be lower. You can see all of the partners here: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/marketing/custcomm/promotions/Pages/AirlinePartners.aspx?int_source=loy&int_medium=uac om&int_campaign=mpearnpage&partner_name=airlinepar tners_category&asset_type=mpearn_link&launch_date= 2017-08-01

It's critical to understand that there are two different types of mileage -- redeemable miles and Premier Qualifying miles. The rules for both types are completely different. If you're looking for Premier Qualifying Miles, for obtaining status, all that matters is the airline you're flying and what booking class you're in. If you're looking for redeemable miles, that you can use for free travel, you also need to consider who's selling the ticket.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 11:19 pm

I apologize if this was unclear but when i I was asking about comparison of mp benefit with the different itinerary options I didn’t mean in flight per se, I just meant more with mileage accrual to obtain premier level status (other than the minimal differences based on where my connections are, that sort of thing.)) I also am not sure how my miles will credit once I take that 4th UA metal flight next month and then at least begin with the silver benefit . I will be in the middle of an itinerary with same destinations via TK airlines. Is the acrual rate based on status at time of flight or time of booking? You mentioned LH mi accrual being same as UA is this greater than my using any other star alliance airlines for this itinerary? I will also be booking separately (due to cost) the remainder of my itinerary lax-phx as phx is my final destination if that changes anything.

Thank you so much again!.
It sounds like you are talking about PQM (the ones that get you status) rather than award miles (the ones you can use for award travel), right? If so, your status doesn't really matter (the exception is that those with status get a minimum of 500 miles per segment, which only matters on flights that are shorter than that). However, mileage accrual is based on your status when you take the flight (not when you book it).

A useful tool for understanding how much you'll accrue based on which metal you are flying (and if you booked through UA or not) is here: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mar...ate=2017-08-01.

Any of LH, LX, OS, and AC will earn the same as flying UA for PQM (but not the same number of award miles if not booked through UA). Some partners have lower rates across the board and some (TG and TK come to mind) don't give a bonus for J or F (and have more of a penalty for cheaper Y fares).
Old Aug 7, 2018, 11:43 pm

Hi,
Please forgive me if this is listed somewhere else, I have already spent hours reading through the posts on several of the wikis but can't seem to find something similar. I recently began assigning my miles to MP but have yet to specifically fly on UA for a long haul yet, just star alliance partners. Anyway, I am currently looking to book my next long haul specifically on united metal in order to boost my mileage accruals and I'm just wondering, when I put my itinerary in the search, several options come up specific to united metal so Im just wondering if one itinerary is any more advantageous than another, specifically I am looking at RT flights Got-Lax then adding on separately RT Lax-Phx because of it being a lot cheaper to add on that way than booking a straight rt Got-Phx and I also want to avoid any connections through ORD. I will be booking in business and see I can connect through SFO, IAD, IAH, EWR, etc so that is why I am wondering if it will make much difference with regard to MP benefits. I do realize there are slightly different mileage accruals but other than that, does it really matter much? I am specifically looking at the UA metal long haul flights but of course my first and last flight will have to still be through a star alliance carrier and my options vary a lot there too, ie lufthansa, swiss, etc. Since assigning my miles this, my current mileage year, to MP, right now I am still working on obtaining my premier status due to my still needing one more segment specifically on UA metal but it is my understanding that once I get this in, my status earned through miles already flown, should kick in and I expect to get this completed next month.

Thank you in advance for any help you could provide, as always, is so greatly appreciated!
One thing I must warn you about United (and many other milage programs) is the calendar system they use. If you're looking to accrue Premier status United for 2019, United will only look at flights credited to your account that were scheduled to depart between January 1 2018 to December 31, 2018 at 11:59 PM Central (Chicago) time. Hence I'd advise against signing up for MilagePlus and assigning miles starting now since you'll only have till December 31 to accrue miles for 2019. After that it resets back to 0!

In terms of *A milage programs generally, I'd say United is the best if you're like me and you look for the cheapest possible *A fares since United mostly awards 100% Premier milage on the major *A partners like LH and AC regardless of fare class. Also if you fly 1,000,000 miles on flights operated by United Airlines you get United Gold for life! It also makes sense if you fly long haul business with a major *A partner like UA, AC, LH, LX, etc. since you'll earn double miles for status (on most programs you'd only get a bonus of 25-50%). On the other hand, if you purchase slightly more expensive fares (i.e. Q, M, etc.) or fly premium cabin like Premium Economy, business or First then a program like Asiana might make more sense. The reason being that you get 2 years to qualify for status from the time you sing up for the program. Once you qualify for status you'll have it for 2 years. Also, they'll give you lifetime Asiana Diamond if you fly 500,000 miles with Asiana and all Star Alliance partners.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:00 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by j2simpso
.... If you're looking to accrue Premier status United for 2019, United will only look at flights credited to your account that were scheduled to depart between January 1 2018 to December 31, 2018 at 11:59 PM Central (Chicago) time. ...
Not quite correct -- flight crediting is based on the scheduled local-time departure of the flight segment, not Chicago time.
Year end / split year elite flight credit [Consolidated]
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:19 am

One thing I must warn you about United (and many other milage programs) is the calendar system they use. If you're looking to accrue Premier status United for 2019, United will only look at flights credited to your account that were scheduled to depart between January 1 2018 to December 31, 2018 at 11:59 PM Central (Chicago) time. Hence I'd advise against signing up for MilagePlus and assigning miles starting now since you'll only have till December 31 to accrue miles for 2019. After that it resets back to 0!

In terms of *A milage programs generally, I'd say United is the best if you're like me and you look for the cheapest possible *A fares since United mostly awards 100% Premier milage on the major *A partners like LH and AC regardless of fare class. Also if you fly 1,000,000 miles on flights operated by United Airlines you get United Gold for life! It also makes sense if you fly long haul business with a major *A partner like UA, AC, LH, LX, etc. since you'll earn double miles for status (on most programs you'd only get a bonus of 25-50%). On the other hand, if you purchase slightly more expensive fares (i.e. Q, M, etc.) or fly premium cabin like Premium Economy, business or First then a program like Asiana might make more sense. The reason being that you get 2 years to qualify for status from the time you sing up for the program. Once you qualify for status you'll have it for 2 years. Also, they'll give you lifetime Asiana Diamond if you fly 500,000 miles with Asiana and all Star Alliance partners.

Safe Travels,

James
thanks James for all the great info. I actually switched to assigning my miles to MP back in March as my SAS eurobonus year was up and I’d been unhappy with them as of late so wanted to try another program but they sure don’t make it easy, especially with trying to utilize my *gold status while I’m accruing mileage in another program that I have yet to achieve any status in. I presently have *gold thru SAS thru June 2019 and I anticipate having *gold through MP before Dec but thanks for telling me that as I didn’t even realize it was only until Dec that my miles would count toward MP’s status, I thought it would be a year from when I started assigning my miles, so definitely makes a difference for me to know! I usually fly in business (cheapest seat) as much as possible just because I’m not really enjoying flying at all and with the frequent long haul travel, it’s worth it to me, to be much more comfortable, especially on the flights that are 8-13+ hrs. I too, have been booking the cheapest routes I can find, through star alliance airlines but right now I’m looking to book a UA metal long haul to see if it gives me more miles as I just don’t think my mileage accruals are as much as they were when I was flying with and assigning to SAS. I have though only flown long haul itineraries with both Lufthansa and TA that I’ve assigned miles to MP so in hoping the amount of miles will increase faster and also as soon as I have that 4th required UA metal flight next month, I’m hoping then with some premier status (I presently have the mileage just not that 4th flight) that perhaps the mileage accrual percentages will also go up. To me, it is quite complex determining what flight, which fare class, which route, will give me xx miles so it’s typically a surprise to me whatever I am given following the flights 😊
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I’ve tried searching unsuccessfully so I’m posting here. If I upgrade a flight with miles + fee does the fee count toward PQD? I’m going to be about 1400 miles and $900 short of gold so a $550 upgrade fee makes a lot more sense if it helps resolve that shortage.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
No, copays do not count for PQD.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by findark
No, copays do not count for PQD.
Thanks. I figured it was unlikely but worth the question.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:47 pm

I too, have been booking the cheapest routes I can find, through star alliance airlines but right now I’m looking to book a UA metal long haul to see if it gives me more miles as I just don’t think my mileage accruals are as much as they were when I was flying with and assigning to SAS. I have though only flown long haul itineraries with both Lufthansa and TA that I’ve assigned miles to MP so in hoping the amount of miles will increase faster and also as soon as I have that 4th required UA metal flight next month, I’m hoping then with some premier status (I presently have the mileage just not that 4th flight) that perhaps the mileage accrual percentages will also go up. To me, it is quite complex determining what flight, which fare class, which route, will give me xx miles so it’s typically a surprise to me whatever I am given following the flights 😊
Milage accruals from *A partners on UA can be looked up here (just click on the airline you will be flying with). At the end of the day what matters for accrual purposes is the operating carrier of the flight. United has two accrual schemes. PQMs which determine what status you'll get for the following year and award miles which you can spend on award bookings and upgrades. PQMs and Award Miles accrue at different rates (typically the PQM accrual is more generous than the award mile accrual).

To summarize PQM accrual with UA, if you fly the cheapest economy ticket for UA, AC (non-domestic), LH, LX, OS, NH or NZ you'll earn 100% milage accrual. Certain Asian and African carriers like OZ, SQ, AI and MS have different (read lower) PQM earning. Interestingly, SAS's PQM accrual is varies depending on fare class from as little as 50% for lowest economy to 100% for business class . Similarly if you travel with these airlines in business class (even the lowest cost P fare) you'll earn 200% PQM accrual. Hence if you don't care about hitting lifetime Gold by flying a million miles on UA metal, your loyalty to UA should probably end after you hit the 4 segment requirement each year. The only exception might be if you accumulated some GPUs or RPU certificates that allow you to get a "free" upgrade when flying UA.

To summarize Award mile accrual with UA the first question you have to ask yourself is who ticketed the *A itinerary. If the answer is UA (regardless of what carriers are listed on the itinerary) then it's a rigid formula of X * Money you spent on base fare where X is determine by your Premier status with United (anywhere from 5 to 11x). If the answer is some other *A partner then award mile accrual is based on a percentage of distance flown which can be as low as 25% if it's a deep discount ticket to as high as 300% if it's a full fare business or first class ticket.

United has been known to change PQM and to a lesser extent award mile accrual from time to time. Their most recent update in the Spring was positive: it saw K fares on LH earning 100% PQM whereas before it had 0% earning! Any changes to earnings will be announced on the aforementioned site but UA doesn't send out an email blast to let everyone know. You have to be vigilant and check regularly or keep your eyes peeled to FT where myself or someone else spots the change. When a change is made they do indicate in advance when that change will be made (i.e. For Flights Flown On or After March 6, 2018 for Austrian)

Originally Posted by Coskigirl
I’ve tried searching unsuccessfully so I’m posting here. If I upgrade a flight with miles + fee does the fee count toward PQD? I’m going to be about 1400 miles and $900 short of gold so a $550 upgrade fee makes a lot more sense if it helps resolve that shortage.
Most upgrades won't earn any PQD (even online upgrades where you are buying up to a higher fare). The only way to be absolutely sure you'll earn PQD on an upgrade is calling in and requesting a GG-Buyup (the rep will know exactly what that means ). After they give you the quote confirm that the upgrade will earn PQD (it should) and then go ahead with the upgrade.

Safe Travels,

James
Coskigirl likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:27 am

Most upgrades won't earn any PQD (even online upgrades where you are buying up to a higher fare). The only way to be absolutely sure you'll earn PQD on an upgrade is calling in and requesting a GG-Buyup (the rep will know exactly what that means ). After they give you the quote confirm that the upgrade will earn PQD (it should) and then go ahead with the upgrade.

Safe Travels,

James
I only have 1 more trip scheduled this year (started law school so work travel is dialed way back) and that's a long haul DEN-LHR-DEN. Sadly the GG-Buyup upgrade will be far more than I want to spend. At this point I'm looking at a circuitous route to PDX in first over Christmas to make this work. If I'm going to spend the cash I might as well get to see family.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:07 pm

Any of LH, LX, OS, and AC will earn the same as flying UA for PQM (but not the same number of award miles if not booked through UA). Some partners have lower rates across the board and some (TG and TK come to mind) don't give a bonus for J or F (and have more of a penalty for cheaper Y fares).[/QUOTE]

thank you again for your words of wisdom! I’ve been reading and rereading through the things you’ve mentioned and I’m just still trying to understand, Do I not accrue mileage to MP at a higher rate when flying specifically UA metal? I always thought that flying the airline you are accruing mileage with was always the best in terms of earned miles but typically, at least what I’ve seen over the last few years, is that UA is typically higher in cost than other *alliance carriers for my most traveled/typical route which usually consists of Got or CPH to either EWR or as of late, more primarily LAX/SFO and/or PHX with last leg to phx sometimes booked separately. I typically will find the cheapest business class fare I can find within star alliance, and book it. You’ve mentioned TK as possibly having lower accrual rates(?) after you mentioned that I went back and looked at my accruals to MP from both TK and LH—Lufthansa right? My last 2 trips were actually on both of those respectively and both had similar accrual amounts when all was said and done and while I don’t know my actual fare class, it was the cheapest business seat on both accounts with TK being RT got/phx and LH being rt got/lax with an additional flight booked direct with UA from SFO to Phx. I presently have another itinerary already booked with TK rt got/phx but am currently looking to book my next one, preferably with UA...mostly because I thought the mileage accruals would be better and I want to make sure I at least get to gold after the next 2 trips so I’ve been looking at itineraries got to lax then adding the last leg lax-phx separately thru UA. I will already satisfy the 4 UA metals on my OB (last leg) once I fly again next month (RT GOT-PHX on TK) but will need at least 1 more round trip before Dec and possibly another for at Christmas time but I think (well at least I hope) I will make the mileage for gold with or without that, as I’m presently in upper 30k range of PQMs, without the next 2 trips yet, and my last 2 trips (as mentioned on TK and LH) have netted me approx 12k mi each way so that is why I’m thinking with another 3, possibly 4 ways ahead of me (& if the accruals don’t vary too much) I should hopefully be ok. (It may only be 1 1/2 RTs not 2 (3 not 4 ways) because I may need to make one of my itineraries outbound Nov 2018 and inbound 2019 thereby giving me only 3 not 4 of each way (GOT/PHX) remaining with that I am able to earn 100% certain of gold this year, hopefully this makes sense, I do apologize if it’s confusing it’s just that I may need to possibly do a mileage ticket at holiday time (so it’s rebookable without a fee & not crazy costly) because of family member military schedule that’s constantly changing until last minute. That’s why I’m hoping these 3-4 trips (each way) will be enough to get me to gold and why I’m thinking I should book my next trip with UA direct, even though it will end up costing more. My thought is that will ensure it happens anyway (because I thought this would maximize my accrual). I will be booking in cheapest business class.

Again I am sorry if this is confusing, I can clarify if need be but I’m wondering if it is fact true that UA metal will get me better mileage when assigning to to MP program and also if it’s a disadvantage to continue to fly TK which although requires me to go out of my way quite a bit, the experience to me has been well worth it in comparison to many of the other airlines I have traveled. I’ve only flown UA Polaris once (on a SAS mileage ticket) but it wasn’t actually in the Polaris configured plane just the regular business class although marketed as Polaris. It was a decent experience to me. Also, when flying a mileage ticket with UA, is it the same as with SAS, in that you do not accrue any miles when using them? Thanks again in advance!!

Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Again I am sorry if this is confusing, I can clarify if need be but I’m wondering if it is fact true that UA metal will get me better mileage when assigning to to MP program and also if it’s a disadvantage to continue to fly TK which although requires me to go out of my way quite a bit, the experience to me has been well worth it in comparison to many of the other airlines I have traveled.

Specifically for earning PQMs, it doesn't matter whether you fly UA, LH, LX, OS, or AC across the Atlantic. For the cheapest business class fare, you'll earn 200% of the distance traveled. You will earn less if you fly TK -- 100% of distance flown.

Also, when flying a mileage ticket with UA, is it the same as with SAS, in that you do not accrue any miles when using them?
Yes.

Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Do I not accrue mileage to MP at a higher rate when flying specifically UA metal? I always thought that flying the airline you are accruing mileage with was always the best in terms of earned miles but typically, at least what I’ve seen over the last few years, is that UA is typically higher in cost than other *alliance carriers for my most traveled/typical route which usually consists of Got or CPH to either EWR or as of late, more primarily LAX/SFO and/or PHX with last leg to phx sometimes booked separately.
Again I am sorry if this is confusing, I can clarify if need be but I’m wondering if it is fact true that UA metal will get me better mileage when assigning to to MP program and also if it’s a disadvantage to continue to fly TK which although requires me to go out of my way quite a bit, the experience to me has been well worth it in comparison to many of the other airlines I have traveled.

So, it depends a lot on the specifics here. United has a whole partner earning page to determine how much you earn on various partners. As a general rule, your earnings for status miles (PQM) will be roughly the same on UA and its joint venture (JV) partners, who include AC/LH/LX/OS/NH/NZ. You will probably earn fewer status miles for less "good" partners, and TK is a particular example of this where you will earn half as many PQM in business class.

For redeemeable miles (RDM), if you fly UA metal or buy your ticket from United, you will earn a multiple of the fare paid, regardless of which carrier your fly. If you are flying partner metal and bought your ticket from a different airline than United, your RDM earnings will be calculated according to the table for that airline and the actual distance flown.

For TATL trips, it is generally less advantageous to fly TK or SK than it is to fly UA, AC, or an LH Group carrier. It can, however, still be so much cheaper to fly TK via IST that it's still worth doing -- their fares are so radically not aligned to the *A pricing that I often consider them not to be a "real" *A carrier.

Also, when flying a mileage ticket with UA, is it the same as with SAS, in that you do not accrue any miles when using them? Thanks again in advance!!
Correct, when flying an award ticket you earn nothing at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.