Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Necho2
Given that a change fee (which would apply to both of us, right?) would basically swallow the value of the ticket
Fees are on a per-ticket basis, not per-PNR. If you're still flying, you don't pay any fee for your ticket. If your SO cancels, the ticket still has value, though you wouldn't need to pay the change fee until you want to use that value.

Originally Posted by Necho2
And if I head to the airport and inform the desk that she won't be able to fly on her ticket- that's about as much mitigation as I can on our behalf I assume.
Correct. If you don't so that, her ticket has no value at all.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: United 1K
What time each day does United flight status tool rollover? That is, what time does United remove the previous day's flight status and add the option to select the flight status for a future day?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Resonant Programmer
What time each day does United flight status tool rollover?
Unknown, but if you use this tool you never have to worry:
https://www.cablepick.net/united
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Resonant Programmer
What time each day does United flight status tool rollover? That is, what time does United remove the previous day's flight status and add the option to select the flight status for a future day?
IME, the UA's website flight status is based on Chicago time while the andriod app seems to be local time (midnight).
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
IME, the UA's website flight status is based on Chicago time while the andriod app seems to be local time (midnight).
Houston time. Just coincidence that Chicago is the same
Old Feb 26, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by findark
I agree - an $1,100 r/t TPAC price point in PE seems unsustainable, even in the new sardine 2-4-2 config on the 359s. Take it while it lasts; I think of PE as basically domestic F: you get everything like a true premium cabin except no bed.
I was so surprised with the price point. A bit less than double what coach was selling for. SQ runs the 777-300ER between SFO-HKG, which seems better than the A350-900, but not as good as the A380s.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 1:42 am

Programs: EuroBonus, Hilton
Thank you very much for Your answere @jsloan and @StuckinITH.

A more random question, i like to buy some memories from my longhaul flights, is it possible to buy a United Airlines coffee mug/cup onboard the plane or on the round in IAD?
Old Feb 27, 2018, 1:49 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by darkcho
... A more random question, i like to buy some memories from my longhaul flights, is it possible to buy a United Airlines coffee mug/cup onboard the plane or on the round in IAD?
Not that I am aware of but try the online United Store for United branded items.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 3:05 am

I apologize if this is frowned upon but I don't want to waste anyone's time. I am looking to purchase travel advice for a trip next January. There will be a batch of GPU's expiring in Jan 2019 and if it’s anything like this past January, they will be abundant and priced well. I am not soliciting here, I will go through eBay but I am looking for advice on choosing flights that will land me a better opportunity to get the upgrade. When building a mock itinerary earlier this year, I called united to get a feel for it and learned that there were waitlist flights and confirmed flight for upgrades. Should I go about this route when I've found my preferred flight? I.e. should I pick a route and call to ensure that my selected route has confirmed upgrades available? When would that information become known i.e. is a single flight always confirmed upgrades or can it switch?

I hope this all makes sense. I do my best to research before asking but this is a little obscure. Thank you for your time.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rajuncajun89
I apologize if this is frowned upon but I don't want to waste anyone's time. I am looking to purchase travel advice for a trip next January. There will be a batch of GPU's expiring in Jan 2019 and if it’s anything like this past January, they will be abundant and priced well. I am not soliciting here, I will go through eBay but I am looking for advice on choosing flights that will land me a better opportunity to get the upgrade. When building a mock itinerary earlier this year, I called united to get a feel for it and learned that there were waitlist flights and confirmed flight for upgrades. Should I go about this route when I've found my preferred flight? I.e. should I pick a route and call to ensure that my selected route has confirmed upgrades available? When would that information become known i.e. is a single flight always confirmed upgrades or can it switch?

I hope this all makes sense. I do my best to research before asking but this is a little obscure. Thank you for your time.
It is illegal to sell those GPUs on eBay. The best route to obtain a GPU is if you have friends who have them and then they can use them to upgrade your reserved flights.

Not easy to tell you which routes is easier to upgrade but there are some things that make it easier. Travel in the middle of the week (Tuesday, Wednesday), travel in low season for your destination, etc.

You don't need to call. If you set your United account on the setting "Expert Flyer", it will show you the fares they are selling. If you see R0, there is no upgrade that will clear at booking. If you see R1 to R9, there is upgrade that will clear immediately when applying the upgrade instrument.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by darkcho
Thank you very much for Your answere @jsloan and @StuckinITH.

A more random question, i like to buy some memories from my longhaul flights, is it possible to buy a United Airlines coffee mug/cup onboard the plane or on the round in IAD?
Thinking a little more about your question of February 23, I think that you should purchase the Economy Plus seat at $139 for your flight. If you read the Terms and conditions for the Economy Plus one-time purchase on the United website, it states: "Refund for Economy + purchases are processed automatically after schedules departure, when..............or when travel is completed in a seat of equal or greater value through the purchase of a premium cabin seating offer. If you are lucky to get a TOD offer to Polaris Business and take it, the $139 will be reimbursed. If you are unlucky and don't get a TOD offer, then at least you have a little more space in front of you.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you stick around flyertalk long enough, there is a coupon connection forum where you might be able to set up a less suspect exchange for a GPU. Also note that when using expert mode (see advice above from StuckinITH), you need to search segment by segment. E.g., if you want to go RDU-IAD-PEK, you have to search IAD-PEK individually to get an accurate indication of R inventory.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:49 am

Welcome to FT, rajuncajun89!

I will go through eBay
I would recommend against it. United actively monitors eBay and even poses as buyers and sellers to catch people violating the rules. Buying or selling can subject you to cancellation of your upgrade or your ticket, charging you the walkup fare for your ticket, and/or permanent closure of your MP account.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Refund / Credit for Fare Drop?

I think I know the answer to this already, but would like FT to confirm...

On 2/14/18, I booked two r/t tickets SFO-EWR-SFO for $763.20 total. ($381.60 each).
9/20/18 - UA 1738 K Fare
9/23/18 - UA 497 L Fare

Today, the fare is $356.60 each, still K & L fares. I'm assuming that in order to get the $25 in fare difference back, I'm going to have to pay a $200 change fee?

Thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LRMErnst
I think I know the answer to this already, but would like FT to confirm...

On 2/14/18, I booked two r/t tickets SFO-EWR-SFO for $763.20 total. ($381.60 each).
9/20/18 - UA 1738 K Fare
9/23/18 - UA 497 L Fare

Today, the fare is $356.60 each, still K & L fares. I'm assuming that in order to get the $25 in fare difference back, I'm going to have to pay a $200 change fee?

Thanks!
Correct, unfortunately. The days of fare difference credit / no change fee in such situations are long in the past!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.