Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2018, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Not all, especially the older MP branded cards, have the benefit
thanks! Which MP cards (assume Chase) allow access to unlimited Everyday Awards? I'm so out of the loop that I use Standard as my award word!! I will call Chase and try to get a new MP card and move some of the huge credit line to set up the MP card so I can have this unlimited Everyday award access!
Old Jul 29, 2018, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by gaobest
Which MP cards (assume Chase) allow access to unlimited Everyday Awards?
Any of the currently available cards (Explorer, Club) allow access.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:30 am
formerly Goflyer100

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion - Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EmailKid
There is always some luck involved in u/g, but day of the week and time of flight have a LOT to do with it. And no, I'm not surprised about PTY flights.

LAX-IAD is still a hub to hub, so not so good chance to u/g, but at least theoretically eligible for CPU.
Got it! I just booked AMS-ORD-SFO-LAX-SFO-FRA-AMS. Is the chance bigger for upgrade on SFO-LAX because it's a shorter flight? ORD-LAX is the same I guess because it's from hub to hub.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Goflyer100
Got it! I just booked AMS-ORD-SFO-LAX-SFO-FRA-AMS. Is the chance bigger for upgrade on SFO-LAX because it's a shorter flight? ORD-LAX is the same I guess because it's from hub to hub.
ORD-LAX is an easier upgrade than ORD-SFO because LAX has far fewer UA elites than SFO. ORD-SFO is basically impossible. SFO-LAX it totally depends on your particular flight.

As 1K, if I can't confirm a domestic upgrade to or from SFO at booking, I assume I'm sitting in Y.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
ORD-LAX is an easier upgrade than ORD-SFO because LAX has far fewer UA elites than SFO. ORD-SFO is basically impossible. SFO-LAX it totally depends on your particular flight.

As 1K, if I can't confirm a domestic upgrade to or from SFO at booking, I assume I'm sitting in Y.
As a 1K, I managed to upgrade an ORD-LAX flight (not at booking) but I did not get it on LAX-ORD. My mistake was booking a flight at a time when passengers would do LAX-ORD to connect to the European departures from ORD.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:15 am
formerly Goflyer100

Originally Posted by Kacee

Thanks! I meant ORD-SFO of course. Anyway it's easier to get an upgrade on flights to and from non-UA hubs if I understand correctly, like IAD-SEA or SEA-ORD which I did In late February this year. Is there a place where I can see how many UA elites are in a specific city?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Thanks! I meant ORD-SFO of course. Anyway it's easier to get an upgrade on flights to and from non-UA hubs if I understand correctly, like IAD-SEA or SEA-ORD which I did In late February this year.
I wouldn't necessarily agree that it's "easier" - what I would say is that hub-to-hubs can be particularly difficult. Ex-SFO, there are plenty of flights to non-hubs where I'd say a Gold's chances are basically zero.
Is there a place where I can see how many UA elites are in a specific city?
No, that's UA proprietary info.

Anecdotally, SFO is the worst for upgrades. LAX is probably easiest. But these are really broad generalizations.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks! I meant ORD-SFO of course. Anyway it's easier to get an upgrade on flights to and from non-UA hubs if I understand correctly, like IAD-SEA or SEA-ORD which I did In late February this year. Is there a place where I can see how many UA elites are in a specific city?
No, there is no such place, but you can infer a lot of it by looking at schedules. The more flights UA operates out of a location, the more UA elites will live there. UA has many more flights from SFO than LAX, both in terms of pure numbers and in terms of market share.

The Star Alliance website gives some numbers:
https://www.staralliance.com/en/airp...irportCode=SFO
https://www.staralliance.com/en/airp...irportCode=LAX

2257 weekly departures from SFO
1243 weekly departures from LAX

I don't know how often they update that information, but it's good enough to get an idea.

And, yes, your upgrade chances are best flying to non-hub airports, especially on non-business travel times. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Saturday are the easiest days to get upgrades (T&W only for trans-oceanic travel, as Saturday is a busier day long-haul than it is short-haul, relatively speaking. Of course, there are no complimentary upgrades for those routes anyway).
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Any of the currently available cards (Explorer, Club) allow access.
what about the united travel bank chase card, which has a 2% rebate on ual (1.5% for non-ual) to ual travel bank accounts - it's $0 annual fee but chase site doesn't say if it has the unlimited Everyday Award access.

Thanks!
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gaobest
what about the united travel bank chase card, which has a 2% rebate on ual (1.5% for non-ual) to ual travel bank accounts - it's $0 annual fee but chase site doesn't say if it has the unlimited Everyday Award access. ...
The TravelBank credit card has no UA travel benefits (other than the rebate to the UA Travel Bank). As nothing is mentioned, take it is a sign nothing is offered

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...om-club-q.html
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:29 am
formerly Goflyer100

A few months ago I made an award flight with NZ. However due to an aircraft change I was put on a later flight. I'm wondering if I can get miles from this flight since my ticket number starts with 236 and not with 016. I'm wondering where 236 stands for since NZ ticket numbers starts with 043.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:39 am

A few months ago I made an award flight with NZ. However due to an aircraft change I was put on a later flight. I'm wondering if I can get miles from this flight since my ticket number starts with 236 and not with 016. I'm wondering where 236 stands for since NZ ticket numbers starts with 043.
According to this site (http://www.kovrik.com/sib/travel/airline-codes.txt), 236 is BMI, but since that doesn't exist anymore, my link is clearly out-of-date.

Since it was an award ticket, I'd assume that you couldn't collect miles, though I suppose you might have been put into a booking class that does allow miles (even if the ticket were 016, an award ticket doesn't collect miles). With Air New Zealand, if booking class was F, I, N, or R there is no mileage credit.

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mar...spx?ItemId=379
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The TravelBank credit card has no UA travel benefits (other than the rebate to the UA Travel Bank). As nothing is mentioned, take it is a sign nothing is offered

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...om-club-q.html
thank you! So seems that for me, it's the explorer or explorer business... The club card is too high (450) as I rarely travel with ual.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat; Marriott Gold; SPG Gold; Hyatt Gold; Hertz Gold
I'm looking at a flight CHC-???-BNE where ??? is either AKL or WLG. The second leg will be QA-operated NZ code share. I know NZ recently announced a deal with QA for trans-Tasman flights, including earning points. My understanding, however, is that I cannot earn UA MP points on that leg since UA doesn't have a deal with QA; i.e. the NZ deal doesn't help me. (The first leg is NZ operated, so I should be fine.) Is that correct?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by silver_halide
I'm looking at a flight CHC-???-BNE where ??? is either AKL or WLG. The second leg will be QA-operated NZ code share. I know NZ recently announced a deal with QA for trans-Tasman flights, including earning points. My understanding, however, is that I cannot earn UA MP points on that leg since UA doesn't have a deal with QA; i.e. the NZ deal doesn't help me. (The first leg is NZ operated, so I should be fine.) Is that correct?
Correct. You cannot earn UA miles for a QF operated flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.