Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2018, 12:25 am

I have a flight with UA for the departure and AC on the return. Is it possible to have it set up so that I can use my status with UA for the UA segment and AC status likewise for the AC segment?
Old Aug 4, 2018, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by an1030
I have a flight with UA for the departure and AC on the return. Is it possible to have it set up so that I can use my status with UA for the UA segment and AC status likewise for the AC segment?
Yes. Supposing the ticket was purchased/ticketed with UA you'll pull the itinerary into your MP account which will get you UA benefits for the UA leg. For the AC return there should be a PNR in your itinerary which you can then plug into the AC website to update the FF details, or you can call AC to get it added. Regardless of how this was ticketed, in the worse case you can always enter whatever frequent flyer program you want at check in with virtually any airline. In that case you'd just plug in your UA number for UA check in and AC number during the AC chicken!

Safe Travels,

James
an1030 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Does UA really have a "surprise and delight " program? Would this include UGs to next cabin?
The reason I asked was because this morning I had an UG to Polaris Business from LHR with no GPU, miles or payment. Did not question it, so not sure why. The phone agent was as surprised as me during the SDC.

Loving my recent United experiences.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 11:40 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
The reason I asked was because this morning I had an UG to Polaris Business from LHR with no GPU, miles or payment. Did not question it, so not sure why. The phone agent was as surprised as me during the SDC.

Sounds like an op up.

The only one I ever got was a flight to PVG, when quite a few of pax got it.

Of course to make up for it, UA canceled my return flight and made me fly back via KIX and losing half day in Shanghai
Old Aug 4, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum

I had an Op Up last year as a 1K on a ORD-CDG flight but it happened when I was already sitting in my bulkhead Economy + seat. Timing was perfect because it was during the short period of time when they reintroduced the Polaris Bear to celebrate the arrival of a new plane and I got 3 bears out of my upgrade (with 2 of my neighbors not wanting theirs).

But I have to say that BA is the company that gave me the most Op Ups in my traveling life. I was getting 1 for every 2 TATL flights even when I was just a general member or low level elite.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Yes. Supposing the ticket was purchased/ticketed with UA you'll pull the itinerary into your MP account which will get you UA benefits for the UA leg. For the AC return there should be a PNR in your itinerary which you can then plug into the AC website to update the FF details, or you can call AC to get it added. Regardless of how this was ticketed, in the worse case you can always enter whatever frequent flyer program you want at check in with virtually any airline. In that case you'd just plug in your UA number for UA check in and AC number during the AC chicken!

Safe Travels,

James
Thanks! I do have my AC and UA reservation code (booking reference) but using the AC equivalent on the AC website I am presented with:

Passenger information cannot be changed online. Please contact Air Canada Reservations within 24 hours of completing your booking. Special requests (e.g. assistance for a passenger with a disability, special meal) cannot be made online. Please contact Air Canada Reservations.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 1:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by an1030
Passenger information cannot be changed online.
Correct. If you book anywhere other than aircanada.com, you have to call to update your FF number and any other passenger info (though I was *once* able to update my passport info).
an1030 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Correct. If you book anywhere other than aircanada.com, you have to call to update your FF number and any other passenger info (though I was *once* able to update my passport info).
Thanks, I did just call to change the FF # to my Aeroplan for the AC part of the flight and still see my United MP account on the United segment.

That said, a trip I have later in the year will be a UA (and operated) flight with a layover that switches over to a UA flight operated by AC. I was told that the AC reservation agent could not change this and it would have to be done on the United side. Does anyone know if this particular type of segment I have to pick one over the other? On the United website I am unable to see how I can change the FF per segment and so I assume it carries through for all the UA operated flights so does that mean when I fly the AC flight, the United MP perks will not apply on the AC operated flight and I cannot leverage my AC Altitude status without losing the MP status on all my other segments in the ticket?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Kacee
Correct. You cannot earn UA miles for a QF operated flight.
Sorry if this is the wrong thread/forum, but somewhat related question. I have a UA reservation booked to Australia with a QF domestic segment. Since I won't get any UA credit for that segment, what is the best method to credit that segment (and that segment only) to another OW airline (e.g. AA/BA)? Should I wait until I arrive in AU and ask the QF staff (check-in or gate agent?). Or can they do it at the QF lounge, which I should be able to get into with my AA FF#?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 6:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by econ
Sorry if this is the wrong thread/forum, but somewhat related question. I have a UA reservation booked to Australia with a QF domestic segment. Since I won't get any UA credit for that segment, what is the best method to credit that segment (and that segment only) to another OW airline (e.g. AA/BA)? Should I wait until I arrive in AU and ask the QF staff (check-in or gate agent?). Or can they do it at the QF lounge, which I should be able to get into with my AA FF#?
Wait until the flight has been taken and then request Missing Flight Credit. Changing FF account where you want some of the flights to one account and some to another account can be unpredictable if you change accounts mid-trip.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Thanks. I guess it will be interesting though if I can use the QF lounge without them trying to change it there.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It should only take a couple of days for your MP account to show you as a cardmember, but you don't need to actually use the card to get the benefit.
thank you!! I got the Everyday Awards today, barely 1 business day after getting approval for the card! We are set. These 3 tickets would cost $3900 or so; I'm thrilled to use my excess miles.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: SAS Diamond, UA Gold, Hilton Gold
mileage accrual on similar itineraries

Hi,
Please forgive me if this is listed somewhere else, I have already spent hours reading through the posts on several of the wikis but can't seem to find something similar. I recently began assigning my miles to MP but have yet to specifically fly on UA for a long haul yet, just star alliance partners. Anyway, I am currently looking to book my next long haul specifically on united metal in order to boost my mileage accruals and I'm just wondering, when I put my itinerary in the search, several options come up specific to united metal so Im just wondering if one itinerary is any more advantageous than another, specifically I am looking at RT flights Got-Lax then adding on separately RT Lax-Phx because of it being a lot cheaper to add on that way than booking a straight rt Got-Phx and I also want to avoid any connections through ORD. I will be booking in business and see I can connect through SFO, IAD, IAH, EWR, etc so that is why I am wondering if it will make much difference with regard to MP benefits. I do realize there are slightly different mileage accruals but other than that, does it really matter much? I am specifically looking at the UA metal long haul flights but of course my first and last flight will have to still be through a star alliance carrier and my options vary a lot there too, ie lufthansa, swiss, etc. Since assigning my miles this, my current mileage year, to MP, right now I am still working on obtaining my premier status due to my still needing one more segment specifically on UA metal but it is my understanding that once I get this in, my status earned through miles already flown, should kick in and I expect to get this completed next month.

Thank you in advance for any help you could provide, as always, is so greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shoredreamer
Anyway, I am currently looking to book my next long haul specifically on united metal in order to boost my mileage accruals
Are you looking to boost accrual of redeemable miles (that you can use for flights / upgrades / etc.) or Premier Qualifying Miles (for status)?

several options come up specific to united metal so Im just wondering if one itinerary is any more advantageous than another
Not really, no.

I will be booking in business and see I can connect through SFO, IAD, IAH, EWR, etc so that is why I am wondering if it will make much difference with regard to MP benefits.
MP benefits? No. However, you're going to be much more comfortable in business class on an international configuration, so I would try to have the longest possible flight (SFO).

but of course my first and last flight will have to still be through a star alliance carrier and my options vary a lot there too, ie lufthansa, swiss, etc.
All of the LH group airlines have the same accrual from a MileagePlus perspective.

it is my understanding that once I get this in, my status earned through miles already flown, should kick in
That's correct. As soon as you've got four UA-operated segments, any status that you've earned will kick in.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I will be booking in business and see I can connect through SFO, IAD, IAH, EWR, etc so that is why I am wondering if it will make much difference with regard to MP benefits.
GOT-FRA-SFO-LAX will get you the best seat (77W) and Polaris lounge access at SFO to shower before your onward flight to LAX.

GOT-ZRH/FRA/MUC/VIE/WAW-LAX would be more efficient, but you won't get lounge access at LAX unless you've hit Gold prior to your GOT departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.