Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chermorg
So, long shot but simple question, does anyone here have experience flying into and/or out of CLL (College Station) on United? If so, what was your experience waiting for the little hop to IAH and/or getting back after the hop from IAH?
I have not flown CLL-IAH but have flown a handful of other short flights to/from outstations. What are you wondering about the wait? My typical experience is minimizing my time at the airport and then sitting in a chair near a window until it's time to get on the plane.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StrongEagle
One additional question regarding baggage fees and the "marketing carrier". I can also book Air Nippon flights from IAH-NRT-SIN and back instead of UA by using United's award miles bookings. Is this still free baggage since I'm still booking through United, or will I get scalped since my first flight out of IAH is not United?

TIA
If you book ANA from IAH-NRT-SIN and back, you will get ANA's baggage allowance for that flight, even though it is using UA miles. ANA is the marketing carrier in that case. (The marketing carrier is determined by flight number -- UA7937 and NH173 are the same flight (UAH-NRT), but if you book as UA7937, United is the marketing carrier, and if you book as NH173, ANA is the marketing carrier. In Star Alliance and MileagePlus, award tickets are always booked under the "native" flight numbers, so that the operating carrier and the marketing carrier are the same. (In other words: your award tickets would use ANA flight numbers).

Originally Posted by chermorg
So, long shot but simple question, does anyone here have experience flying into and/or out of CLL (College Station) on United? If so, what was your experience waiting for the little hop to IAH and/or getting back after the hop from IAH?
I flew into CLL as a substitute for AUS once; I dropped off a car at CLL parking and picked it up when I returned. No issues; small airports are usually easy to get in and out of. The only caveat is that frequency is limited, so if you miss a connection or have a weather cancellation, it may take a while before you can be re-accommodated.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:36 pm

Expert Mode/ Remaining Fare Class Seats

I'm new to this board and only recently started travelling more for work and made Gold level last year. I currently have 2 questions/issues:

(1) I'm trying to book a family vacation from Houston to Bonaire in May on Saver Miles and there are no saver awards available. I've been watching for a few weeks and it appears that they open them up only a few weeks prior to departure so i was thinking maybe if i could see the number of those seats available that would help. After searching for awhile i see you can see XN class and number of seats in "expert mode" however those are all old articles and i cannot find this anymore - is there a way to see number of seats for award classes or upgrades anymore?

(2) I have a business trip to take in May from Houston to London. My company allows me to fly Premium Economy but as you know United does not currently offer PE (cant wait til they do!). So i can sit in Economy Plus but that's not very comfortable. Is there any chance that i will get upgraded with Gold Status? I saw that automatic upgrade on B and Y fare flights and i saw i can find one of those fares for the trip which comes up as Economy Flexible. If my company purchases this fare (Which is definitely more expensive) does that mean i automatically get upgraded?

Sorry if these questions have been answered before but i tried searching and was not finding help.
Thank you!
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by houstontraveler242
After searching for awhile i see you can see XN class and number of seats in "expert mode" however those are all old articles and i cannot find this anymore - is there a way to see number of seats for award classes or upgrades anymore?
Nothing has changed - turn on Expert Mode and look at XN inventory. You need to do a revenue (not award) search.

(2) I have a business trip to take in May from Houston to London. My company allows me to fly Premium Economy but as you know United does not currently offer PE (cant wait til they do!). So i can sit in Economy Plus but that's not very comfortable. Is there any chance that i will get upgraded with Gold Status? I saw that automatic upgrade on B and Y fare flights and i saw i can find one of those fares for the trip which comes up as Economy Flexible.
Instant Upgrades as an elite benefit only apply to CPU-eligible routes. You will not get upgraded as a Gold on IAH-LHR unless you support your upgrade with an instrument (like miles+cash). I recommend flying paid Premium Economy on a carrier that offers it, like LH. With a little deftness you can even plate this 016 for the PQDs.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm new to this board and only recently started travelling more for work and made Gold level last year. I currently have 2 questions/issues:

(1) I'm trying to book a family vacation from Houston to Bonaire in May on Saver Miles and there are no saver awards available. I've been watching for a few weeks and it appears that they open them up only a few weeks prior to departure so i was thinking maybe if i could see the number of those seats available that would help. After searching for awhile i see you can see XN class and number of seats in "expert mode" however those are all old articles and i cannot find this anymore - is there a way to see number of seats for award classes or upgrades anymore?

(2) I have a business trip to take in May from Houston to London. My company allows me to fly Premium Economy but as you know United does not currently offer PE (cant wait til they do!). So i can sit in Economy Plus but that's not very comfortable. Is there any chance that i will get upgraded with Gold Status? I saw that automatic upgrade on B and Y fare flights and i saw i can find one of those fares for the trip which comes up as Economy Flexible. If my company purchases this fare (Which is definitely more expensive) does that mean i automatically get upgraded?

Sorry if these questions have been answered before but i tried searching and was not finding help.
Thank you!
1 - Expert Mode is still available on the website. Account / Manage Profile / View All Flight Search Preferences -- you should see a checkbox for Expert Mode.

2 - There are no complimentary upgrades on transoceanic flights, even on Y/B fares. The "instant upgrades" only apply to complimentary upgrade routes: and, even then, they're capacity-limited, so you often end up on a waitlist anyway.

If you don't mind making a connection, you could fly Lufthansa in Premium Economy through Frankfurt to London. However, you will only earn Premier Qualifying Dollars (PQD) if you book through United, which can be tricky -- the website won't give you this option. You'd need to call them. UA status levels require both a number of Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) as well as a corresponding number of PQDs. (The PQD requirement is waived for non-US residents; and it's waived for Silver, Gold, and Platinum with qualifying spending levels on a United-branded Chase credit card).
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Nothing has changed - turn on Expert Mode and look at XN inventory. You need to do a revenue (not award) search.

Instant Upgrades as an elite benefit only apply to CPU-eligible routes. You will not get upgraded as a Gold on IAH-LHR unless you support your upgrade with an instrument (like miles+cash). I recommend flying paid Premium Economy on a carrier that offers it, like LH. With a little deftness you can even plate this 016 for the PQDs.
Originally Posted by jsloan
1 - Expert Mode is still available on the website. Account / Manage Profile / View All Flight Search Preferences -- you should see a checkbox for Expert Mode.

2 - There are no complimentary upgrades on transoceanic flights, even on Y/B fares. The "instant upgrades" only apply to complimentary upgrade routes: and, even then, they're capacity-limited, so you often end up on a waitlist anyway.

If you don't mind making a connection, you could fly Lufthansa in Premium Economy through Frankfurt to London. However, you will only earn Premier Qualifying Dollars (PQD) if you book through United, which can be tricky -- the website won't give you this option. You'd need to call them. UA status levels require both a number of Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) as well as a corresponding number of PQDs. (The PQD requirement is waived for non-US residents; and it's waived for Silver, Gold, and Platinum with qualifying spending levels on a United-branded Chase credit card).
1 - Thank you so much for the instructions, got it turned on. Now of course everything shows 0 for X and XN. Is Gold considered Elite or Non-Elite? not sure which one i'm supposed to be looking for. How often do they open up additional fares? EVER? The standard award of $40k is killer, would love the saver award but not looking promising.

2 - Was trying not to fly Lufthansa as they dont fly direct and it adds quite a lot of time to the travel. I've flown ANZ before and they give you PQM which equates somehow to dollars spent on the ticket, the PQD i usually dont have an issue as i have a Mileage Explorer card.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1 - Thank you so much for the instructions, got it turned on. Now of course everything shows 0 for X and XN. Is Gold considered Elite or Non-Elite? not sure which one i'm supposed to be looking for. How often do they open up additional fares? EVER? The standard award of $40k is killer, would love the saver award but not looking promising.
Happy to help. Gold is Elite. You'll want the XN award class. They can (and do) open award availability at any time. Basically, they watch to see how well sales are going on any given flight. If they're ahead of projections, they'll close down some of the cheaper buckets, including the X/XN Saver Award bucket. If they're behind projections, they'll open them up. A flight may go from XN0 to XN9 back to XN0 over a period of a day or two without anyone actually booking an award seat -- just based on total available (award and cash) inventory and updated projections.

2 - Was trying not to fly Lufthansa as they dont fly direct and it adds quite a lot of time to the travel. I've flown ANZ before and they give you PQM which equates somehow to dollars spent on the ticket, the PQD i usually dont have an issue as i have a Mileage Explorer card.
PQM depends upon the distance traveled, not the fare paid. As long as your projected travel for the year is below 100K PQM, spending $25K on the MileagePlus Explorer card means that you can safely ignore PQD. If you think that you might pass 100K PQM, however, you should be aware that there's no credit card spending waiver for the PQD requirement for the 1K status level. If you were 1K, you would have the opportunity to use an upgrade certificate to upgrade the UA IAH-LHR flight to business class. (It still might not clear, though! People with flexible travel plans can often use these certificates, but people who need to travel on certain days -- e.g., for work -- often find them to be more hassle than they're worth).

And, yes, you're going to be spending longer in transit on Lufthansa (although, as a UA Gold member, you'll have lounge access on international trips, which is a nice perk). It's entirely up to you whether or not the increased comfort of PE is worth the extra time and distance flown.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:29 pm

If I fly Eurowings as part of a United award booking, am I subject to their baggage policies and fees? It's an economy itinerary, but I can't tell what type of ticket that translates to on Eurowings' side (I've never seen one of the budget airlines on part of an award booking). They operate the first flight on a return trip back to the US. The rest are United.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Frugal Doctors
If I fly Eurowings as part of a United award booking, am I subject to their baggage policies and fees? It's an economy itinerary, but I can't tell what type of ticket that translates to on Eurowings' side (I've never seen one of the budget airlines on part of an award booking). They operate the first flight on a return trip back to the US. The rest are United.
Assuming that this is a round-trip ticket originating in the U.S., with the first segment operated by UA, the rules require that UA's baggage allowance be applied to the return as well. This does not mean that an uninformed EW agent might not give you a hard time at check-in in Germany.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Originally Posted by Frugal Doctors
Assuming that this is a round-trip ticket originating in the U.S., with the first segment operated by UA, the rules require that UA's baggage allowance be applied to the return as well. This does not mean that an uninformed EW agent might not give you a hard time at check-in in Germany. .
But a key difference is EW will not recongize any elite benefits. You will get the standard UA economy baggage allowance and no additional elite benefits. Also EW carry-on rules are more restrictive.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Assuming that this is a round-trip ticket originating in the U.S., with the first segment operated by UA, the rules require that UA's baggage allowance be applied to the return as well. This does not mean that an uninformed EW agent might not give you a hard time at check-in in Germany.
It's a multi-city booking, if that matters at all. USA --> Europe, then the intra-Europe excursionist perk, then Europe --> USA.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:52 pm

Is there a thread somewhere about the change to the 'roundtrip' price? It doesn't make a ton of sense to me.. is there an actual change or is it just display?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by vtbobf
Is there a thread somewhere about the change to the 'roundtrip' price? It doesn't make a ton of sense to me.. is there an actual change or is it just display?
United showing fares roundtrip on united.com
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: AA EXP [121 segments in 2021] - IHG Spire [170 nights in 2021]
Quick PQD question!

I like the many Star Alliance carriers that are based in Asia.

I was looking at UA's EVA air mileage accrual chart and did not see anything about how many PQDs you earn on flights you don't purchase through UA.

For example, per American Airlines Qantas partner chart, I would get 1.5x elite qualifying miles and 20% of the miles flown would be accrued as EQDs (elite qualifying dollars) if I booked at T class PE ticket.

Does this mean that I would not be able to earn any PQDs if I were only flying on Star Alliance partners? I live in an AA hub so I would rarely ever fly UA metal but as mentioned, I really do like the *A Asian carriers...
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:04 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by KmKx151
... I was looking at UA's EVA air mileage accrual chart and did not see anything about how many PQDs you earn on flights you don't purchase through UA. ...
No UA ticket, $0 PQDs if a partner flight.

Originally Posted by KmKx151
,,, Does this mean that I would not be able to earn any PQDs if I were only flying on Star Alliance partners? ....
Yes, that is correct.

The only other option is getting a Chase UA MP credit card (and spend $25,000) to get a PQD waiver up to Plat status. Or qualify as a non-USA resident

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.