Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2018, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by constant_traveller
Thank you both! Took advantage of the 24 hr cancellation and canceled on united.com. Rebooked the same flights via Lufthansa (codeshare) which was 30$ cheaper and ofcourse got 2 bags allowance free
Glad that Lufthansa worked out for you. Also keep Singapore Airlines in mind, just in case. I had a great experience with them going to India and back.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 11:59 am

Looking for a business award TXL-EWR for December 28, I found available space on the direct flight operated by UA for 45k / 100k miles. What kind of award is this?
I can't find these sums in any award table. For the flight back in January, the United page shows the sums of 30k / 60k for the savers and 70k / 155k for the Everyday awards as I expected.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrAlex
Looking for a business award TXL-EWR for December 28, I found available space on the direct flight operated by UA for 45k / 100k miles. What kind of award is this?
Those are both everyday awards. 45K is an everyday economy award, and 100K is an everyday business award.

UA's new dynamic pricing for everyday awards means that the values in that table are maxima -- the everyday award can be anything up to what they've published, but not any higher. In this case, UA has decided to offer a discount from the full price for the everyday award, but has not decided to open saver seats.

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 6:12 pm

I have very little experience booking UA awards. However, we now have award seats on Aer Lingus to EDI (via DUB, of course) in July; but would like to get on the nonstop ORD-EDI. I know it will cost $100/person to make changes; my question is, is ORD-EDI on UA likely to ever become available for 30K in Y or 60K in J? Does UA commonly make more award seats available at the last minute, or is there no realistic chance on this narrowbody flight? I can set AwardNexus to monitor it, but they're not cheap, so I thought I would ask if hoping for anything to open up is a waste of time based on the general experience of people who do fly UA. Many thanks!
Old Mar 25, 2018, 6:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Does UA commonly make more award seats available at the last minute
It can happen at any time, whenever Inventory Management determines that it makes sense taking into account current and anticipated future bookings.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
I've booked myself a long connection at IAH for a cheaper fare on a ticket - I get into IAH around 1150 and my current ticketed flight leaves at 7-8 PM or so. Couple questions here:

If I check a bag, will UA tag it all the way through? Or will I have to pick it up and recheck in IAH? This is all UA/UX operated and there is no overnight (to make clear).

If I SDC beforehand to the later flight leaving my outstation around 4 PM (which is my hope), there won't be any issues if I claimed I was checking a bag at check in at 11 AM the day before, right?

Lastly, if I end up having to take the 11 AM flight out of my outstation, and I want to check a bag, will that cause issues if I want to try and catch an earlier connecting flight (as per my understanding once I get to IAH an earlier onward connecting flight would be free to change to)?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chermorg
I've booked myself a long connection at IAH for a cheaper fare on a ticket - I get into IAH around 1150 and my current ticketed flight leaves at 7-8 PM or so. Couple questions here:

If I check a bag, will UA tag it all the way through? Or will I have to pick it up and recheck in IAH? This is all UA/UX operated and there is no overnight (to make clear).

If I SDC beforehand to the later flight leaving my outstation around 4 PM (which is my hope), there won't be any issues if I claimed I was checking a bag at check in at 11 AM the day before, right?

Lastly, if I end up having to take the 11 AM flight out of my outstation, and I want to check a bag, will that cause issues if I want to try and catch an earlier connecting flight (as per my understanding once I get to IAH an earlier onward connecting flight would be free to change to)?
1. UA will check the bag all the way through.
2. There won't be any issues, although there's no particular reason to check the bag in online if you're concerned.
3. Once you arrive at IAH, any flight you want to change to must depart at least one hour after your request, in order to give them time to move the bag.

In practice, some agents may refuse to help you, citing the checked bag. Others may do so, but then your bag may not make it on the earlier flight (that happened to me).
chermorg likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by jsloan
1. UA will check the bag all the way through.
2. There won't be any issues, although there's no particular reason to check the bag in online if you're concerned.
3. Once you arrive at IAH, any flight you want to change to must depart at least one hour after your request, in order to give them time to move the bag.

In practice, some agents may refuse to help you, citing the checked bag. Others may do so, but then your bag may not make it on the earlier flight (that happened to me).
Thank you It's as I expected, but I wanted to confirm I wasn't crazy. Otherwise, UA may have preferred me fill out their United Club survey after spending 8+ hours consuming their alcohol in the clubs :P
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
I'm looking to book a quick mileage run IAD-NRT-HKG and back. I've so far found this fare:
https://www.kayak.com/flights/IAD-HK...t=bestflight_a
for $694 on Kayak, but I've been unsuccessful replicating it on ita matrix/united.com.

As far as I can tell, outbound seems to be on L fare, and the return seems to be on the K fare.
What I can't figure out is whether it'll be a 016- ticket, or purely an NH ticket.

Even if it's on NH, am I correct to assume that I'll still earn 100% PQM?

Will there be any issues from booking this via Kayak vs. United.com?

Thanks for the help!
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

If I check a bag, will UA tag it all the way through? Or will I have to pick it up and recheck in IAH? This is all UA/UX operated and there is no overnight (to make clear). ...
As long as the same day, single ticket and not overnight, you should be fine.
Long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

If I SDC beforehand to the later flight leaving my outstation around 4 PM (which is my hope), there won't be any issues if I claimed I was checking a bag at check in at 11 AM the day before, right? ...
Noting a bag will be checked when doing OLCI is a meaningless action -- it does nothing and changes nothing. Either, saying you will or will not does not impact anything. It is just a gateway to explaining what the fees will be to set expectations.

if I end up having to take the 11 AM flight out of my outstation, and I want to check a bag, will that cause issues if I want to try and catch an earlier connecting flight (as per my understanding once I get to IAH an earlier onward connecting flight would be free to change to)?
Doing SDC with a checked bag can be difficult. You will not be able to do SDC online or with the app, you will have to get an airport agent to do it and generally, they want an hour or more before the scheduled departure or the desired departure to allow time to re-route bags. Some will just say no.
chermorg likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JMBResona
I'm looking to book a quick mileage run IAD-NRT-HKG and back. I've so far found this fare:
for $694 on Kayak, but I've been unsuccessful replicating it on ita matrix/united.com.

As far as I can tell, outbound seems to be on L fare, and the return seems to be on the K fare.
What I can't figure out is whether it'll be a 016- ticket, or purely an NH ticket.

Thanks for the help!
Kayak will book this on ANA/NH ticket stock to get the lower price. The all UA codeshare will be booked on UA ticket stock, at the higher price.

The PQM will be the same wither way and should be 100%
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the help!
PQM is independent of ticketing stock. You will not earn PQD on partner flights on non-016 tickets, but you'll earn PQM based on the operating airline in either case.

If you book via Kayak, you'll be expected to use Kayak for any changes, which they will then charge for atop the United fees. United may agree to take control of the ticket, but they may charge you for that.

As far as why you're not seeing it on Matrix -- there are two reasons. One -- the fare doesn't validate; here's the minimum stay rule:

TRAVEL FROM TURNAROUND MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN 12 HOURS AFTER ARRIVAL AT THE TURNAROUND.
I have never seen the term "TURNAROUND" on a fare rule before, but given the context, it appears that it would carry the same meaning as "last stopover," which is to say HKG. You're departing HKG less than 12 hours after arriving, so this fare is not valid for your flight, which is why Matrix won't find it. If you select a later departure from HKG, you will see the fares -- LLW2WEM1 on the outbound and KLX2WEM1 on the return -- but the price is different.

The Kayak one also has a lower change penalty and is refundable (!) for a $120 fee if requested in advance (plus $100 to Kayak). The one from Matrix / ExpertFlyer is a standard non-refundable, $300 change fee ticket. In short, this is some kind of private Kayak fare, so even if you select valid flights on United.com, you won't get this fare to come up.

If you decide to buy the ticket, please save the fare rules locally before ticketing, just in case there are any issues later.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Kayak will book this on ANA/NH ticket stock to get the lower price. The all UA codeshare will be booked on UA ticket stock, at the higher price.

The PQM will be the same wither way and should be 100%
Thanks for the help! Is there a reason why I'm not seeing this price anywhere else, and should I be worried that it's only on Kayak and Vayama?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Is there a reason why I'm not seeing this price anywhere else, and should I be worried that it's only on Kayak and Vayama?
Yeah it may be a bulk fare.

Do you use google flights? That's my preferred search tool. It has the click-through to book on UA.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yeah it may be a bulk fare.

Do you use google flights? That's my preferred search tool. It has the click-through to book on UA.
I think my reply may have been missed: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29574775-post443.html . It appears to be a private Kayak fare, and I'd be extremely surprised if it would come up at that price on United.com. I tried Google Flights just now, and the price doesn't appear there either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.