Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:15 pm

On a mixed class award (Y/J) ticket with a United segment in X or XN is it possible to upgrade the segment when it becomes available for a traveler with no status on United.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
On a mixed class award (Y/J) ticket with a United segment in X or XN is it possible to upgrade the segment when it becomes available for a traveler with no status on United.
If I space (business saver space) becomes available, since you have paid for this level of award, yes you can change the award. If the award miles originally came for a Plat ot higher account, you would be looking for IN.
Note you can waitlist in advance for this situation, Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
If you paid for J, it's not an upgrade. You are entitled to that cabin if/when inventory opens up. Status plays a role in the waitlist priority, but you don't need status to get on the waitlist.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:21 pm

I purchased an economy ticket (T) for SFO-BOS, and I also purchased an Economy Plus upgrade for $135. Today, I see an option to upgrade to business class for $309. I have a few questions about this.

1. Is it worth it? My gut tells me yes since I would only be paying $174 extra for business class on a transcontinental route.
2. If I upgrade, would I earn more PQD and PQM? Or do I need to purchase business class from the beginning for this?
3. The flight number is 2261 and the plane will be 757-200. Is this the new Polaris hard product?

Thanks!
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cheme24
I purchased an economy ticket (T) for SFO-BOS, and I also purchased an Economy Plus upgrade for $135. Today, I see an option to upgrade to business class for $309. I have a few questions about this.

1. Is it worth it? My gut tells me yes since I would only be paying $174 extra for business class on a transcontinental route.
2. If I upgrade, would I earn more PQD and PQM? Or do I need to purchase business class from the beginning for this?
3. The flight number is 2261 and the plane will be 757-200. Is this the new Polaris hard product?

Thanks!
1 - Only you can answer that. If I felt $135 was worth it for E+, I’d probably think $309 was worth it for J.
2 - PQD: Almost certainly not. PQM: Maybe / maybe not, and there’s no real way to be sure until they post. Assume you won’t, and then any surprise would be a positive one.
3 - No. There are no plans to fit the Polaris hard product onto any 757. It’s exceptionally rare to get the Polaris hard product on a p.s. route. I don’t believe any flights are currently scheduled with that equipment, so it would have to be a plane swap.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:05 am

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
I have an upcoming flight RDU-IAH-PHX. On the RDU-IAH leg I have received a confirmed premier upgrade to first class. I was wondering if I get any United club access since or if this only for on paid first class?
Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by flyguy6
I have an upcoming flight RDU-IAH-PHX. On the RDU-IAH leg I have received a confirmed premier upgrade to first class. I was wondering if I get any United club access since or if this only for on paid first class?
Neither. United Club access is only available for international business (or first) class tickets and p.s. Business tickets, whether paid, award, or upgraded. This is the same for all the US airlines.
flyguy6 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 5:54 pm

Hi there. I'm looking to book an award flight on Lufthansa using my United MileagePlus miles. The flight is a one-way from BRU to MUC on August 17th. Per United's website, I see that the fare is an Economy Saver Award (X class) and is only 8k miles plus a fee. My question is, what tier of Lufthansa economy does this translate / equate to? Is it Economy Light or Economy Classic?

Out of three calls to United, two agents have said it maps to Economy Classic, and one said there's no way to tell. Might anyone know a definitive answer?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Tickets booked in X are Economy Classic (include the baggage allowance).
Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I may be worried unnecessarily, as apart from a recent diversion due to DEN weather, my flights this year have been on-time (which is a huge improvement from the last couple of years of about 50% canx/delay rate).

However, I have a couple of international flights where I have only a 22 hour turn around time - arrive, collect luggage, get home, unpack, repack, sleep and return to airport. Both the arriving and departure flights are on United. So if my flight from Japan is cancelled/delayed by more than 15 hours is it likely United would rebook me on a later flight to London at no cost? As I said it may be a moot issue but would like to be aware of what I may need to do in such a situation as I am meeting family in London which is why the timing is what it is.

TIA
Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While they have no contractual obligation to help, United has a track record of being very reasonable in a situation like that. I would expect positive space rebooking to get you where you need to go.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 11:54 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
If Aussienarelle is in Japan with a UA delay/cancel, do you think they would book her on a direct flight to London -- which would mean on another airline -- or only online on a UA connection Japan-USA-LHR? I know we're all just speculating, but curious what folks think UA would do.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by 1984SW
If Aussienarelle is in Japan with a UA delay/cancel, do you think they would book her on a direct flight to London -- which would mean on another airline -- or only online on a UA connection Japan-USA-LHR?
United will try to rebook on United metal, but may consider another airline. Status would play a role in how willing they are to rebook on another airline.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by 1984SW
If Aussienarelle is in Japan with a UA delay/cancel, do you think they would book her on a direct flight to London -- which would mean on another airline -- or only online on a UA connection Japan-USA-LHR? I know we're all just speculating, but curious what folks think UA would do.
Thank you for asking this question, I had not even considered this would be an option but my family is only there for a couple of days so getting there for the original time frame would be great. It also means I will need to ensure I have taken my London luggage with me.

I had originally considered flying to London and then fly from there to SGN and return (SQ/LH/TG were options) but the price suddenly went way up hence the back to back flights. So there are options if something goes wrong.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:12 am
RNE

I know it's been asked a thousand times before, but why does United's ENIAC computer still permit mere passengers on flights I book to manage said bookings? View a booking? Fine. Manage a booking they didn't create or pay for? Crazy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.